Author Topic: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...  (Read 78564 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...
« Reply #400 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
You two are in a similar age bracket, Prime. Can you imagine spending these golden years pursuing hypertrophy? The soft, fat arm variety, it would appear, the main benefit of which seems to be shoveling heavy calorie-laden forkloads into a soft, fat, Herbert-like face.

Is this a wise quest?

No I can't because that doesn't work for me. My goal has always been to be fit and to look as good as possible (yes I am vain). At my age, to me looking good and being fit means not carrying around extra pounds. I am not as concerned with adding muscle as I am with maintaining as much of what I have as I can. A big thing is that I feel better when I am on the lean side.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
This forum is called Getbig, right?

If a man can cause his muscles to grow at 72 that should interest a lot of people. Building large muscles has never been seen as a wise quest.  

Although this forum is called Getbig, some folks go beyond, modify and outgrow this rather simple goal. There is evidence all around that simply being bigger than the next fellow, isn't enough.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #402 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »
You know I will always be rooting for Vince.

"Rooting" mean "have sex" in Australian.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rooting

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #403 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
One day I might meet Pellius in Hawaii. I would enjoy meeting him and talking about the Iron Game. Those islands would be great to photograph so that is another reason I would like to visit Hawaii again.

Btw, how would anyone know how solid my arms are from a photo? My arms get stronger and therefore muscle mass is increasing.

They are solid when I flex. So there you are. I will continue this experiment for a while even if no one else does.

There are so many things that people believe about life, humans and the universe. Believing something, no matter how passionate, doesn't make it right. To be right you have to either be lucky

or do a lot of work and research to find out about things. Hypertrophy is one of those elusive things. Just about everybody figures he knows what to do but few attain huge size and even fewer

do it naturally.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #404 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »
One day I might meet Pellius in Hawaii. I would enjoy meeting him and talking about the Iron Game. Those islands would be great to photograph so that is another reason I would like to visit Hawaii again.

Btw, how would anyone know how solid my arms are from a photo? My arms get stronger and therefore muscle mass is increasing.

They are solid when I flex. So there you are. I will continue this experiment for a while even if no one else does.

There are so many things that people believe about life, humans and the universe. Believing something, no matter how passionate, doesn't make it right. To be right you have to either be lucky

or do a lot of work and research to find out about things. Hypertrophy is one of those elusive things. Just about everybody figures he knows what to do but few attain huge size and even fewer

do it naturally.

Can't even begin to express how much fun this sounds. Good times.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:02 AM »

do it naturally.

You have no chance of getting past customs.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #406 on: October 21, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
I am on the first of the full body workouts and just completed a workout.  I have to alter it a little bit and break it up between two days until I can get used to it.  Its brutal.  I also may look into lowering the sets a bit or eliminate one exercise here and there.  Best workout I have done in years nonetheless! 

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #407 on: October 22, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »
Good list, best of luck. But your abrupt 180 on the previous post was quite unexpected. Two unsolicited defenses, fine, he's a pal, but you then turn and imply a li'l Basile buggery? Puzzling.

I wouldn't consider Basile a "pal" but I do respect that he is an institution and legend on the boards. Also, he has a vast array of first hand experience in the bbing world. But I do support his quest and wish him success as I would to anybody who helps human kind progress whether it be bbing or any other endeavor. If Vince develops a system that can increase the size, strength and functional ability of anybody at any age that would be a huge benefit for all.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »

You have no chance of getting past customs.

LMAO!

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
I do respect that he is an institution and legend on the boards. Also, he has a vast array of first hand experience.

Vince is the only person I know of that has developed an actual theory of hypertrophy. I do half strength and conditioning training and half higher volume DOMS Basile training. Vince is a misunderstood genius. I have read all his posts.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
Vince is the only person I know of that has developed an actual theory of hypertrophy. I do half strength and conditioning training and half higher volume DOMS Basile training. Vince is a misunderstood genius. I have read all his posts.

Please join us in Hawaii.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
Those who are following this discussion should realize that there can be only one true theory of hypertrophy. I have advocated the DOMS method whereas no one has put forward his ideas.

If there is value in what no one says then it will and should be incorporated into the complete field theory of hypertrophy. I am experimenting with less rest to see if it makes a difference.

I have been aware that two successful bodybuilders in the past have advocated training with the minimum rest between sets. I refer to Larry Scott and Milos Sarcev.

Larry did his up and down the rack dumbbell work for biceps and shoulders. Very painful to do, indeed. Milos preferred giant sets targetting the same muscle. Naturally, those doing

giant sets cannot use extreme poundages. Another trainer advocating no rest was Arthur Jones of Nautilus and MedX fame. When training Sergio Oliva he devised a program as follows:

After a brief warmup do leg presses with sufficient resistance to do something like 20 to 30 reps until failure. Then run to the leg extension machine and do 15 to 20 reps. Then run to

the squat rack and do 10 + reps. Casey Viator was strong at this routine. He used over 400 pounds in the squat. When Sergio tried to duplicate the resistance in the squat he couldn't get

up after 1 rep. After a few of these brutal sessions Sergio got much stronger.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »
Once, I trained every day for the whole of february but felt like the walking dead 28 days later.

