Author Topic: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.  (Read 40368 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
Obama names Ebola czar with NO healthcare experience to take over bungled response to crisis
Ron Klain will coordinate the Obama administration's Ebola response efforts
He is a longtime Democratic Party political operative and generous political donor with no background in medicine or public health
Klain was chief of staff to Vice Presidents Al Gore and Joe Biden
Managed Gore's legal team during the 2000 presidential election recount in Florida and ran debate prep for John Kerry in 2004
Kevin Spacey portrayed him in the movie 'Recount' – and his character in the movie 'Outbreak' died of Ebola
Klain boasted that he was responsible for hiring Obama's second White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney

By David Martosko, Us Political Editor for MailOnline

Published: 09:57 EST, 17 October 2014  | Updated: 11:46 EST, 17 October 2014 

shares

View
 comments

President Barack Obama has named Democratic political operative and loyal party donor Ron Klain as his 'Ebola czar' an administration source confirmed on Friday.

Klain, a lawyer and former Supreme Court clerk, was part of the team that helped the president prepare for his debates during the 2008 election cycle. He served as chief of staff to Vice President Joe Biden until 2011 and served the same role for Vice President Al Gore during the 1990s.

In 2000 Klain helmed Gore's legal operation overseeing the contentious and lengthy ballot recounts in the all-important Florida presidential contest. He also ran then-Senator John Kerry's debate preparation team in the 2004 presidential election.

Federal Election Commission records collected by the Center for Responsive Politics show that Klain has donated $17,890 to Democratic candidates and campaign committees.

He gave $1,000 to Barack Obama in 2006 when the president was a U.S. senator who hadn't yet waded into the White House race.

SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO

Kevin Spacey (right) played Democratic Party veteran Ron Klain (left) in the movie 'Outbreak' but his character died of Ebola in the film

+4
Kevin Spacey (right) played Democratic Party veteran Ron Klain (left) in the movie 'Outbreak' but his character died of Ebola in the film

Out of time: CDC chief Dr. Thomas Frieden (right) has been Obama's most visible Ebola-fighter but his agency's stumbles drove many in Congress to demand a new whole-government coordinator

+4
Out of time: CDC chief Dr. Thomas Frieden (right) has been Obama's most visible Ebola-fighter but his agency's stumbles drove many in Congress to demand a new whole-government coordinator

Up, up and away: Klain (standing, right) was chief of staff to VP Joe Biden (left) until 2011, and will become intimately familiar with the new dangers of flying

+4
Up, up and away: Klain (standing, right) was chief of staff to VP Joe Biden (left) until 2011, and will become intimately familiar with the new dangers of flying

Klain's other contributions include a $250 check to Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Joe Kennedy this year and three donations totaling $5,700 to Massachusetts Democratic Senator Joe Markey in 2013.

Kevin Spacey portrayed him in the HBO movie 'Recount'; in the later film 'Outbreak,' his character dies of Ebola.

Klain's published biographies indicate nothing in his professional history related to medicine or public health.

In 2009 the Obama White House tapped him to supervise the allocation of money tied to the president's ill-fated economic stimulus package.

This year when White House Press Secretary Jay Carney retired, Klain boasted on Twitter that he was 'the person who hired' him.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

carnival_splash.jpg
Ebola scare on Caribbean cruise ship: Health worker quarantined in cabin after coming into contact...

The military is using an Ebola screening machine that could have diagnosed the Ebola cases in Texas far faster, but government guidelines prevent hospitals from using it to actually screen for Ebola. It?s a toaster-sized box called Film Array, produced by a company called BioFire, a subsidiary of bioMérieux and it?s capable of detecting Ebola with a high degree of confidence ? in under an hour. Incredibly, it was present at Dallas Presbyterian Hospital when Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan walked through the door, complaining of fever and he had just come from Liberia. Duncan was sent home, but even still, FDA guidelines prohibited the hospital from using the machine to screen for Ebola. The Film Array retails for about $39,000 per unit and can screen for the genetic markers of a wide number of respiratory, gastro-intestinal and other illness, including Ebola, but only with the right ?kit? in place. Current FDA guidelines would not have allowed Dallas Presbyterian Hospital to get t
Dallas hospital that treated three Ebola patients had machine that can detect disease in just...

