Author Topic: If you voted for Obama  (Read 1401 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: If you voted for Obama
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
That must sting. I never look at my investments on a day-to-day basis.

I don't think I can really blame Obama for that. Benny gives Obama the credit for the rise in the markets but is quiet when they plunge like in the last week or so. The market is going to rise and fall regardless and depending what stocks you have invested, they're going to grow over time anyway. I'm 52 and I'm on track to retire comfortably by 57. I'm not an expert in the markets but I keep up.

Hey Strawman, not bad for someone who teaches people how to flip tires.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: If you voted for Obama
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »
I don't think I can really blame Obama for that.

Well, I'm actually pleasantly surprised! I was mostly making the point that seeing your investments drop in value, even if the drop is only on paper, stings.

Benny gives Obama the credit for the rise in the markets but is quiet when they plunge like in the last week or so. The market is going to rise and fall regardless and depending what stocks you have invested, they're going to grow over time anyway. I'm 52 and I'm on track to retire comfortably by 57. I'm not an expert in the markets but I keep up.

Glad to hear you've saved for retirement, especially since you're a small business owner; not an easy thing to do. Props.

I agree - the market is going to rise and fall - long term it should go up, provided the economy isn't completely hosed. I don't think that it is and we'll manage to pull through, but the last few years have been tough. I don't think that Obama is exclusively to blame for that, but he has his share of the blame, as do the buffoons in Congress.  Generally speaking people tend to focus too much on the President - saying things like "he should fix the economy!" - and nobody stops to ask them "hey, how's the President going to do that? What tool, specifically, does he wield which allows him to manipulate the economy?" especially in the "short-term" micro-economic sense. You'll hear people say: "the stock market has been down 3% since inauguartion, 4 days ago. This President just isn't doing enough" or "the tech sector is tanking under President Luddite!"

Also, what the hell? You're 52? I recall seeing a pic on you about to do a contest and you didn't look 52. What's your secret? Do you moisturize? (no homo)

Hey Strawman, not bad for someone who teaches people how to flip tires.

Does that really work btw? As someone with lower back problems, I cringe just thinking about typing the words "flipping a tire."