Author Topic: Federal Appeals Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Law  (Read 11312 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Federal Appeals Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Law
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Gee, if it was such a breeze for you, then certainly no one else's experience will be different.  ::)

clearly not. Every experience is the same, always, without question.

If you have to jump through hoops to get an ID, you do. You pretty much have to have one to do ANYTHING in the US.

Except prove your identity to vote.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
clearly not. Every experience is the same, always, without question.

If you have to jump through hoops to get an ID, you do. You pretty much have to have one to do ANYTHING in the US.

Except prove your identity to vote.

Considering that so many people  who would be affected by this law are elderly, that alone is enough to prove it isn't true. Once again, YOUR experiences are not universal. There are plenty of ways to be poor without and make it through life without having government issued i.d.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
Considering that so many people  who would be affected by this law are elderly, that alone is enough to prove it isn't true. Once again, YOUR experiences are not universal. There are plenty of ways to be poor without and make it through life without having government issued i.d.
Yeah, im sure there are.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Honestly, I'm not philosophically opposed to ex-cons voting, but there are other ways besides voter ids to verify people have the right to vote. With or without government issued ids, those measures have to be used.

A government ID is the most common way for people to prove their identity. 

Should someone have to prove they live in the right district to vote?  Or what about illegal aliens?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
This example is silly. First of all, there's not one polling station.
There are several. Why are there several? To make it as easy as possible to give the most people access. To limit the amount of work people have to do to vote. It would be impossible to have a polling station the same distance from everyone's home. It is not impossible to hold an election without attempting to disenfranchise voters along economic lines.

As for your comparison between voting access and the hard knock lives of lower income children, does your volunteer work entail intentionally making their lives more difficult? If there was a  way to even the playing field so that the kids you work with were able to get the same results from the same amount of work, wouldn't that be the better option? That's not something possible to enforce insitutionally. But it is possible to create as level a playing field as possible for a basic right.

My example is spot on.  You claim some people shouldn't have to work harder than others to vote.  That's not reality.  Of course every district has one or more polling stations, but some people who live in rural areas may have to travel a bit.  If that person is poor and has no transportation, then they have to work harder than the person who lives nearby and has a nice ride.

I help disadvantaged kids with improving literacy, among other things.  We are trying to help do what the public school system fails to do. 

Requiring an ID to vote is an across the board, fair requirement, so no, the government isn't precluding anyone from voting. 

I was just looking at Virginia's requirements.  Reasonable requirements, including providing free IDs for people who cannot afford them.

http://sbe.virginia.gov/index.php/casting-a-ballot/in-person-voting/

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »

What a ridiculous statement.  You can't donate time to get ID's....and again, its just a sad ploy by Republicans to win elections which will seriously backfire on them eventually.  

Yes you can, moron..   I have personally driven people to the secretary of state to register to vote.   I have personally driven van loads of people to vote.  You could just as easily drive people to get a photo ID...at the secretary of state.  For fuck sake, I've done more for black people than you ever have. 
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
A government ID is the most common way for people to prove their identity. 

Should someone have to prove they live in the right district to vote?  Or what about illegal aliens?

too bad a photo id from the Veterans Administration is not an acceptable form of ID

and what about illegal aliens ?

they can't vote

remember

and since most try to stay "under the radar" why would they risk being caught by voting and how exactly would they register in the first place

next you're going probably going ask well what about human looking extra-terrestrials or shape shifters who look like humans ?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »

There are 600,000 people in Texas who lack the proper ID by the state's standard to most.  The vast majority of them are poor, black, and elderly. 

The Republicans pushed for this law for political gain....nothing else.  Voter fraud is where your unicorn is.....there's nothing for anyone to gain from it.  People rob banks....not ballot boxes

Then I guess those poor, black, and elderly people have some work to do.  They have had three years already to comply.  These are adults we're talking about, not children.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
Then I guess those poor, black, and elderly people have some work to do.  They have had three years already to comply.  These are adults we're talking about, not children.

In the eyes of the left they will always be children. 
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
In the eyes of the left they will always be children. 

Tell me about it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:56 AM »
too bad a photo id from the Veterans Administration is not an acceptable form of ID

and what about illegal aliens ?

they can't vote

remember

and since most try to stay "under the radar" why would they risk being caught by voting and how exactly would they register in the first place

next you're going probably going ask well what about human looking extra-terrestrials or shape shifters who look like humans ?

i already told you i knew a family that registered 4 fake SS cards per family member and drew disability on them all, and i know for a fact that they all voted using absentee ballots. The dad did used to do side work under the table for my boss and he offered to sell me forged cards with full welfare.

Also, they have a side business selling the forged SS card to illegals coming up from Cali to Wa where they settle in relatively small towns and life off their forged SS cards.

