Author Topic: The RIGHT way to take some competitive bodybuilding advice  (Read 876 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The RIGHT way to take some competitive bodybuilding advice
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
21 yrs ago I competed (and placed) in the Lt Hvy class of the NPC Greater Gulf States.
Since it was an NPC national qualifier,  national judge and masters champ Errol Broussard gave us the briefing before the night show finals:

" This is a national qualifier so we are going to do our best to give you an experience that will prepare you for a national contest tonight.
If you are the least bit late, to line up when your class is called to go out on stage, you'll be disqualified. I don't care if you are sick or taking a leak. If you are not there to line up with your class, you will be disqualified.

At national shows, they have very little tolerance for anyone who isn't on time and ready to go when called. I've seen guys disqualified for missing the line up call because they were in the bathroom. That's a real shame if you ask me. You spend all that time and energy getting ready for a national show. Most of us diet for several weeks for that few minutes on stage. Plus, think of all the money you will spend on air travel, rental cars, hotels and  supplements, etc.

So, let's avoid all that and be sure to be ready to go when we call your class tonight."

My thoughts were , he is 100% serious. So, I'll never spend that much money to travel and compete in a national level contest.
The only NPC national level contest I ever did, was the 1988 Jr USA, held 50 miles from where I lived at the time.

I knew from Erol's speech and my own observations, that trying to "advance" in BB, was like putting $$ down a rat hole.
For all but a handful , it was a thankless task and most are treated like cattle at the biggest events.
Going to regional events in my geographic area always gave me the most bang for the buck.

Ron and I disagree on the wisdom of going to the Olympia. BUT to me , it's overpriced hype.
I much prefer the Europa type of IFBB contests.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: The RIGHT way to take some competitive bodybuilding advice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
Schmoe of peace.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The RIGHT way to take some competitive bodybuilding advice
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
to try to make a career off bodybuilding is a joke, guys killing their insides for chump change.look at the money good pro boxers make(mayweather) compared to good pro bodybuilders(heath),its a joke.phil would have to win the Olympia 100 times in one year to make that kinda money :D its just a bad career choice no matter how u slice it,keeping bodybuilding at a level where u r training hard and enjoying yourself and if u can make a few bucks on the side why not,just don't be foolish and try to make it a career people
R