Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 383947 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
Great documentary on American President Garfield, not sure if it will play in all regions, but it's a good watch -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/garfield/player/ .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »
Good watch about NY's famed Bellevue Hospital's mental ward, circa late 90's -

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
Scrapper (2011) The controversial, award winning documentary about desperadoes illegally scavenging war detritus in an active military bombing range. Ride shotgun into a world of aluminum fever, crystal meth, survival and redemption in a lethal no-man's land. [full film]

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #355 on: February 21, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
Diet programs revolve around a proven principle: if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. The calorie is the defining metric. And so, in the interest of public health, the Food and Drug Administration requires most packaged foods to list their calories, among other data, on labels. To help combat obesity in New York City, the Department of Health requires most chain restaurants to post calorie content on their menus and fines those who don’t comply. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, a national program will soon follow.

In theory, this is a valuable reform. But there’s one glaring problem. According to the F.D.A. and the city’s health department, no one verifies the accuracy of these calorie listings. The system essentially runs on an honor system. Food vendors can list whatever numbers they want, until someone (somehow) catches a problem and files a complaint. So, as an obsessive calorie counter myself, I wanted to find out: how accurate are these labels?

For this Op-Doc video, I selected five items I might consume in an average day: a muffin, a tofu sandwich, a Subway sandwich, a Starbucks Frappuccino and a Chipotle burrito. Then, two food scientists at the New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center painstakingly tested the caloric content of each using a device called a bomb calorimeter. It’s a precise but slow process — taking more than an hour per sample. The results were surprising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/opinion/calorie-detective.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #357 on: March 04, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
Diet programs revolve around a proven principle: if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. The calorie is the defining metric. And so, in the interest of public health, the Food and Drug Administration requires most packaged foods to list their calories, among other data, on labels. To help combat obesity in New York City, the Department of Health requires most chain restaurants to post calorie content on their menus and fines those who don’t comply. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, a national program will soon follow.

In theory, this is a valuable reform. But there’s one glaring problem. According to the F.D.A. and the city’s health department, no one verifies the accuracy of these calorie listings. The system essentially runs on an honor system. Food vendors can list whatever numbers they want, until someone (somehow) catches a problem and files a complaint. So, as an obsessive calorie counter myself, I wanted to find out: how accurate are these labels?

For this Op-Doc video, I selected five items I might consume in an average day: a muffin, a tofu sandwich, a Subway sandwich, a Starbucks Frappuccino and a Chipotle burrito. Then, two food scientists at the New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center painstakingly tested the caloric content of each using a device called a bomb calorimeter. It’s a precise but slow process — taking more than an hour per sample. The results were surprising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/opinion/calorie-detective.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Thank you Jizzplates. :-\

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
Thank you Jizzplates. :-\

And you consume at least 300% more alcohol than is written on the label

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
And you consume at least 300% more alcohol than is written on the label
well your diet is low cal.. lots of sperm

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2016, 04:44:25 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »

Long and good documentary on the artist Robert Mapplethorpe, from his childhood through his last days, Watch it quick if interested, because HBO will probably get it pulled soon.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2016, 01:24:29 AM »
This is the Last Dam Run of Likker I'll Ever Make (2002) - Moonshiner Popcorn Sutton takes a camera crew along to set up a white liquor still

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »
Welcome To Leith - Documentary about a Neo - Nazi's plan to take over a small North Dakota town, and the local's plan to stop it -

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/welcome-to-leith-full-film/ .

Peace Officer - Documentary on the militarization and increased use of SWAT by American police departments, particularly small ones, and the trouble it causes as told by both the police and the citizenry -

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/peace-officer-full-film/ .

Salvador

• Getbig II
« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »
Good watch about NY's famed Bellevue Hospital's mental ward, circa late 90's -

this one was beautiful!! i can't find more of this high-emotional-dramas doc's!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2016, 05:30:25 AM »
Bernie Madoff - Scamming of America, The $50 Billion Ponzi Scheme (2015) Forbes:"If indeed, $50 billion was lost, as apparently Madoff claims, it is the largest such fraud in history, and one that might even shame the conman whose name is attached to this brand of deception

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #367 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #368 on: June 26, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
http://putlocker.is/watch-burn-online-free-putlocker.html

Documentary about Detroit fire fighters and the general decline of the city.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2016, 04:51:13 AM »

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »
Somewhat hard to find PBS documentary on lobotomies, and their place in mid century psychiatric care -

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
Sidewalk, a sociologist looks at the lives of sidewalk vendors in early 2000's New York -

The first 3 parts are the film, then a talk about the film afterward for the last few parts.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »
The Police Tapes, a late 70's look at policing in NY. This film was a huge influence on Cops, and all the later series -

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: July 30, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »