Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 385286 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »

There are 3 that were on youtube.

Daily Motion seems to have all of them -

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x40cik_billyjones2k14_the-jinx-the-life-and-deaths-of-robert-durst/1#video=x2xz5fs .

Watch them quick, as all of the easy streaming sites have been pulling tons of stuff the last few months.

Thank you, sir, both of you. Excellent program, unbelievable turn of events.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
I also recently watched "Paradise Lost: Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills"  which was a doc done by HBO at the time of the trial of the infamous Memphis 3.  A great follow up after watching that is "West of Memphis" was done in 2012 recapping the entire story of the 3 and their exoneration.  It was a really fucked up trial, how they got convicted on the evidence laid out is mind boggling if you aren't from that part of the country, but quite unsurprising if you are.

Fantastic series, I've followed this thing since way back. Gotta be honest, I've seen them all several times, and I'm STILL unsure what happened that day.

I know we're supposed to believe the kids were railroaded - and they do raise HUGE doubts - but some of the edited stuff, and testimony/evidence not addressed in the doc, are all pretty incriminating. Regarding Damien, anyway. (I don't think Baldwin had ANYTHING to do with it; not sure about the retard.)

Then again, no DNA connecting the kids, but they DID find a hair from Hobbs in the leg binds. I get more confused each time I watch. Easily one of America's most fascinating crime stories.

What did you think, E?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2015, 12:46:52 AM »
Fantastic series, I've followed this thing since way back. Gotta be honest, I've seen them all several times, and I'm STILL unsure what happened that day.

I know we're supposed to believe the kids were railroaded - and they do raise HUGE doubts - but some of the edited stuff, and testimony/evidence not addressed in the doc, are all pretty incriminating. Regarding Damien, anyway. (I don't think Baldwin had ANYTHING to do with it; not sure about the retard.)

Then again, no DNA connecting the kids, but they DID find a hair from Hobbs in the leg binds. I get more confused each time I watch. Easily one of America's most fascinating crime stories.

What did you think, E?

Not having any DNA at the crime scene from any of the 3 accused boys was the nail in the coffin for me personally that they were innocent.  On top of that there was no other physical evidence linking them to the crime and there were a plethora of witnesses who stated they were in contact with Echols, Baldwin the Misskelly over the phone from 5pm - 9pm the day of the murder which seemingly went ignored.

The hair DNA from Terry Hobbs found INSIDE the knot of the shoelace that was tied around the boy Hobbs body was pretty damning.  The big serrated knife that was found behind Baldwins trailer in the pond was also a huge red flag because Baldwins mother was the one who threw it in the lake 1 year prior to the murders taking place and she told the prosecution it was there.  That's how the divers found it within an hour of going in. The whole Jacoby relationship Terry Hobbs had and the hearsay of the of the "Hobbs Family Secret" was also interesting, as well as witnesses putting Terry Hobbs as the last known contact of the 3 murdered boys at 6:30pm outside the house on the day of the murder,  but none of that came to light due to the Alford plea they took to get out of prison.

What outraged me the most was the continued denial of the Arkansas state prosecution and the sitting judge to hear any new evidence.  I lived in Arkansas for 4 years (unfortunately) and the police there are incredibly incompetent and the vast majority of people living there are backwards idiots who are still holding onto civil war era type thinking.

Indeed though, it was one of the most fascinating cases I've encountered.  You should definitely watch "The Jinx" and read up on Robert Durst, that shit will blow your mind as well.  The guy goes on the run from the NY state police on suspicion of his wife's murder and ends up in Texas cross dressing as a woman, makes friends with the neighbor across the hall way who finds out his real identity and who his family is, tries to get money out of him and Durst ends up shooting him, chopping up his body and tosses in the ocean, and somehow convinces a jury that what he did was totally acceptable and gets off scott free.  He was also suspected in the murder of a good friend of his out in LA, but I'm not sure if he was ever completely connected to it as the woman also had family ties with the mob.  There was a movie with Ryan Gossling that wasn't any good called "All Good Things" that was inspired by the story of the murder of Durst's wife.  Not really worth checking out, but worth a mention I guess.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2015, 02:00:58 AM »
Not having any DNA at the crime scene from any of the 3 accused boys was the nail in the coffin for me personally that they were innocent.  On top of that there was no other physical evidence linking them to the crime and there were a plethora of witnesses who stated they were in contact with Echols, Baldwin the Misskelly over the phone from 5pm - 9pm the day of the murder which seemingly went ignored.

The hair DNA from Terry Hobbs found INSIDE the knot of the shoelace that was tied around the boy Hobbs body was pretty damning.  The big serrated knife that was found behind Baldwins trailer in the pond was also a huge red flag because Baldwins mother was the one who threw it in the lake 1 year prior to the murders taking place and she told the prosecution it was there.  That's how the divers found it within an hour of going in. The whole Jacoby relationship Terry Hobbs had and the hearsay of the of the "Hobbs Family Secret" was also interesting, as well as witnesses putting Terry Hobbs as the last known contact of the 3 murdered boys at 6:30pm outside the house on the day of the murder,  but none of that came to light due to the Alford plea they took to get out of prison.

