Author Topic: are fish oil supplements worth it?  (Read 14460 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: are fish oil supplements worth it?
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Did anyone answer the question?

Don't feel like wading through the shit.

There is a lot going on today with nutrition at the cellular level and Fish Oil supplements, especially Krill, Omega 3's, EPA, DHA and Astaxanthin are right at the top of the list as far as "Necessary" is concerned.

Biomedical Science combined with nutrition delves deep today into Phospholipids.

So, in short, yeah, these supps are actually "worth it"

One other supplement that is getting a lot of attention by the Scientific community is Turmeric (Curcuma) taken with Peppercorn.

Check out Joe Rogan (UFC) and his conversation with Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »
To answer the question... Are they worth it?
Depends how you define "worth it"

It won't add weight to your bench, I don't notice anything from it really and stopped taking it a while back, started back, stopped.

I never noticed better brain function, less soreness either.

I think they have more benefits while dieting as you want the most nutrition from the least calories. It has health properties so for that, I should go back on them as they're sitting in the fridge anyway.

If you're on a budget, pfff, forget the stuff, it's not even close to being necessary for producing any kinds of real life gains.
?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
To answer the question... Are they worth it?
Depends how you define "worth it"

It won't add weight to your bench, I don't notice anything from it really and stopped taking it a while back, started back, stopped.

I never noticed better brain function, less soreness either.

I think they have more benefits while dieting as you want the most nutrition from the least calories. It has health properties so for that, I should go back on them as they're sitting in the fridge anyway.

If you're on a budget, pfff, forget the stuff, it's not even close to being necessary for producing any kinds of real life gains.

Good point.

My fermented cod liver oil isn't taken to make me more  anabolic, it's taken to make me healthier and quell some systemic inflammation. Anyone taking fish oil to "get more gains" is probably not reading this because they're still out rioting for the Michael Brown protests, if you know what I'm saying.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
Don't forget that Eskimo's are one of the groups that has the least amounts of heart related diseases and they eat a boatload of fish.
Might not build huge mussels or get 18 inches of domenicana magnets but it's very good for your general health.

Accumulated Evidence on Fish Consumption and Coronary Heart Disease Mortality
The study has very solid statistics.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
When buying oil filled gel caps you have to cut one open regardless of the expiration date and make sure the oil has not become rancid

Rancid Oil is worse than not taking any phospho-essentials at all... very, very detrimental to your health

And "worth it" actually can be defined, but being as Fatty acids are the most complex of the macros, I wouldn't even begin here.

Just Google away.

You will find how essential fatty acids work to build muscle and increase hormone production.... duuuuhhh.. mainly, testosterone

Also, as far as the Eskimos are concerned, this is a statement I have also referred to many, many times, but stick to this one instead: If a little is good, more is not better...

Everything in moderation.... EVERYTHING

cmarquez

• Getbig I
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »
Its gone now both the prostate and the cancer" LOL:D... But I have a question on fish oil, I've encountered some article that Omega 3 supplement may increase the risk of prostate cancer in men. Been taking my wife Fish Oil supplement for a month now as alternative to Advil for joint pains... would it be better to take a plant source Omega 3 supplement or fish oil?

NO, they don't have the dha and epa levels fish oil does and that's where the positive effects from.

Oh Ok, I was just confused there when one of the salesman from the grocer mentioned about potency and I was confused since the mg content EPA and DHA shows much enough on the ones my wifes been buying... Went to the doc yesterday and he advised that if I don't have family history of Prostate cancer there's no need to worry, but can't be too sure so he just advised 3g max daily.

Thanks Ritch!

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
Ego maniac doesn't even notice the woman, just staring at his bicep. Typical bodybuilder.

Halo ripping on his idol Ronald Coleman?  ???

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
Halo ripping on his idol Ronald Coleman?  ???
juicemachine is Halo?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
juicemachine is Halo?

Here's what I don't understand....

How come AnabolicHalo pretends to love bodybuilding so much, but now decides to log into this gimmick account with the same IP address he has used before in order bash bodybuilding?

Halo, why are you using this juicemachine gimmick to now bash bodybuilding?