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is greeted by state GOP Chair Jennifer Horn at the party headquarters Thursday Oct. 16, 2014 in Concord, N.H. The possible 2016 Republican presidential candidate was in the nation's first presidential primary state to rally voters ahead of the November election. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)
Rand Paul claims Ebola is 'incredibly contagious' and White House is being dishonest about how...

Jay Carney: Obama should implement Ebola travel ban to ‘demonstrate seriousness’

Fresh Ebola fears after a passenger flying from to Nigeria to JFK dies in his seat after vomiting...

Inside the Frontier flight with Ebola stricken nurse from Ohio to Texas: Strippers who sat three...

Ebola nurse in isolation, but not alone: Moment doctor teared up in his Hazmat suit as he thanked...

Fund to fight Ebola has only $100,000 left in the bank, says UN chief

Photo of CNN hosts making light of Ebola on set sparks fury on Twitter

The president's choice of Ebola quarterback indicates the White House's need for a strong manager, not necessarily another epidemiologist to cross swords with Dr. Thomas Frieden, the embattled director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Following an Ebola meeting at the White House on Thursday, Obama conceded that 'it may make sense for us to have one person' to coordinate the administration's Ebola response efforts.

That way, he added, 'after this initial surge of activity, we can have a more regular process just to make sure that we're crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's going forward.'

White House Homeland Security adviser Lisa Monaco had been acting as Obama's Ebola coordinator, but the president said she and National Security Adviser Susan Rice were stretched too thin to devote time and attention to Ebola.

CNN first broke the news that Klain would be named to the point-person job dealing with the United States' new exposure to the Ebola virus.

The decision suggests that the White House is more interested in putting out political fires and protecting the president than in coordinating the government's public health infrastructure in a time of crisis.

Loyal Democrat: Portions of Klain's Twitter feed are a tribute to political initiatives on the left

Loyal Democrat: Portions of Klain's Twitter feed are a tribute to political initiatives on the left

Mocking: Reactions online ranged from congratulatory (from Democratic operatives) to desultory (from scientists)

+4
Mocking: Reactions online ranged from congratulatory (from Democratic operatives) to desultory (from scientists)

President Obama considers appointing 'Ebola Czar'

Klain wrote a widely circulated memo in 2012 aimed at helping Democratic operatives prepare their candidates for pre-election debates.

'Punches are good, counterpunches are better,' he wrote then.

It may be too late for Obama to take advantage of another Klain nostrum: 'While you can lose a debate any time, you can only win it in the first 30 minutes.'

When Klain left the Obama administration, he landed the top job as president of Case Holdings, the investment holding company of Steve Case, the former chairman of AOL.

New York Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer praised the White House for its decision.

'I've known Ron Klain for over twenty years,; Schumer said Friday. 'He is smart, aggressive, and levelheaded; exactly the qualities we need in a czar to steer our response to Ebola. He is an excellent choice.

Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King disagreed.

'President Obama will name political operative Ron Klain as #EbolaCzar,' he tweeted. 'Too much Obama Administration competition to name him #EbolaSpinCzar.'

Read more: Obama will name Ron Klain as Ebola Czar - CNN.com

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2797340/obama-taps-political-operative-no-health-care-background-ebola-czar-job-new-cases-emerge-lawmakers-demand-action.html#ixzz3GQDDCTs5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
why am i delusional... tell me... because i said cops disproportionately target blacks?
Thats why youre mad.

If you want to discuss stats we can on another thread. But if you want to contribute to hysteria over 1 death in a month... thats just ignoring stats

Fuck Ebola - its Obama that's the main death causing cancer and plague in this nation right now

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
You're not data driven.   You're delusional as hell, man.  Does anyone consider this fool data driven?  

I always ask, What are the numbers?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
Fuck Ebola - its Obama that's the main death causing cancer and plague in this nation right now

thats just retarded.
But youre good with archer because you he agrees with your politics... incredible

talk about consistancy

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
I always ask, What are the numbers?

