Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 385055 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
Documentary Now! on Netflix. Bill Hader and Fred Armisen goofing on classic docs. The Thin Blue Line and Grey Gardens parodies are particularly good.

Sandy Passage (Grey Gardens)

The Eye Doesn't Lie (Thin Blue Line)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
From it's Youtube page:

"'Living History: The John Feathers Map Collection' is used with permission from Alec Ernest and The Los Angeles Review of Books. Learn more at http://omele.to/2BTBBn0 and http://omele.to/2yfwX0E.

In 2012, Glen Creason -- a map librarian at the Los Angeles Central Library -- got a phone call from a real estate agent. The agent told him a house scheduled for demolition in Mt. Washington was filled with maps.

Glen was skeptical, thinking it would be nothing but boxes of National Geographics. But Glen soon discovered the old house was stuffed with a treasure trove of priceless antique maps, much beloved to John Feathers, the occupant of the house and a passionate collector of maps. John's private collection effectively doubled the Library's collection, which started in 1873.

This short documentary, directed by Alec Ernest and created for the Los Angeles Review of Books, takes a quotidian subject and mines it for emotional resonance with great skill and sensitivity. Maps become more than just analytical, intellectual tools -- they record what people want to see, how people live and chronicle the passage of time.

With a beautiful musical score and fast-paced editing, 'Living History' communicates Glen's passion and excitement for maps, showing how everyday objects can become imbued with memory, emotion and our dreams for the future."

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #452 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
Not a documentary, but this is still a very good watch. If you are interested, this YouTube channel likes to compare Hollywood's version of history, to what was more likely to have happened.

Quality channel.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #453 on: December 21, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
Keeping this thread on topic of documentaries:

Just watched Forks over Knives, a documentary on the benefits of a plant based diet.  A ton of it made sense.  Of course, I had to look to the  counters and found a site that attacks both this, and the opposite, the all meat low carb diets.....

Although each side makes a compelling argument, I'm tending to stick with the debunking site - basically, extremism is not necessary, and health benefits can be achieved by eating a combination of all these types of foods.
Y

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #454 on: December 24, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
Hooker, a 1983 HBO look at the sex trade in three parts. First, a high end pair of girls in the dominatrix trade. Second, a legal brothel. Lastly, a look at old fashioned street level work. A bit tame for the 2000's, but some interesting bits here and there, good watch for fans of old school HBO stuff -

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2018, 03:09:00 AM »
Not sure if it's available in all regions, but here is a great documentary on the 1918 Flu epidemic, and its effect on society -

www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/influenza/#part01 .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Angelli - A brief biographical sketch of Gianni Agnelli, the majority owner of Fiat in Italy. An interesting view of a man that handled things with style and aplomb.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2018, 04:38:19 PM »

Oxyana, a disheartening look at the pain pill trade in West Virginia.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
"Jiro Dreams of Sushi". A documentary on the greatest sushi chef in Japan. Sounds dull, but it is an amazing watch. Plus, the sushi looks pretty tasty too.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2018, 04:22:08 AM »

The Panama Canal - A surprisingly interesting look at a project that was quite the feat of engineering and endurance.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #460 on: March 09, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Not sure how long it will stay up, but here's HBO's big Andre, The Giant documentary -

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
Also this looks like it might be hilarious, but I can't find a full copy. Blast 'em, an early 1990's look at the paparazzi scene, including an odd, yet funny Madonna impersonater that double as a photog -

This came out right before digital, and you're right: something stopped a dig version from appearing.  At last check, closest thing I've seen is a DVD on Amazon, that's said to be crap quality.

The part with the guy talking about meeting Madonna is too funny.  I wonder if she put a crimp on this.

???

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »
I listened to a show on the radio not long ago, and it reminded me of the Japanese documentary (posted in this thread) of the people sleeping in Cyber Cafes.  I believe Lost in Mamboo is the name.

Turns out many individuals living like that, there, are actually running from debt collectors.  Often it's due to gambling, and they do love to gamble it up.  Drugs are almost unheard of outside of the mob world.

But the debt collectors are said to use tools such as megaphones, lol, to stalk a subject at his/her home, making a sun-up 'til sun-down effort to "coax" the person into paying.  If someone doesn't have the money, that person can "disappear" into a scene such as the cafes.  They're not broke, obviously, since they're charged a few bucks per day to flop in their little cubicle.  It's all anonymous (the Japanese respect the need for that) and it's cash on the barrelhead.  Five years of living under the radar, and they can come back in the clear.