"1"

Apparently

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
so what supplements are actually worth the money?

vitamin D
fish oils
whey protein powder
BCAAS

what about omega 6's like evening primrose oil and borage oil
l

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
"Its gone now both the prostate and the cancer" LOL:D... But I have a question on fish oil, I've encountered some article that Omega 3 supplement may increase the risk of prostate cancer in men. Been taking my wife Fish Oil supplement for a month now as alternative to Advil for joint pains... would it be better to take a plant source Omega 3 supplement or fish oil?

I researched this some after someone posted something about there being a possible correlation between prostate cancer and flax-seed oil. I could not find any definitive or conclusive arguments that support this argument. My doctor's  and my conclusion is that both flax-seed and fish oil is a heart healthy supplement and not something that causes prostate cancer.

Again, if you read about prostate cancer, you'll discover that it is the most common cancer in men. Many men have it, but they die from other illnesses before they will die from prostate cancer. Considering I was almost 70 years old when it was diagnosed in me and that prostate cancer is often a slow growing cancer, I could have lived out the rest of my life without succumbing to prostate cancer. It just wasn't a risk I wanted to take.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »
Apparently

Too much of cheap Polish vodka fuck up his head  :)

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
so what supplements are actually worth the money?

vitamin D
fish oils
whey protein powder
BCAAS

what about omega 6's like evening primrose oil and borage oil

I don't know if you could call it a supplement, but adding a few cloves of garlic per day will significantly raise good cholesterol, lower bad cholesterol and significantly lower blood pressure, and reduce the incidence of common colds.

Magnesium is another good supplement, as the average diet is low in magnesium. Magnesium is involved in many functions of the body. It can also significantly lower blood pressure those who have high blood pressure or low in magnesium. It can help with sleep and muscle relaxation.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
I don't know if you could call it a supplement, but adding a few cloves of garlic per day will significantly raise good cholesterol, lower bad cholesterol and significantly lower blood pressure, and reduce the incidence of common colds.

Magnesium is another good supplement, as the average diet is low in magnesium. Magnesium is involved in many functions of the body. It can also significantly lower blood pressure those who have high blood pressure or low in magnesium. It can help with sleep and muscle relaxation.

I began taking magnesium a couple of months ago to lower blood pressure. My blood pressure is better, so it must work.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
I began taking magnesium a couple of months ago to lower blood pressure. My blood pressure is better, so it must work.

Do you notice any benefits with sleep or muscle relaxation. Many people report they sleep much better with the supplement ZMA, it probably the magnesium causing that effect.

I recently started taking magnesium transdermally via a spray, I notice 5 minutes after applying I feel very relaxed in the body. I never got that effect from capsules. Great for after workout or before bed.

Epsom salt baths people take for recovery is basically a transdermal application of magnesium.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
When buying oil filled gel caps you have to cut one open regardless of the expiration date and make sure the oil has not become rancid

Rancid Oil is worse than not taking any phospho-essentials at all... very, very detrimental to your health

And "worth it" actually can be defined, but being as Fatty acids are the most complex of the macros, I wouldn't even begin here.

Just Google away.

You will find how essential fatty acids work to build muscle and increase hormone production.... duuuuhhh.. mainly, testosterone

Also, as far as the Eskimos are concerned, this is a statement I have also referred to many, many times, but stick to this one instead: If a little is good, more is not better...

Everything in moderation.... EVERYTHING

Absolutely superb bit of advice that everybody should pay attention to.

I have had elevated cholesterol levels for some time, I am not on gear, and have been trying to get my cholesterol levels down for a long time.

I have tried all sorts of changes to my diet and in the past couple of months with no success so I decided to stop taking any Omega-3 supplements. I have been taking an Omega-3 fish oil/GLA supplement for the past ten years.

Since I stopped taking it my cholesterol levels have started dropping, both LDL and HDL levels.

Not only in my case but another friend of mine who had elevated cholesterol levels to stopped their Omega-3 supplementation and their cholesterol levels dropped and HDL/LDL profile shifted in favour of HDL.

I am pretty sure that in both our cases the oils were rancid, leading to arterial inflammation, damage to the endothelium and elevated cholesterol.

I think fish oil has benefits, but I am not confident in the supplement form, so sticking with eating fish a few times a week for now.