What outraged me the most was the continued denial of the Arkansas state prosecution and the sitting judge to hear any new evidence.  I lived in Arkansas for 4 years (unfortunately) and the police there are incredibly incompetent and the vast majority of people living there are backwards idiots who are still holding onto civil war era type thinking.

Indeed though, it was one of the most fascinating cases I've encountered.  You should definitely watch "The Jinx" and read up on Robert Durst, that shit will blow your mind as well.  The guy goes on the run from the NY state police on suspicion of his wife's murder and ends up in Texas cross dressing as a woman, makes friends with the neighbor across the hall way who finds out his real identity and who his family is, tries to get money out of him and Durst ends up shooting him, chopping up his body and tosses in the ocean, and somehow convinces a jury that what he did was totally acceptable and gets off scott free.  He was also suspected in the murder of a good friend of his out in LA, but I'm not sure if he was ever completely connected to it as the woman also had family ties with the mob.  There was a movie with Ryan Gossling that wasn't any good called "All Good Things" that was inspired by the story of the murder of Durst's wife.  Not really worth checking out, but worth a mention I guess.

This I didn't know; in fact, I'd heard none of them had decent alibis for the time in question. Though didn't one of the programs (West of Memphis, maybe?) focus on Jesse at a wrestling match or something? Where he'd signed in and had photographs taken, along with witnesses who'd seen him there.

They ALL had solid alibis?

It'd be great if something came to light about Hobbs before he dies. Seems a dude that twisted, assuming he's the killer, would strike again at some point. Or let it slip to someone ... maybe even a deathbed confession? Time will tell, I suppose. Thanks for the info, gonna finish up The Jinx now.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
This I didn't know; in fact, I'd heard none of them had decent alibis for the time in question. Though didn't one of the programs (West of Memphis, maybe?) focus on Jesse at a wrestling match or something? Where he'd signed in and had photographs taken, along with witnesses who'd seen him there.

They ALL had solid alibis?

It'd be great if something came to light about Hobbs before he dies. Seems a dude that twisted, assuming he's the killer, would strike again at some point. Or let it slip to someone ... maybe even a deathbed confession? Time will tell, I suppose. Thanks for the info, gonna finish up The Jinx now.

Yea Misskelly was at a wrestling match practice and had half a dozen or so witnesses and the other two were at home with younger relatives and had received phone calls from Echols sister throughout the night.

I doubt Hobbs will confess as I don't think he intentionally killed the boys, it seemed like a situational murder which escalated too far.  I'm guessing that he was drunk, was trying to get the boys to come back to the house after being outside all day, they didn't want to as young boys often don't, and wanted to continue playing.  He chased them down to the creek bank and started beating his step son.  Something went wrong and he went too far and injured him gravely.  With the other two boys there he decided to kill them as well, hog tied them up and threw them in the ditch where they drowned after being beaten.

The scratches and cut marks on the boys bodies were all post mortum indicating it wasn't all that brutal of a murder to begin with, the turtles had just fed on the kids for a bit after they were dead.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
Yea Misskelly was at a wrestling match practice and had half a dozen or so witnesses and the other two were at home with younger relatives and had received phone calls from Echols sister throughout the night.

I doubt Hobbs will confess as I don't think he intentionally killed the boys, it seemed like a situational murder which escalated too far.  I'm guessing that he was drunk, was trying to get the boys to come back to the house after being outside all day, they didn't want to as young boys often don't, and wanted to continue playing.  He chased them down to the creek bank and started beating his step son.  Something went wrong and he went too far and injured him gravely.  With the other two boys there he decided to kill them as well, hog tied them up and threw them in the ditch where they drowned after being beaten.

The scratches and cut marks on the boys bodies were all post mortum indicating it wasn't all that brutal of a murder to begin with, the turtles had just fed on the kids for a bit after they were dead.

Why do you suppose he tied them?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »
Why do you suppose he tied them?

Maybe it was easier to carry two at the same time when he was putting them in the ditch?  He had to act quickly as that area was fairly busy and populated, so after he had realized what he had done he needed a quick way to get rid of them.  He was a hunter and hog tying game after a kill is a pretty standard practice for transportation back to camp.

It's also possible that during the beating of his step son the other two kids got squirmy and tried to take off so he might have hit them in the head and tied them up so they couldn't get away.  It's all speculation really, but those would be the logical reasons in my mind.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »

Watching this one now, really interesting regarding sleep paralysis. I've experienced this personally as have many, it's quite interesting to know the scientific mechanisms your body goes through during sleep and what causes it.  Can be extremely terrifying as a child as I also suffered from sleep walking and night terrors.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
Found the after pic online, wasn't in doc.

Also, figured out I'd already seen the San Quentin one, but still watched it again. Can't find his program on the black nationalists, though, maybe the only one left I haven't seen.