Oh my god.  Seriously, you are a delusional person.  I don't care about the numbers.  What I care about is your utter lack of self-awareness of your total hypocrisy.  You have never demonstrated any appreciation for or knowledge of data.  You said people on this thread think you're data driven.  Besides yourself, who thinks that?
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
thats just retarded.
But youre good with archer because you he agrees with your politics... incredible

talk about consistancy

about what?  Personally I don't think Ebola is a disaster YET - but the potential is there given the shameful incompetence of Obola Admn to make small things drastically worse.  

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
thats just retarded.

talk about consistancy

Here is the thing.  The number of actual deaths in the United States has nothing to do with what precautions need to be established to prevent more infections.  Every outbreak starts with only a small number of infected or dying.   

hahaha, data driven.  I can't get over it.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
This is the guy who thinks cops are out hunting for black males even when every statistic says otherwise.  He picks and chooses the statistics he pays attention to.

I've never heard him say that, but we know that the biggest threat to blacks is other blacks, given that the perpetrator in 9 out of 10 black murder victims is black. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
We go full retard with the hysteria right? Were going hard with the "outbreak Scnerio" (for whatever reason)
So i wanted to confirm everyones understanding of the stats...

And so far, hang nail has killed more people on the US than Ebola..

The stats dont jive with the rhetoric.

but feel free to carry on

That sounds pretty shortsighted.  You cannot get a hangnail by sitting next to someone who has a hangnail.  We're talking about a highly contagious disease with an astronomically high kill rate and no cure.  And our government has been acting like a bunch of scatterbrains.  Of course we should be worried about this.  I certainly am.  

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »
That sounds pretty shortsighted.  You cannot get a hangnail by sitting next to someone who has a hangnail.  We're talking about a highly contagious disease with an astronomically high kill rate.  And our government has been acting like a bunch of scatterbrains.  Of course we should be worried about this.  I certainly am.  

What he is saying is, the public should only worry about ebola after it kills a larger number of people.  How logical is that?  

I've never heard him say that, but we know that the biggest threat to blacks is other blacks, given that the perpetrator in 9 out of 10 black murder victims is black.  

Read his comments on Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. Notice he never denied the accusation.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »
What he is saying is, the public should only worry about ebola after it kills a larger number of people.  How logical is that?  

Read his comments on Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. Notice he never denied the accusation.

Completely illogical, if that's his point. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
Because dipshit - look what happened in West Africa as this thing spread?  They started out w only a few cases too remember and that drug addicted homo president we have said it would NEVER come here remember?

But I thought Africans aren't even smart enough to wash their balls.  

And, if that's so, why would this disease be expected to have the same impact here in America?

I'm half joking but a lot of folks seem to be jumping the gun a bit with all this fear of Ebola.  Especially since it's not supposed to be contagious by air.  

Let's see if the folks who contract Ebola here in the USA (2 so far, right?) and receive first-world medical attention from the get-go recover or not.  

It's my guess that there are more than a few potentially fatal contagious diseases that one can pick up from foreign countries that kill more Americans every year than Ebola has so far.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
Obama’s New Ebola ‘Czar’ Does Not Have Medical, Health Care Background
CBS DC ^  | 10/17/14 | CBSDC/AP

Posted on ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2014‎ ‎1‎:‎01‎:‎51‎ ‎PM by jimbo123

President Barack Obama on Friday turned to a trusted adviser to lead the nation’s Ebola response as efforts to clamp down on any possible route of infection from three Texas cases expanded, reaching a cruise ship at sea and multiple airline flights.

Facing renewed criticism of his handling of the Ebola risk, Obama will make Ron Klain, a former chief of staff to Vice President Joe Biden, his point man on fighting Ebola at home and in West Africa. Klain will report to national security adviser Susan Rice and to homeland security adviser Lisa Monaco, the White House said.

Klain does not have a medical or a health care background.

Rep. Andy Harris, R-Md., slammed the decision on Twitter.

“Worst ebola epidemic in world history and Pres. Obama puts a government bureaucrat with no healthcare experience in charge. Is he serious?” Harris tweeted.

(Excerpt) Read more at washington.cbslocal.com ...

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »

And, if that's so, why would this disease be expected to have the same impact here in America?

I'm half joking but a lot of folks seem to be jumping the gun a bit with all this fear of Ebola.  Especially since it's not supposed to be contagious by air.  

Let's see if the folks who contract Ebola here in the USA (2 so far, right?) and receive first-world medical attention from the get-go recover or not.  