So yes, they vote. Multiple times, illegally.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 06:51:48 AM »
i already told you i knew a family that registered 4 fake SS cards per family member and drew disability on them all, and i know for a fact that they all voted using absentee ballots. The dad did used to do side work under the table for my boss and he offered to sell me forged cards with full welfare.

Also, they have a side business selling the forged SS card to illegals coming up from Cali to Wa where they settle in relatively small towns and life off their forged SS cards.

So yes, they vote. Multiple times, illegally.

what happened when you turned them in?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »
My example is spot on.  You claim some people shouldn't have to work harder than others to vote.  That's not reality.  Of course every district has one or more polling stations, but some people who live in rural areas may have to travel a bit.  If that person is poor and has no transportation, then they have to work harder than the person who lives nearby and has a nice ride.

I help disadvantaged kids with improving literacy, among other things.  We are trying to help do what the public school system fails to do. 

Requiring an ID to vote is an across the board, fair requirement, so no, the government isn't precluding anyone from voting. 

I was just looking at Virginia's requirements.  Reasonable requirements, including providing free IDs for people who cannot afford them.

http://sbe.virginia.gov/index.php/casting-a-ballot/in-person-voting/

Virginia gives free ids but Texas doesn't....not to mention that most people would need to get a birth certificate to get a new ID...in Texas that's 42 dollars for a copy btw.  Elderly people who live on Social Security cannot afford that and people living paycheck to paycheck would rather buy food for their kids with the 52 dollars....lets not forget that they would miss a few hours or even a day of work getting all of these things.

You know good and well that the Republicans passed the law not because they care about "integrity in the voting booth" but to simply keep the poor and elderly who overwhelmingly do not vote Republican from voting at all.   Its a scumbag move and its why a number of judges are throwing them out.  Eventually Texas will endure the same fate.

A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »

Virginia gives free ids but Texas doesn't....not to mention that most people would need to get a birth certificate to get a new ID...in Texas that's 42 dollars for a copy btw.  Elderly people who live on Social Security cannot afford that and people living paycheck to paycheck would rather buy food for their kids with the 52 dollars....lets not forget that they would miss a few hours or even a day of work getting all of these things.

You know good and well that the Republicans passed the law not because they care about "integrity in the voting booth" but to simply keep the poor and elderly who overwhelmingly do not vote Republican from voting at all.   Its a scumbag move and its why a number of judges are throwing them out.  Eventually Texas will endure the same fate.

Elections occur every two years. 42 dollars over 24 months. That's a whopping $1.75 a month they'd have to save.....OH THE HUMANITY, no cheese on your Whopper.

People on fixed incomes blow more than that on cigarettes and/or lotto tickets.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »

what happened when you turned them in?
I dont rat anyone out. Im not the law and its not my job to play cop.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
Elections occur every two years. 42 dollars over 24 months. That's a whopping $1.75 a month they'd have to save.....OH THE HUMANITY, no cheese on your Whopper.

Yeah, or their crack rocks and spinnin' rims, amirite? ???

This is such an arrogant mindset. Because $42 is not a big deal to you, it's not a big deal to poor people.
Statistically, most people are living paycheck to paycheck and people living in poverty are barely managing that. Saving $1.75 each month  is a huge deal when the limited money you get is already accounted for before you get it. Most people experienced a time in their lives (most likely college through early 20) when you felt lucky just to have $5 or $10 bucks in your pocket.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Yeah, or their crack rocks and spinnin' rims, amirite? ???

You said it, not me. I've seen it firsthand. People in the hood with $100+ dollar shoes, somehow can't afford an ID to vote. Women struggling to paid their bills SOMEHOW manage to get longer hair and nails in the span of a week. But getting an ID (for about a fifth of what they spend on weave) is just TOOOOOO MUCH!!

This is such an arrogant mindset. Because $42 is not a big deal to you, it's not a big deal to poor people.
Statistically, most people are living paycheck to paycheck and people living in poverty are barely managing that. Saving $1.75 each month  is a huge deal when the limited money you get is already accounted for before you get it. Most people experienced a time in their lives (most likely college through early 20) when you felt lucky just to have $5 or $10 bucks in your pocket.

News flash: I've been poor, lived in the 'hood, the whole nine. Yet, SOMEHOW, I managed to (rather easily) get a valid ID.

Saving $1.75 (seven quarters) a MONTH is a big deal? In what bizarro world is that? I was able to save more than that A WEEK, flipping burgers at Wendy's.

$1.75? That's about two days' BUS FARE (or, it was back in the day when I was using public transit)!!!

In some places, IDs are FREE. So what's your silly excuse to cover that one?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
I dont rat anyone out. Im not the law and its not my job to play cop.

