Author Topic: Toddler falls into jaguar pit at Arkansas zoo  (Read 3369 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Toddler falls into jaguar pit at Arkansas zoo
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:47 AM »
Toddler falls into jaguar pit at Arkansas zoo
By Amy Graff

A 3-year-old Arkansas child is in critical condition after falling into the jaguar pit at the Little Rock Zoo on Friday morning, according to KTHV-TV.

The horrific accident happened when the boy was on a visit at the zoo with his father and grandfather fell over the railing and into the pit, according to the police report. The father immediately rushed for help and then returned and started throwing objects at the animals in the pit who were circling around the baby. One jaguar dove toward the child and bit his neck and then backed off when the dad threw something at it.

Zoo employees eventually arrived on the scene and one distracted the animals with a fire extinguisher while the other climbed into the pit on a ladder to rescue the child.

Two minutes later, an ambulance was on the scene and medical technicians were helping the boy who suffered “scalp lacerations, a depressed skull fracture, and minor puncture wounds,” according to KTHV-TV.

Lt. Sidney Allen with the Little Rock Police Department was uncertain whether the wounds came from the fall or the animal bite.

Director of communications for Arkansas Children’s Hospital Dan McFadden released a statement:

"We are treating a child here at Arkansas Children’s Hospital who was injured earlier today at the Little Rock Zoo. The child’s condition is critical. We respect the wishes of the child’s guardian who asked that the child’s name and any additional information not be shared at this time. Thank you for respecting the privacy of this family."

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Re: Toddler falls into jaguar pit at Arkansas zoo
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »
Idiot parents.

Shows any moron can have a child.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:20:03 AM »
How come dad didn't jump in?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:54 AM »
Idiot parents.

Shows any moron can have a child.

The news story seems to bend over backwards NOT to explain how this "fall" happened or who was responsible.  Obviously, pa or grandpa placed the child where he should not have done so leading to this near death experience.  The kid should be taken by Child Protective Services and placed into the arms of less careless people.  If there is a mom involved she should grab her kid and file for divorce!  I'm not sure I could "forgive" a spouse over something like this.  >:(

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
I would hope child endangerment charges are considered by the D.A. in such an aggravated case of negligence by a parent. It is Arkansas so I'm guessing the expectation of reasonable care would be extremely low there and this may be considered normal.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
This.

His toddler falls in a pit and his pussy ass stays up wherever he was and throws shit at the cat?

It apparently worked, but any father whose instinct is not to immediately jump in and save his child is a coward.

Not.  The father isn't invulnerable; jumping into the pit would very easily create an opening for two dead bodies instead of one.  There is a difference between being brave and being foolish; you are endorsing the latter.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
Not.  The father isn't invulnerable; jumping into the pit would very easily create an opening for two dead bodies instead of one.  There is a difference between being brave and being foolish; you are endorsing the latter.

I can't say the father is a coward, I can say he is a moron for dropping his child into a jaguar pit. he probably picked the right choice in not jumping in, however, If my child were to end up in a jaguar pit, and there was a way for me to get to him, I would be hard pressed not to do so regardless of how pointless it may be. I couldn't live with myself if my child was killed and I didn't do everything possible to include putting myself at risk to save him or her.     

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:01 AM »
Agreed. In situations like that you cant aft on emotion or impulse, you have to think critically.

Itd be no different than running into a the line of fire of a machine gun to save a wounded Soldier.... you're going to have 2 dead Soldiers instead of 1. You have to find a way to control the situation that doesnt include getting yourself killed before you can save your child.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
Understood, but, having three children, I cannot fathom a situation wherein one of them fell into a jaguar pit, possibly inured from the fall itself, terrified and crying, that didn't involve me instinctively jumping right in after them.

There is no "but" and you are not the only parent who loves his kids.  Positioning yourself as motivated by some greater love that other parents do not feel is silly.  As Shockwave said you are not thinking.  Committing suicide is not going to save your child and jumping into the pit would be suicidal.  It's not as though you would have even a fighting chance against one or more jaguars.  I hope you have good life insurance; unless you wise up soon, your kids may need it before too long.  :(

That you label the father a "coward" says more about you and your level of maturity than about his level of bravery or cowardice.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »
There are instances every day of acts of bravery some do that others won't. My intention is not to proclaim the superiority of my bravery or love for my children but instead to say that I wouldn't leave them to die alone in a pit.

As for your inference as to my maturity level based in that statement, think what you will.

Ok, Superdad, but I think you've been watching way too many action movies with roided muscle men.  I hope your life insurance policy is as beefy as your muscles.  ::)

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
Did they put all the cats down afterwards?