The broke Japanese are often older ones, sometimes very old, and were sadly left behind due to a business failure (whether by self, or someone else).  Almost 100% male, as women are better seen-to in that society.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2018, 12:43:25 AM »
King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters (2007) - This is one that (probably) everyone would love who's into this thread.  It's got its share of controversy attached to it, of course, namely as brought up -- after the fact -- by the main "enemy" in the document.

On the surface, it's about the otherwise-obscured champions of 1980s videogame playing.  The world's best in that field.  The shit they've allowed to define themselves, is what.  That's what it's about.

Beneath the nonsense, though, it's about human nature.  A good one, alright.  Really good.

On Youtube, look it up when you want to blow an hour or two.  No need to watch a compromised version: the real McCoy can be found, right now, on YT.  For free, just as the producers in this case would have it.

From IMDB:

In the early 1980s, legendary Billy Mitchell set a Donkey Kong record that stood for almost 25 years. This documentary follows the assault on the record by Steve Wiebe, an earnest teacher from Washington who took up the game while unemployed. The top scores are monitored by a cadre of players and fans associated with Walter Day, an Iowan who runs Funspot, an annual tournament. Wiebe breaks Mitchell's record in public at Funspot, and Mitchell promptly mails a controversial video tape of himself setting a new record. So Wiebe travels to Florida hoping Mitchell will face him for the 2007 Guinness World Records. Will the mind-game-playing Mitchell engage; who will end up holding the record?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters (2007) - This is one that (probably) everyone would love who's into this thread.  It's got its share of controversy attached to it, of course, namely as brought up -- after the fact -- by the main "enemy" in the document.

On the surface, it's about the otherwise-obscured champions of 1980s videogame playing.  The world's best in that field.  The shit they've allowed to define themselves, is what.  That's what it's about.

Beneath the nonsense, though, it's about human nature.  A good one, alright.  Really good.

On Youtube, look it up when you want to blow an hour or two.  No need to watch a compromised version: the real McCoy can be found, right now, on YT.  For free, just as the producers in this case would have it.

From IMDB:
In the early 1980s, legendary Billy Mitchell set a Donkey Kong record that stood for almost 25 years. This documentary follows the assault on the record by Steve Wiebe, an earnest teacher from Washington who took up the game while unemployed. The top scores are monitored by a cadre of players and fans associated with Walter Day, an Iowan who runs Funspot, an annual tournament. Wiebe breaks Mitchell's record in public at Funspot, and Mitchell promptly mails a controversial video tape of himself setting a new record. So Wiebe travels to Florida hoping Mitchell will face him for the 2007 Guinness World Records. Will the mind-game-playing Mitchell engage; who will end up holding the record?

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: April 27, 2018, 06:11:22 AM »
Mike Tyson, The Fallen Champ. Pretty good documentary, I hadn't seen before -

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
Inside San Quentin -

Bit slow, but a mid 70's look at the notorious prison. Just as a minor point of interest, here are some of the people in the film -

Gregory Ulas Powell at the near start was involved in the infamous Onion Field police murders -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion_Field .

Roger Dale "Pincushion" Smith ( 15:20 in ) - Death Row inmate and Born Again Christian, who became Charles Manson's guide, PR Man, and official secretary while there. Had the distinction of being stabbed #100 plus times during his prison career.

Pop Eye Jackson - Noted prison inmate, turned reformer, who died mysteriously. Also rumored to be involved in the SLA / Patty Hurst business -

www.nytimes.com/1975/06/29/archives/california-police-are-baffled-by-the-killing-of-black-prison-reform.html .

Garlan Barry ( 56 minutes and throughout ) - Prison / Reformer later killed by Barry Byron Mills during his rise through the A ryan Brotherhood.

Jessica Mitford - ( end of film ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Mitford .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #468 on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
New York Emergency - A BBC short documentary on the NYPD's  ESU team in the 70's. Hard film to get info on, but interesting for fans of the genre. Interesting how un - PC it was back then -

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Part 3 -

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #470 on: July 06, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »
From it's Youtube page:

"The 'Most Elusive' Man in North America
Dag Aabye is a septuagenarian Ultra Marathon champion who lives completely off the grid. Can two filmmakers track him down—and if so, what will they find?"

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
What is Music?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

The Toilet An Unspoken History

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #474 on: July 23, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling was interesting.