It's my guess that there are more than a few potentially fatal contagious diseases that one can pick up from foreign countries that kill more Americans every year than Ebola has so far.

Very well reasoned post, kore!  
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »
1.  Ebola rhymes w Obama so I guess the name has resonance w the public. 

2.  I am looking for anything to trash him over, big or small - so while its not a disaster yet - it has the potential to be given the rank incompetence by Obola oh sorry - Obama, so why not start pointing fingers early on this? 

;)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
Nigeria?  Right, right.  Are these effective containment methods politically correct in rich, western nations?

You seem to be alluding to inhumane treatment of victims in Nigeria or something.  If you really have knowledge of that kind of thing, please share.

And, compared to Liberia and Sierra Leone, isn't Nigeria a rich nation?  -- I ask this because I used to have this Nigerian woman cut my hair who mentioned that she'd soon be making a trip back to Nigeria to visit her family.  When she mentioned that she'd be bringing her 2 teenaged kids who'd been raised in the USA but had been to Nigeria before a few times, I asked her what they thought of Nigeria;  I told her that the kids of some of my (Thai) wife's Thai friends didn't like going to Thailand and called it "that dirty place".  I could tell that she didn't think that was cool at all and sort of snootily told me that unlike my wife's friends, her family was not "from the village".  

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
Here is a pretty decent article about Ebola in Nigeria.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/10/15/nigeria_and_senegal_on_the_verge_of_being_declared_ebola_free_can_we_learn.html

The success these countries had in containing the outbreak is going to prompt some discussion of what lessons can be learned for other places fighting Ebola. The Financial Times attributes Nigeria’s achievement to a “rare national effort that saw the Lagos state government, federal institutions, the private sector, and global non-governmental organizations all pulling in the same direction to defeat the disease.” That national effort included a presidential decree that gave officials access to phone records and a strict system to monitor potential cases, one that involved tracking down more than 800 people who may have had contact with the infected.

But arguably, Nigeria didn’t actually do a very impressive job. A single Liberian man, who traveled to Nigeria in July, infected 11 hospital staff in the time between his admission to a hospital and when his test results were received. There might have been more infections if not for a doctors’ strike that reduced the number of people who came in contact with him. One doctor told the New York Times, “At the time, nobody was prepared for it.”

The advantage Nigeria had was that its outbreak began with this one man, who was immediately taken from the airport to a clinic, at a time when Ebola was already a crisis. By contrast, international agencies and authorities in the three countries at the epicenter of the outbreak—Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone—didn’t wake up to the severity of the disease until dozens were already infected.
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
Very well reasoned post, kore!  

Thanks.  

I don't know much about Ebola except for that I watched that 30 minute Vice documentary about the disease in Liberia.  And what struck me while watching it was how freaking poor Liberia is.  

I wouldn't want to try to survive a case of the flu in that place.

Please note that I will start worrying if one of those Dallas nurses dies from this.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
Thanks.  

I don't know much about Ebola except for that I watched that 30 minute Vice documentary about the disease in Liberia.  And what struck me while watching it was how freaking poor Liberia is.  

I wouldn't want to try to survive a case of the flu in that place.

Please note that I will start worrying if one of those Dallas nurses dies from this.

Liberia has been in a near constant state of war and infighting.   In an example of historical irony, upon their arrival the free blacks from america dominated the the indigenous people economically and socially.  Eventually this would erupt  in violence.

I'm not really worried about the disease myself.  I think people have gotten their act together after the nurses were infected.
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Liberia has been in a near constant state of war and infighting.   In an example of historical irony, upon their arrival the free blacks from america dominated the the indigenous people economically and socially.  Eventually this would erupt  in violence.

I'm not really worried about the disease myself.  I think people have gotten their act together after the nurses were infected.
same here.
the attitude completely shifted after the dallas issue..m suddenly people realized 'oh shit, its here, maybe we should take this a little more seriously', rather than listening to the CDC and .gov telling them a bunch of feel good BS. Once the citizens start getting upset, .gov starts taking action.

Problem is its so hard to find that fine line between apathy and overreaction...
normally we go full blown panic mode thanks to the media...

this time we went the other way in 'dont give a fuck' mode because we were so used to the media going 'boy who cried wolf' mode... and this is the one time we should have been somewhar cautious.

