Author Topic: The Superiority of the British bodybuilding scene  (Read 7161 times)

Maniacal

The Superiority of the British bodybuilding scene
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
I spent three excellent years living in England, back in '97-'00, and had the privilege of training at two amazing gyms - Bodyzone, in Bracknell, and Castle Gym, in Windsor.

Back then, Castle Gym was run by 1998 NABBA Mr. World, Simon Morgan, someone whom I attribute most of my knowledge on the sport to and who inspired me to ultimately compete.

However, whichever gym I went to, I also noticed and thus fell in love with, the seeming blue-collar, down and dirty work ethic rampant in those hardcore gyms that seems to be dissipating further every year, especially over here in the States.

Good memories. Granted that was a long time ago and things might have changed but I just wanted to profess my appreciation for gyms as they are supposed to be.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
Re: The Superiority of the British bodybuilding scene
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
I spent three excellent years living in England, back in '97-'00, and had the privilege of training at two amazing gyms - Bodyzone, in Bracknell, and Castle Gym, in Windsor.

Back then, Castle Gym was run by 1998 NABBA Mr. World, Simon Morgan, someone whom I attribute most of my knowledge on the sport to and who inspired me to ultimately compete.

However, whichever gym I went to, I also noticed and thus fell in love with, the seeming blue-collar, down and dirty work ethic rampant in those hardcore gyms that seems to be dissipating further every year, especially over here in the States.

Good memories. Granted that was a long time ago and things might have changed but I just wanted to profess my appreciation for gyms as they are supposed to be.

I second this and this culture hasn't died out, it is still there in certain places if you look hard enough.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
Some great gyms in the northeast, im sure the sane could be said of all the big cities

The problem facing 'hardcore' gyms is you can go to a swanky fitness chain with perfectly maintained and new equipment for £17 a month.. Or you can pay double more or less for gyms where machines stay broke fir weeks on end etc, I don't know if its worth that extra money fr the atmosphere any more

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
I second this and this culture hasn't died out, it is still there in certain places if you look hard enough.

Yep, agreed, its just the twinks with phones that needs stopping.
A guy who has a gym close to me bans people for using phones, they have a box at reception where people have to leave them.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
A guy who has a gym close to me bans people for using phones, they have a box at reception where people have to leave them.

Where I train most of the time there are a few similar rules.

All Getbiggers would fit in because they also have words with people who use bad form and it's 50% gangster / 50% finance clientele.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
here simon its amazing people 'go to the gym 'but nobody 'trains'set 1 'tap on phone,,set 2 minute later 'back to phone ect..ect...

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:50 AM »
What superiority  ::), midget Lee is Nabba's current champ  :D

Simple Simon

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
What superiority  ::), midget Lee is Nabba's current champ  :D
Lee is Mr Universe, not Mr Britain.   ::)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Lee is Mr Universe, not Mr Britain.   ::)

Main Nabba/British title , so  ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
Some great gyms in the northeast, im sure the sane could be said of all the big cities

The problem facing 'hardcore' gyms is you can go to a swanky fitness chain with perfectly maintained and new equipment for £17 a month.. Or you can pay double more or less for gyms where machines stay broke fir weeks on end etc, I don't know if its worth that extra money fr the atmosphere any more

I moved away from my hometown for a year then moved back. Walked into my old gym and noticed it was brought out by another gym. Total makeover!! The gym now has chandeliers in the womens bathroom. You cant carry your gym bag around and cant leave your towel or any gym clothes over the machines because they say it "looks messy." They are redoing the mens bathroom and its going to look all fancy and shit.

The one good thing is, like you said, is that the gym is very clean, which is a good thing because I do not want to catch the dreaded Ebola. Also, when something breaks, it is immediately fixed.

However, there are many hardcore gyms which are very clean. Bev Francis Powerhouse gym in New York (which is considered the East Coast Mecca), is considered "hardcore" and it is maintained very well.

I don't know about where you live, but the swanky gyms in NYC can cost anywhere from 40-150 dollars per month. Some even go for more.
X

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:51 AM »
I'm in the notheast of England not murrica.. Altho I think most the gum prices are similar throughout the UK, maybe barring London..

I pay £8 per week currently, that seems the going rate for bodybuilder type gyms around here

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
I'm in the notheast of England not murrica.. Altho I think most the gum prices are similar throughout the UK, maybe barring London..

I pay £8 per week currently, that seems the going rate for bodybuilder type gyms around here

A little more expensive than my gym. My gym is $38.00 per month. 23.85 pounds per month :). Im so British!
X

mazfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:21:22 AM »
in the north MUscle mayhem and XXL are two good gyms

muscle mayhem is more down and dirty though,

still get nob head 16 year olds tho, had a lad last week pissed me right off, had a time frame to keep to mrs to pick up,

did squats, calves and presses and he was still using leg curl in between iphone use.

went over said u done, he said nah mate just started.........uve been on there for 30 fukin minutes bro u having a laugh. no no mate then first 15 mins was warming up im trying to go heavy so doin long rests

i wanted to smash the little cnts glasses into his face.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »

still get nob head 16 year olds tho, had a lad last week pissed me right off, had a time frame to keep to mrs to pick up,

did squats, calves and presses and he was still using leg curl in between iphone use.

went over said u done, he said nah mate just started.........uve been on there for 30 fukin minutes bro u having a laugh. no no mate then first 15 mins was warming up im trying to go heavy so doin long rests

Too much of that mtren.... Simply ask to jump in, new gym goers need to learn the ways of the gym

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
Castle Gym recently closed down for good. It had most recently been run by a "dodgy geezer" who it seems pissed off with a lot of money into the sunset.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 03:40:49 AM »

Haha one of my favorite sayings

mazfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »
Haha one of my favorite sayings

lol maybe it was the tren..... the smashing of the glasses was still a huge urge tho