Author Topic: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...  (Read 78860 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
I feel this is the most optimal way to train.  The pumps you get are absolutely insane.  Another interesting note is that the workout forces you to stay intensely focused and what this does, engages and syncs your brain to the work being performed and nothing else.  From the start you are put immediately "in the zone" or what is known in psychology as the Flow, the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does.  I experience this all the time, especially when gaming where a lot of studies are being made regarding this phenomena.  I also used to get permanently locked in this state of mind driving at high speeds instantly.

Here is a little more info on the Flow:

Proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, this positive psychology concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields.[1]

According to Csikszentmihalyi, flow is completely focused motivation. It is a single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate experience in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. In flow, the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energized, and aligned with the task at hand. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task[2] although flow is also described (below) as a deep focus on nothing but the activity – not even oneself or one's emotions.

Flow has many of the same characteristics as (the positive aspects of) hyperfocus. However, hyperfocus is not always described in such universally glowing terms. For examples, some cases of spending "too much" time playing video games, or of getting side-tracked and pleasurably absorbed by one aspect of an assignment or task to the detriment of the assignment in general. In some cases, hyperfocus can "grab" a person, perhaps causing him or her to appear unfocused or to start several projects, but complete few.

Components of flow

Nakamura and Csíkszentmihályi identify the following six factors as encompassing an experience of flow. [3]

intense and focused concentration on the present moment
    merging of action and awareness
    a loss of reflective self-consciousness
    a sense of personal control or agency over the situation or activity
    a distortion of temporal experience, one's subjective experience of time is altered
    experience of the activity as intrinsically rewarding, also referred to as autotelic experience

Conditions for flow
Mental state in terms of challenge level and skill level, according to Csikszentmihalyi's flow model.[7] (Click on a fragment of the image to go to the appropriate article)

A flow state can be entered while performing any activity, although it is most likely to occur when one is wholeheartedly performing a task or activity for intrinsic purposes.[6][8] Passive activities like taking a bath or even watching TV usually don’t elicit flow experiences as individuals have to actively do something to enter a flow state.[9][10]

Flow theory postulates three conditions that have to be met to achieve a flow state:

One must be involved in an activity with a clear set of goals and progress. This adds direction and structure to the task.[11]
    The task at hand must have clear and immediate feedback. This helps the person negotiate any changing demands and allows them to adjust their performance to maintain the flow state.[11]
    One must have a good balance between the perceived challenges of the task at hand and their own perceived skills. One must have confidence in one's ability to complete the task at hand.[11]

However, it was argued that the antecedent factors of flow are interrelated, as a perceived balance between challenges and skills requires that one knows what he or she has to do (clear goals) and how successful he or she is in doing it (immediate feedback). Thus, a perceived fit of skills and task demands can be identified as the central precondition of flow experiences.[12]

In 1997, Csíkszentmihályi published the graph to the right. This graph depicts the relationship between the perceived challenges of a task and one's perceived skills. This graph illustrates one further aspect of flow: it is more likely to occur when the activity at hand is a higher-than-average challenge (above the center point) and the individual has above-average skills (to the right of the center point).[6] The center of this graph (where the sectors meet) represents one's average levels of challenge and skill across all activities an individual performs during their daily life. The further from the center an experience is, the greater the intensity of that state of being (whether it is flow or anxiety or boredom or relaxation).[8]

Several problems of this model have been discussed in literature.[12][13] One is, that it does not ensure a perceived balance between challenges and skills which is supposed to be the central precondition of flow experiences. Individuals with a low average level of skills and a high average level of challenges (or the other way round) do not necessarily experience a fit between skills and challenges when both are above their individual average.[14] In addition, one study found that low challenge situations which were surpassed by skill were associated with enjoyment, relaxation, and happiness, which, they claim, is contrary to flow theory.[15]

Schaffer (2013) proposed 7 flow conditions:

Knowing what to do
    Knowing how to do it
    Knowing how well you are doing
    Knowing where to go (if navigation is involved)
    High perceived challenges
    High perceived skills
    Freedom from distractions[16]

Schaffer also published a measure, the Flow Condition Questionnaire (FCQ), to measure each of these 7 flow conditions for any given task or activity.[16]

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Re: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
I also have a tip for anyone who is going to give it a try.  No One was not joking when he said, put all that stuff about weight and reps out of your mind.  What I found that worked from the start was, just picking one weight and sticking with it the entire exercise.  Don`t even count the reps.  Just do whatever selected weight and go nearly to failure, take a few breaths, and do the same weight again and so on.  Then next week or what have you, increase whatever weight you were using just by a little bit. (which is the way I will approach it).

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
FFS chill the fuck out.