I dont why we cant just be cautious and follow a quarantine procedure instead of either freaking out or sticking our heads in the sand....

Probably just another example of how polarized our country is..... people pick a side, go to the extreme, and refuse to be reasonable.

Seems everything is political, even dealing with a disease.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
same here.
the attitude completely shifted after the dallas issue..m suddenly people realized 'oh shit, its here, maybe we should take this a little more seriously', rather than listening to the CDC and .gov telling them a bunch of feel good BS. Once the citizens start getting upset, .gov starts taking action.

Problem is its so hard to find that fine line between apathy and overreaction...
normally we go full blown panic mode thanks to the media...

this time we went the other way in 'dont give a fuck' mode because we were so used to the media going 'boy who cried wolf' mode... and this is the one time we should have been somewhar cautious.

I dont why we cant just be cautious and follow a quarantine procedure instead of either freaking out or sticking our heads in the sand....

Probably just another example of how polarized our country is..... people pick a side, go to the extreme, and refuse to be reasonable.

Seems everything is political, even dealing with a disease.

The hospital blew it and they know it.  There is a lot more public scrutiny and pressure on hospitals now to take the issue seriously. 
A

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
He picks and chooses the statistics he pays attention to.

Oh, the irony. Coming from the guy who never met a statistic that he interpreted correctly.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
Oh, the irony. Coming from the guy who never met a statistic that he interpreted correctly.

Why is it that ever source but you and the black supremacist site you took your opinion from interpret the data exactly as I did?  It's whats called a sampling size.  This is how all statistics are calculated.   
A

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:16 PM »
The weight counts series incidents as the actual number of incidents reported by the victim, up to a maximum of 10 incidents. Including series victimizations in national rates results in rather large increases in the level of violent victimization; however, trends in violence are generally similar regardless of whether series victimizations are included.

In 2012, series incidents accounted for about 1% of all victimizations and 4% of all violent victimizations. Weighting series incidents as the number of incidents up to a maximum of 10 incidents produces more reliable estimates of crime levels, while the cap at 10 minimizes the effect of extreme outliers on the rates. Additional information on the series enumeration is detailed in the report Methods for Counting High Frequency Repeat Victimizations in the National Crime Victimization Survey, NCJ 237308, BJS web, April 2012.

Right from their webiste.  They know what they are doing. Now go back to whining about white people.

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245#Methodology
A

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
The weight counts series incidents as the actual number of incidents reported by the victim, up to a maximum of 10 incidents. Including series victimizations in national rates results in rather large increases in the level of violent victimization; however, trends in violence are generally similar regardless of whether series victimizations are included.

In 2012, series incidents accounted for about 1% of all victimizations and 4% of all violent victimizations. Weighting series incidents as the number of incidents up to a maximum of 10 incidents produces more reliable estimates of crime levels, while the cap at 10 minimizes the effect of extreme outliers on the rates. Additional information on the series enumeration is detailed in the report Methods for Counting High Frequency Repeat Victimizations in the National Crime Victimization Survey, NCJ 237308, BJS web, April 2012.

Right from their webiste.  They know what they are doing. Now go back to whining about white people.

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245#Methodology

You know, I was prepared to post a rough list of all of the wrong statistical interpretations that you have posted in literally every thread I remember you posting a stat, but I don't even have to. This is the perfect example. I assume you're posting this in reference to that study  having less than 10 sample cases for what you interpreted as a black-on-white epidemic. That's not what your quoted text means. "Series incidents "means a crime or a group of crimes involving the same victims and perpetrators. So, if a guy beats his girlfriend several times, it is capped at ten within the statistics. It doesn't mean that less than 10 case studies is weighted to be accurate.

In the VERY NEXT SECTION of the page you linked to there is this:
In cases where the CV is greater than 50%, or the unweighted sample had 10 or fewer cases, the estimate is noted with a “!” symbol (Interpret data with caution. Estimate based on 10 or fewer sample cases, or the coefficient of variation is greater than 50%).

So, yeah, you don't understand facts. At all. And this is a habit for you. EVery single time I have looked into any stats you posted, they were either complete bullshit it interpreted wildly inaccurately.