So you knowingly let these people defraud YOU and every other tax payer and also let them commit voter fraud

So I guess if you saw someone commit murder, armed robbery, child abuse, etc... you wouldn't "rat them out" either?

Hey, do you think since these people have no problem getting fraudulent social security cards that they are going to have any problem getting a fraudulent photo ID

so these criminals will still have no problem voting but actual eligible voters will be disenfranchised and people like you will just look the other way

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
You said it, not me. I've seen it firsthand. People in the hood with $100+ dollar shoes, somehow can't afford an ID to vote. Women struggling to paid their bills SOMEHOW manage to get longer hair and nails in the span of a week. But getting an ID (for about a fifth of what they spend on weave) is just TOOOOOO MUCH!!
Yeah, I said it because you sound ignorant. Living in the hood, even having trouble paying your bills is not what we're talking about here.  Most of the people you are describing probably  have id or would not have trouble getting it. What is the issue here is poverty (in some cases extreme poverty) combined with unconventional backgrounds or  unstable current circumstances. We're not talking about young ladies who want to have their hair done. We're more frequently talking about older people with virtually no disposable income or an inability to track down certain documents.

News flash: I've been poor, lived in the 'hood, the whole nine. Yet, SOMEHOW, I managed to (rather easily) get a valid ID.
Once again, not the issue.

Saving $1.75 (seven quarters) a MONTH is a big deal? In what bizarro world is that? I was able to save more than that A WEEK, flipping burgers at Wendy's.
Did you have children? Were you living with your parents? Did you ever have an amount saved, then an emergency popped up which required you to spend it all?  It may not be your reality, but it is certainly not a bizarro universe for people on the lower end of the economic scale to spend every dollar they earn within a month, and it's not due to weaves and $100+ shoes. You have kids, you have an emergency, you have no credit, you make very little money += spending literally every dime you have. It's called being poor.

$1.75? That's about two days' BUS FARE (or, it was back in the day when I was using public transit)!!!
Once again, your extreme arrogance showing. For some people, it's just a reality that every dollar has to be counted. Just because that does not apply to you doesn't mean that no one has those concerns.

In some places, IDs are FREE. So what's your silly excuse to cover that one?
The cost of the id is only one of several reasons people may not have an id. Several have been listed, over and over, in this thread.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
The cost of the id is only one of several reasons people may not have an id. Several have been listed, over and over, in this thread.

And yet, none of them are particularly credible.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »
So you knowingly let these people defraud YOU and every other tax payer and also let them commit voter fraud

So I guess if you saw someone commit murder, armed robbery, child abuse, etc... you wouldn't "rat them out" either?

Hey, do you think since these people have no problem getting fraudulent social security cards that they are going to have any problem getting a fraudulent photo ID

so these criminals will still have no problem voting but actual eligible voters will be disenfranchised and people like you will just look the other way
Yes, yes i did let them. I have no desire to fuck with someones life no matter how deplorable i find their actions. Thats the Polices job to catch criminals, not mine, im no do gooding crusader.

And i dont have any clue how easy itd be for them to forge passable, scannable Wa state IDs, one reason being that they had fake SS cards but not IDs.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
And yet, none of them are particularly credible.

No, they've all been credible. The thing is the appeals rulings and the Supreme Court don't even deny that these policies are transparently discriminatory.  The main factor in most of the recent rulings has been whether or not it's too close to an election to institute changes.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
My example is spot on.  You claim some people shouldn't have to work harder than others to vote.  That's not reality.  Of course every district has one or more polling stations, but some people who live in rural areas may have to travel a bit. 

No, that was a poor example. If it was a hardship for a voter to get to the poll, they have the option of voting by absentee ballot. Why is there an option to do that? To make the process as accessible and easy for as many people possible!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »

The law was just reinstated...no time to save and no time for the state to issue birth certificates because it takes about 4 weeks for one to be mailed...if they can get one to begin with.  Republicans have effectively accomplished their mission of squashing the poor and elderly vote.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/identificationrequirements.htm

The law will prevent over 600,000 US citizens from voting in the election...period.   

A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
Yes, yes i did let them. I have no desire to fuck with someones life no matter how deplorable i find their actions. Thats the Polices job to catch criminals, not mine, im no do gooding crusader.

And i dont have any clue how easy itd be for them to forge passable, scannable Wa state IDs, one reason being that they had fake SS cards but not IDs.

if you're going to look the other way while someone rips YOU off and fraudulently votes in YOUR elections then you have nothing to complain about regard requiring a photo ID to vote or even in a debate about welfare fraud or illegal immigration

We're not talking about turning your neighbor in who cheats on his taxes

These are illegal aliens committing multiple crimes and you have a civic duty to not look the other way

I'm sure you're aware that law enforcement depends on help from citizens all the time so your excuse that it's "their job" to catch criminals is complete bullshit