What a post

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
Please join us in Hawaii.

Where's my invite you crinkled looking old prune ??? >:(

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: October 24, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »

Where's my invite you crinkled looking old prune ??? >:(

I didn't think you'd be interested. By all means. It would be a pleasure and an honor. You'd like it in Hawaii. Golf is huge here. Golf courses everywhere. And people here love there beer. Boy do they love their beer.

You'd fit right in.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »
Lol thread of sedentary guys who keep gayning muscle because they found the right routine yaaaaaaay 4 them
A

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2014, 04:51:49 AM »
Vince... respect your passion for bodybuilding, even at an advanced age.

But the plain truth is your just talking shit, you never actually EXPLAIN your theory. and not to be mean, but you are an old man, and you haven't changed a lick in the ten years I know you.  What are you trying to prove? seriously.

and I wouldn't start talking shit about "i don't know what I'm doing" if I were you.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2014, 04:57:39 AM »

But the plain truth is your just talking shit, you never actually EXPLAIN your theory. and not to be mean, but you are an old man, and you haven't changed a lick in the ten years I know you.  What are you trying to prove? seriously.

and I wouldn't start talking shit about "i don't know what I'm doing" if I were you.
groink im fat but i can pull off this pic better than you bro.
A

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #418 on: October 25, 2014, 05:00:19 AM »
groink im fat but i can pull off this pic better than you bro.

I missed you Mortimer F. Nigglefap

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #419 on: October 25, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »
I didn't think you'd be interested. By all means. It would be a pleasure and an honor. You'd like it in Hawaii. Golf is huge here. Golf courses everywhere. And people here love there beer. Boy do they love their beer.

You'd fit right in.

I've been to Hawaii, Maui, Kauai, and the big Island multiple times, mostly Hawaii and Maui......spent many a night drinking in Lahaina....seen the sunset from Kimos.
I've been lucky enough to play a bunch of golf.

....Its been to long. I'd love to get back again...hell we could train and you could hook me up with some turtletropin :)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Next month adonis and bass ill will report extreme gains
A

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #421 on: October 25, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
I am on the first of the full body workouts and just completed a workout.  I have to alter it a little bit and break it up between two days until I can get used to it.  Its brutal.  I also may look into lowering the sets a bit or eliminate one exercise here and there.  Best workout I have done in years nonetheless! 

you should be almost a week in.

hows it going?
b

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #422 on: October 25, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »

Anyone who stays the same for 10 years is maintaining his size which is still a good result. I am going way beyond that.

I am trying to prove that I can get my arms bigger than ever at 72 years of age. If I can do that it is important to everyone who lifts weights and even those who don't.

I also want to demonstrate what is possible using my biceps-supinator machine. I won't be using any drugs or supplements. Not even vitamins and minerals. Just a balanced diet.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #423 on: October 25, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
About 45 years ago Arthur Jones addressed the question about why so few are growing bigger muscles. According to his analysis muscleheads were not training with enough intensity. He said they were also training too long. Arthur advocated brief, intense workouts and even designed his Nautilus machines to make exercises more intense. What did we find? A few champions tried the High Intensity Training. Mike and Ray Mentzer were outspoken proponents of that way of training. Ellington Darden, PhD, wrote many books about HIT and is probably the best authority on that method today. Sergio Oliva was at his largest and most impressive size after training with Arthur.

Well, has HIT become the way to train to gain muscles? Nope. What everyone found was intensity wasn't the only factor. You needed volume as well. Arnold, Sergio and just about everyone else who got huge did it by doing volume.

So what is the factor that causes hypertrophy? It isn't intensity per se or even volume. What has to happen for the muscles to grow is something extraordinary. When you think about it such a system would soon become extremely difficult to do.

If we look at the current pros training in videos we don't see themselves training in any brutal fashion. Sure, they workout hard but we see just about everyone doing the same thing. Lots of sets and lots of different exercises.

Instead of asking what is the stimulus we can examine the aftermath of training. If and only if the muscles are sore the following few days is rapid growth occurring. Anything else is mere maintenance.

The goal then is to always try to tigger DOMS on the day following a hard workout. Then sustain the DOMS after each and every hard workout. You will see that there has to be a progression in some way.

More weight lifted, finishing the sets quicker, doing more sets. It really doesn't matter as long as the end result is always DOMS. Combine that with a diet that makes you gain a little weight and growth will occur.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
Anyone who stays the same for 10 years is maintaining his size which is still a good result. I am going way beyond that.

I am trying to prove that I can get my arms bigger than ever at 72 years of age. If I can do that it is important to everyone who lifts weights and even those who don't.

I also want to demonstrate what is possible using my biceps-supinator machine. I won't be using any drugs or supplements. Not even vitamins and minerals. Just a balanced diet.

So it has nothing to do with getting in shape, it's just for science. Just arms, huh. No desire to fix the whole shebang?