Author Topic: Whats a good time to workout if i work "NIGHTSHIFTS"  (Read 1488 times)

2good4u

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Whats a good time to workout if i work "NIGHTSHIFTS"
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
ok here is the deal i have a great union job that pays well but its at night 10:30pm to 6:30am
with Monday and Tuesday off. Before getting this job i was in the gym around 10:00am or 11:00am
everyday. Now i cant seem to wakeup to get to the gym no matter how i have tried.

I usually get home around 7:30am take my dog for a 30minute walk then i may watch the news till
9:00am then i sleep from about 9:00am to 6:00pm and who wants to go to the gym at 6:00pm which
is the height of the Rush and crowds.

so in short when is a good time for me to work out? tried the home gym thing it never got used btw
live in Bronx New york......

help my body is suffering due to lack of working out >:(

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Whats a good time to workout if i work "NIGHTSHIFTS"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
I'd go after work if you can work it around the dog. You haven't said how many days you want to go, but I'd go heavy upper body, heavy lower body on monday-tuesday, skip Wednesday, Thursday - small parts. Or Monday - upper body front, Tuesday- lower body back, skip wednesday, Thursday - upper body back, Friday - lower body front. Or the old Heavy day, light day, skip, heavy, light.

There are also a ton of Powerlifting splits that would work well.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
You gotta go right after work and walk the dog in the evening, it will only get harder to hit the gym if you keep not going.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
ok here is the deal i have a great union job that pays well but its at night 10:30pm to 6:30am
with Monday and Tuesday off. Before getting this job i was in the gym around 10:00am or 11:00am
everyday. Now i cant seem to wakeup to get to the gym no matter how i have tried.

I usually get home around 7:30am take my dog for a 30minute walk then i may watch the news till
9:00am then i sleep from about 9:00am to 6:00pm and who wants to go to the gym at 6:00pm which
is the height of the Rush and crowds.

so in short when is a good time for me to work out? tried the home gym thing it never got used btw
live in Bronx New york......

help my body is suffering due to lack of working out >:(

You didn't mention how long you've been working this shift. If it hasn't been very long, your internal clock hasn't had time to adjust. Give it some time and you'll find a schedule that works for you.

A lot of folks go to the gym an hour or two before going to work. In your situation, that would be 8:30 p.m. Most gyms are not real crowded around this time.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
I also work at night, so i work out at the gym on  my days off and i bought some used weights and a bench of craigslist to do arms  and tris a home.  the days i dont go, i take my dog for a little run to do some cardio.  Goota find a way to work it in, something is better than nothing.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »
my dog will not "poop" on his wee-wee pad or in my apartment (never has in 6 years) he only using his pad for peeing
so i feel bad making him wait till the evening to do his business, there is no way i believe my dog will allow me to come
home and go right to bed after working out oh i forgot to mention after or before his 30minute walk i run him thru the
house for 15 or 20minutes to burn off some energy because he has been laying around all night while im at work and he
has a ton of energy built up.

my friends who have seen me recently have all commented "what happened" i used to be the most jacked one in the group
and the leanest, but not so much anymore....Real life sucks.... :-[   working overnight for a year has completly turned my life
around

After a year you should have been able to adjust to the change in shift. The fact that you haven't could mean that it isn't compatible with your biological/internal clock. Life is too short to let a job ruin it. No matter how good the money is, you should consider looking for a job that will give you your life back.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »
i know but both my parents would be doing backflips in there graves if i were to quit a good paying union job all because i needed more time to work out and did i mention i have great benefits, people just dont quit jobs like this and finding a job like this in NYC is like lightning striking a person 1 in a  million.....i wish my job had a workout center so i could workout on my 1hour lunch break, that would be ideal....

No one is going to have a magic solution for your workout time problem. The bottom line is if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to do it. So far all I am seeing from you are all the road blocks/excuses as to why you can't find a suitable time to work out. Maybe it just isn't that important to you at this point in your life.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 11:56:07 PM »
i have never had a time in my life when i did not work out so this is all new to me....just quitting or slowing down i have always been able to find time to workout, relationships problems, death in family, bad weather, sickness, i was there so this is a first for me trying to keep my gains, get enough sleep and be productive at work.

I get that adjusting to a different schedule is difficult. I have some experience with this too. Although I never worked graveyard. Anyway, I am not completely without understanding with regards to your situation. I still believe though that if you really want to go to the gym, you will figure out a way and time to make it work.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:34 AM »
I work nights on and off all the time.. Best time is always after work, before bed... Either before walkies  or after

It gives you a great sleep also...

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 04:08:08 AM »
Won't matter really if you go before or after. Usually training at 4pm in the arvo would be perfect in a normal world because you're well awake and had enough food for the day but you gotta do what you gotta do and really it won't make much difference. I would do before if you can because you'll finish work and want to crash sometimes and just gets it out of the way. If you don't feel like it in your morning (night) just go after.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
On night shift you either just never sleep, or you're free to run errands and do shit for other people because "you just sleep all day anyways it's not like you're busy"

Or at least that's what most people think