Its lifting weights and putting them down again, only a bit quicker.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »
I also have a tip for anyone who is going to give it a try.  No One was not joking when he said, put all that stuff about weight and reps out of your mind.  What I found that worked from the start was, just picking one weight and sticking with it the entire exercise.  Don`t even count the reps.  Just do whatever selected weight and go nearly to failure, take a few breaths, and do the same weight again and so on.  Then next week or what have you, increase whatever weight you were using just by a little bit. (which is the way I will approach it).

TA, how long were you resting between sets (average number)?
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
I completed a workout in about 20 minutes or so that nearly took me an hour to an hour and 15 or more sometimes.  Afterwards, I couldn`t even lift my arms without shaking and that blood engorged feeling.  It lasted hours.  I still feel it today even.  Everything is very tight and feels like I just worked out.  This, is the most ideal and optimal way to train for sure.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »
TA, how long were you resting between sets (average number)?
I wasn`t.  I would literally take 3-5 deep breaths and go again.  The good thing about this is, it forces you to actually do work and the weight does not have to be great at all.  I can also envision that one could "Go Heavy" in a sense with this approach by selecting a weight and doing around 1-6 reps (thats all you may be able to get) each set.  I chose a weight that I could do about 20-25 reps with and took it from there.

You really feel that you are doing actual work with this routine. 

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »

TA your approaching this 100% correctly. I know also that you did the routine to the T based on your feedback ie- the pump and how the training leaves you pretty drained.

the reason this is so powerful is that you pump and fullness you have experienced once you get to week 9 stays. it's doesn't dissipate really due to the constant stress the muscle is under.

it def keeps you locked into the task at hand. you don't have time to look at the TV or chat up broads. in that it causes you to focus and like you found forces a better mind muscle connection. as I alluded to in my original post there's all kinds of benefit to training like this but I wasn't here to sell the system. if you wanted to find out what the benefits were your have to get off your lazy ass and try it. kinda weeds out the undesirables this way- those who want to be hand fed everything with an expectation of behind deserving.

were a lazy society who wants to be 'sold' something. were to lazy and unmotivated to try something unless were sold on it. this program rewards those who aren't lazy like yourself.

the flow as you called it is also known as the zone in sports. my whole life I have been athletic. and only ONCE can I say I have been in the zone. I was playing 4 on 4 full court at a Y abt 12 years ago. I was running down floor w the ball. man I shit you not EVERYTHING slowed down- I became fluid. I used to pass very well that was my thing- setting up the play- I threw the ball overhand to the forward in the low post but I let the ball slide of my fingers at the last second so I could catch the ball with the back of my hand reversed my grip on it and passed it around my neck to the guy trailing behind me to my left who scored an easy lay up cause every defender bit on the original pass. my buddy came up and said 'brah that looked fucking awesome' I'm like I have no idea how I did it. it was an automatic response to the stimulus at that exact moment. unthinking fluid and effortless. I get that feeling almost every time I'm ripping trails on my mountain bike now. total fluidity and effortless control. it's very addictive. better than any drug.
b

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
TA your approaching this 100% correctly. I know also that you did the routine to the T based on your feedback ie- the pump and how the training leaves you pretty drained.

the reason this is so powerful is that you pump and fullness you have experienced once you get to week 9 stays. it's doesn't dissipate really due to the constant stress the muscle is under.

it def keeps you locked into the task at hand. you don't have time to look at the TV or chat up broads. in that it causes you to focus and like you found forces a better mind muscle connection. as I alluded to in my original post there's all kinds of benefit to training like this but I wasn't here to sell the system. if you wanted to find out what the benefits were your have to get off your lazy ass and try it. kinda weeds out the undesirables this way- those who want to be hand fed everything with an expectation of behind deserving.

were a lazy society who wants to be 'sold' something. were to lazy and unmotivated to try something unless were sold on it. this program rewards those who aren't lazy like yourself.

the flow as you called it is also known as the zone in sports. my whole life I have been athletic. and only ONCE can I say I have been in the zone. I was playing 4 on 4 full court at a Y abt 12 years ago. I was running down floor w the ball. man I shit you not EVERYTHING slowed down- I became fluid. I used to pass very well that was my thing- setting up the play- I threw the ball overhand to the forward in the low post but I let the ball slide of my fingers at the last second so I could catch the ball with the back of my hand reversed my grip on it and passed it around my neck to the guy trailing behind me to my left who scored an easy lay up cause every defender bit on the original pass. my buddy came up and said 'brah that looked fucking awesome' I'm like I have no idea how I did it. it was an automatic response to the stimulus at that exact moment. unthinking fluid and effortless. I get that feeling almost every time I'm ripping trails on my mountain bike now. total fluidity and effortless control. it's very addictive. better than any drug.