Al Sharpton is such a douchebag joke.  I would love to punch him in the face.  (as the saying goes :P :P)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »
Maybe it was easier to carry two at the same time when he was putting them in the ditch?  He had to act quickly as that area was fairly busy and populated, so after he had realized what he had done he needed a quick way to get rid of them.  He was a hunter and hog tying game after a kill is a pretty standard practice for transportation back to camp.

It's also possible that during the beating of his step son the other two kids got squirmy and tried to take off so he might have hit them in the head and tied them up so they couldn't get away.  It's all speculation really, but those would be the logical reasons in my mind.

Makes as much sense as anything else, I suppose.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »
"When Louis Met Jimmy" Savile.  Looks like some allegations existed while Jimmy Savile was still alive.  Jimmy of course using his "patter" like a champion to avoid being questioned.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
Al Sharpton is such a douchebag joke.  I would love to punch him in the face.  (as the saying goes :P :P)

Cool. Thanks, LV.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
Cool. Thanks, LV.

No prob...don't know if you will like it, though.  These are the weakest, stupidest, most boring, most racist bunch of dumbasses I've ever seen in my life.  They are so stupid (or whatever), they don't realize Sharpton is nothing but a placeholder to make sure they don't gain any real power.

The rest of the subjects are so shallow, they think if they put on a nice suit that everyone will believe they are "legit".  It hasn't worked too well for them so far, I know that much.

They are a joke without any substance.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
In 2011, Foster Huntington created the #vanlife Instagram hashtag, and unexpectedly spawned hundreds of thousands of posts and a family of eager followers. It became a community of like-minded individuals who delight in the kind of adventure you can only get by traveling through the wilderness in a clunky, decades-old vehicle. In this documentary, we follow a group of #vanlife enthusiasts to uncover what the lifestyle means to them.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »
No prob...don't know if you will like it, though.  These are the weakest, stupidest, most boring, most racist bunch of dumbasses I've ever seen in my life.  They are so stupid (or whatever), they don't realize Sharpton is nothing but a placeholder to make sure they don't gain any real power.

The rest of the subjects are so shallow, they think if they put on a nice suit that everyone will believe they are "legit".  It hasn't worked too well for them so far, I know that much.

They are a joke without any substance.

Oh, exactly what I expected, my friend. Same nonsense Wiggs spews on here, just find it amusing at times. And I'd like to see how Thereaux handles them.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2015, 02:45:22 AM »
The Super Rich and Us (2015) -Jacques Peretti looks at how the super-rich exploited an obscure legal loophole to make Britain one of the most attractive tax havens on earth.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2015, 06:24:14 AM »
In 2011, Foster Huntington created the #vanlife Instagram hashtag, and unexpectedly spawned hundreds of thousands of posts and a family of eager followers. It became a community of like-minded individuals who delight in the kind of adventure you can only get by traveling through the wilderness in a clunky, decades-old vehicle. In this documentary, we follow a group of #vanlife enthusiasts to uncover what the lifestyle means to them.

This would be great with a bunch of Getbiggers

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »
I know it is not a documentary, but I don't know where else to post it:

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »
Nice PBS documentary on America's Johnny Carson -

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

It would be so cool to do this for a year or so.  Just outfit a van real good and go.

The old vans are right for this.  These people like their VWs because the rear transaxle makes it easier to drive off road.  But if something fries the electronics in an area, the only people really moving anywhere will be the ones in old vehicles, anyway.  So they are set better than they might know.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
In this episode of FUEL, a new series dedicated to the high-performance diets of athletes, we follow Robert Oberst—aka Obie—one of America’s leading professional strongmen, holder of the American record in the Log Lift, and eater extraordinaire. In an average day, Obie consumes 15,000–20,000 calories to power himself through hours of punishing training. From the gym to the kitchen, Obie shows us the kind of fuel he needs in order to stay at the top of his sport.

--

In this episode of FUEL, we follow weightlifting champion Morghan King during her six-day-a-week routine of consuming clean proteins and vegetables to ensure her competitive status at the 2015 World Championships and beyond. At a 105-pound competing weight, she is one of only a handful of women on this planet who can "clean-and-jerk" more than double their body weight. We’d like to see you try that.

--

Welcome back to FUEL, a series dedicated to the high-performance diets of athletes. In this episode, we follow the UK's international pro bodybuilder Rene Campbell, who eats the same high-calorie meal every three hours, seven days a week—and that’s just in her "off season." We spend a day with Rene as she cooks up two weeks’ worth of chicken, rice, and eggs; stocks up on her supplements; and shows her male training

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
will watch those, thanks DroppingPlates.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2015, 12:52:12 AM »
Choke (1999) - Choke follows freestyle fighting champion Rickson Gracie as he prepares to defend his title in the Vale Tudo Freestyle Fighting Championship in Tokyo. Choke is a behind-the-scenes look at the world of no-rules fighting.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:06 AM »
Choke (1999) - Choke follows freestyle fighting champion Rickson Gracie as he prepares to defend his title in the Vale Tudo Freestyle Fighting Championship in Tokyo. Choke is a behind-the-scenes look at the world of no-rules fighting.

Comes on the right moment. I don't follow any forms of MMA, but I've recently met a jiu jitsu chick.