Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 383917 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
Fairphone is a social enterprise company which aims to develop smartphones that are designed and produced with minimal harm to people and the planet. The company is based in Amsterdam, Netherlands and was supported in its startup phase by the Waag Society, a foundation which aims to foster experimentation with new technologies, art and culture. The main motivations for founding Fairphone were to develop a mobile device that does not contain conflict minerals (which in smartphones are typically gold, tin, tantalum and tungsten), has fair labor conditions for the workforce along the supply chain producing it and help people to use their phone longer. The second version of the company's handset is one of the first modular smartphones available for purchase, with the product being designed to be easily repaired and upgraded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairphone

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »

Breaking The Cycle - A Norwegian prison warden travels to America to see how the prison system and rehabilitation is handled there. Bit dry, but an interesting juxtaposition of two cultures.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: April 15, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
The Great War -

A long and very fine PBS documentary on WWI, and its effects both on the people, culture, and world policy of the time. While a long documentary at just a hair under 6 hours, it is told with a broad enough vision that it should be enjoyable for almost anyone.

Edit - Seems the Youtube versions got taken down. Sadly this is more and more common both with newer and older shows. It is still available on:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/great-war/ .

Not sure if it works in all countries though.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2017, 03:26:20 AM »
< good stuff. thanks for posting

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #405 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:53 AM »
Big 8 part (almost 6 hours long) documentary on the old pre internet BBS system, and the culture behind it. Interesting stuff -

First part-

All parts nicely cued up to play in sequence -

----------------------------

Dogs of War. An early 90's look at the young British men that signed up to be mercenaries during the break up and restructuring of Yugoslavia -

Maybe of interest to some.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2017, 02:28:54 AM »
Dirty Driving: Thunder Cars of Indiana - 1990's HBO documentary on an economically depressed midwestern town in the US, where one of the biggest hobbies is stock car racing. It may not sound that interesting, but the people and personalities in it make the film -

American Hollow. HBO takes a look at the slightly dysfunctional lives of a family in America's Appalachia. Much like the above, it's the people that make the story -

If you liked the above, the director of the above (Rory Kennedy) made a much darker film about a family in the rural south called A Boy's Life in 2003 or 4. Hard to find, but you sometimes find it on streaming sites. Here's the trailer -

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »
Mommy Dead and Deariest -

A look a deranged mother who coddles her daughter with disastrous results. While it falls into the true crime formula, it is told in a way that is a step or two beyond the standard cable fare. It's an HBO documentary, so watch it quick if it sounds interesting.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »

American Patriot - A look at the cases behind the Bundy Ranch standoff and subsequent events that happened in America between 2014 - 2016. A good primer for anyone that didn't quite understand the in s and outs of that whole thing.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
From the Youtube page:

The Immortalists

"What would the world look like if humans never grew old? Two eccentric biologists are determined to find out. In this larger-than-life doc, Bill Andrews and Aubrey de Grey leave behind the journals and peer reviews of the scientific establishment to embark on a quest for the age-old secret of eternal youth. Can it be done? And is it desirable? They differ in their approach, but are united in their goal: to learn to live forever, or die trying."

Take my advice and skip 27:30 till 29:00

Purge_WTF

« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2017, 05:57:45 AM »

Downloaded it from Spectrum last night. Very well-done film about how prevelant and deep-seated the Feminism virus has been in Western culture.

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:42 AM »
From YouTube:
The Third Antichrist Prophecy Of Nostradamus - World Documentary Films.

Michel de Nostredame (depending on the source, 14 or 21 December 1503 – 2 July 1566), usually Latinised as Nostradamus, was a French apothecary and reputed seer who published collections of prophecies that have since become widely famous. He is best known for his book Les Propheties, the first edition of which appeared in 1555. Since the publication of this book, which has rarely been out of print since his death, Nostradamus has attracted a following that, along with much of the popular press, credits him with predicting many major world events. Most academic sources maintain that the associations made between world events and Nostradamus's quatrains are largely the result of misinterpretations or mistranslations (sometimes deliberate) or else are so tenuous as to render them useless as evidence of any genuine predictive power.

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #412 on: June 16, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »
Very good documentary. Well worth the watch.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
American Anarchist on Netflix. About the dude who wrote the anarcist cookbook. Good stuff

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Central Park Five. A look at one of the largest and most racially charged cases in American history -

William Kunstler, Disturbing The Universe. A look at the famous NY attorney that made a living taking on the cases most didn't want. It's a bit of a dry watch, but may interest some - 

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »
Blackout, a look at the giant 1977 New York electric failure that happened 40 years ago -

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Short documentary about the effects on the legalization of drugs for personal use

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #417 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »
Addicted to Protein

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #420 on: July 23, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
From it's Youtube page:

"Director Martin Hampton takes us into the complicated worlds of four hoarders -- people whose lives are dominated by their relationship to possessions.

It is very natural for humans to give objects special importance. But when this tendency gets out of hand complications can begin. Hoarding behavior should be seen on a spectrum, ranging from mild to severe.

The film questions whether hoarding is a symptom of mental illness or a revolt against the material recklessness of consumerism. When does collecting become hoarding and why do possessions exert such an influence on our lives?

Compulsive Hoarding, can be defined as: 1. The acquisition of, and failure to discard a large number of possessions that appear to be useless or of limited value; 2. Living spaces sufficiently cluttered so as to preclude activities for which those spaces were designed; 3. Significant distress of impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding."

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #421 on: August 02, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2017, 05:49:55 AM »
Based on his book 'The Architecture of Happiness', Alain de Botton made this great 3-part documentary series.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #424 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
30 million roosters are killed in Filipino cockfighting pits every year.
Meet the guy who trains some of the country's deadliest birds

https://video.vice.com/en_au/video/cockfighting-in-the-phillipines/598ba0cd9bb084453f50f5bb?latest=1?utm_source=vicefbanz&utm_campaign=global