Inspiring

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
you did one work out using this method and are already certain it is the optimal way to train  ::)

and it's really nothing groundbreaking it's just high volume over heavy weights, as there will be a massive trade in the weights you will be using when not resting at all between sets.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
FFS chill the fuck out.

Only this.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
33386's workout were you do 1 min on, 15 seconds off for 45 sets is similar, but doesn't use traditional BB exercises.
Y

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »

This is really the best way to go about training.  It really will weed people out for many reason.  I can see many ego lifters losing their mind when they have to drop weights by 50 or more pounds.  The Zone is an interesting phenomena.  Your subconscious takes over totally and you function on autopilot.  A lot of tasks I do seem to trigger it.  I find myself asking after a completed project or what have you, "how the hell did I do all of that.  I don`t even remember doing it at the time".  Its really an intense feeling.  Its really interesting when you are in that zone and fall out of it briefly and you come to the realization that you really were not actively enaged at all, but you were functioning on all twelve cylinders-top performance- the entire time without realizing it.

Imagine being able to control the on/off switch of this phenomena at any time and what you could be capable of mentally and physically.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
you did one work out using this method and are already certain it is the optimal way to train  ::)

and it's really nothing groundbreaking it's just high volume over heavy weights, as there will be a massive trade in the weights you will be using when not resting at all between sets.
High Volume?  Its whatever volume you want.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »
FFS chill the fuck out.

This. Weightlifting isn't rocket surgery.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
I completed a workout in about 20 minutes or so that nearly took me an hour to an hour and 15 or more sometimes.  Afterwards, I couldn`t even lift my arms without shaking and that blood engorged feeling.  It lasted hours.  I still feel it today even.  Everything is very tight and feels like I just worked out.  This, is the most ideal and optimal way to train for sure.

Do you have any DOMS with that tightness?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
Do you have any DOMS with that tightness?
I do and haven`t had DOMS in a very long time, despite changing routines and of course, being very consistent as always.  First time in months actually.

I noticed Arnold has been using a similar method in his current training.  He has been saying he does set after set, no rest at all.  He said he wishes he trained this way decades ago (according to him, he would have been in the gym way less with the same or better results, than what he did) which I found interesting.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
TA effortlessly trolling in this thread,  I doff my cap to you sir.

Sublime.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
i found that i got this nostalgic feeling about training, like an excitedness i hadn't felt in years. i used to get this feeling about practicing an instrument - the desire to push myself, challenge myself, see and feel progress. i've been training for years and never had this level of excitement, anticipation about it. every day it's still strong, like i can't wait to push my body even harder.

as for weights, like actual numbers, mine went down. a lot. i do a 'warm up' set of as many as i can (usually 50 or so) with a light weight, and then the 5 seconds between sets from set 1 onward using as heavy as i can bear up to 6-8 reps. my mind is sharp and present and i ride the pumps through each set.

it's liberating not to give a fuck about numbers and really focus on adapting.

Same exact experience here and am glad to see that it persists as No One indicated it will.

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
i found that i got this nostalgic feeling about training, like an excitedness i hadn't felt in years. i used to get this feeling about practicing an instrument - the desire to push myself, challenge myself, see and feel progress. i've been training for years and never had this level of excitement, anticipation about it. every day it's still strong, like i can't wait to push my body even harder.

as for weights, like actual numbers, mine went down. a lot. i do a 'warm up' set of as many as i can (usually 50 or so) with a light weight, and then the 5 seconds between sets from set 1 onward using as heavy as i can bear up to 6-8 reps. my mind is sharp and present and i ride the pumps through each set.

it's liberating not to give a fuck about numbers and really focus on adapting.

::)

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
TA.. greatest troll in the history of getbig

Noone.. shut the fuck up old man. Anyone who knows shit about shit knows your books are shill bait and your retarded dinosaur ass isn't even profiting.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
TA.. greatest troll in the history of getbig

He's potentially the greatest of all time.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
Same exact experience here and am glad to see that it persists as No One indicated it will.

TA, I skimmed the thread and need the cliff notes version.
Can you tell me aprox the body part, exercises and reps you used and rest between sets?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
33386's workout were you do 1 min on, 15 seconds off for 45 sets is similar, but doesn't use traditional BB exercises.

Except with mine - its functional and works out everything and applicable to real life tasks. 

Have crushed people trying my routine who are BB types thinking they are fit. 

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »
High Volume?  Its whatever volume you want.

well if i read the original thread correct(i did only skim tbf) , the aim was to build up to 5+ full body work outs per week. so you're training every body part 5+ times a week. i would say that might be considered high volume ::)