Author Topic: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?  (Read 12776 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »
I used to be one of those.  The team would lose and my week would be ruined, wore the team's colors, read and watched everything about them then I grew up, met a few NFLers at the gym who cared more about money than they did if their team wins or loses and wondered why the fuck do I care so much about these guys who don't give a shit themselves?

I especially don't get why people who live and were raised in a certain city get obsessed with another city's team.  I understand rooting for your home team but why root for someone elses?  People take this shit way too seriously.  I have read a boatload of stories of fans getting shot, stabbed, beaten up etc.. at games.  Why are people so fucking stupid?  I know a guy who bought a million dollar home to paint the entire inside in Yellow and Black because he's a steelers fan.  The guy's an idiot.  Who does this shit?

Ever see the end of the game when a team that gets beat is laughing it up with the opposing team?  Fans are crying and acting like fools and the players just move on and don't give a fuck.  They go back, change into their Tom Ford suits, dive their ferraris back to their 10,000 sqft pads and have top 10 models suck them off while the average Joe beats his kids and wife because "his" team lost.

just don't get it.

MikMaq

Re: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
Some people cannot separate fiction from reality.

That being said the reality is your gonna die  relatively soon.

It's important to find distractions.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
Because some people live their lives through their team.  When their team is winning, they feel they are winning even though they have absolutely nothing to do with it.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »
It is very baffling to me. I never understood the appeal. People go crazy. I mean, its not even their victory. Its someone elses.

I think it could better be chalked up to a group experience. Most people go crazy for sports when they are in a group with others. Read up on the term, "emotional contagion." It will help you better understand group dynamics and the appeal of sports.
X

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
It is very baffling to me. I never understood the appeal. People go crazy. I mean, its not even their victory. Its someone elses.

I think it could better be chalked up to a group experience. Most people go crazy for sports when they are in a group with others. Read up on the term, "emotional contagion." It will help you better understand group dynamics and the appeal of sports.

Especially when its a team nowhere near their geographical area. Thats what really baffles me.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Have you not read my  National Joe Six Pack Closeted Man Love Day thread or any of my numerous thoughts on this subject, particularly the homo-erotic connections?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=261276.0

MikMaq

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Have you not read my  National Joe Six Pack Closeted Man Love Day thread or any of my numerous thoughts on this subject, particularly the homo-erotic connections?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=261276.0
Your such a pretentious nob, your a walking stereotype of someone with no connection to real life experiences.

You come clean on your mental state, your either autistic, Schizoid, Psychopathic or something.

You are fucking up your own connection to reality with your pretentious bullshit.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
Never gave a shit. It baffled me even as a 10 year old.

I am however a 'fan' of companies and how they do business.

MikMaq

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
Because some people live their lives through their team.  When their team is winning, they feel they are winning even though they have absolutely nothing to do with it.
If your human you are losing, everyone gets old and dies, this is the trap of being narcissitic, no matter how good you actually are, at some point you will snort the dirt.
Especially when its a team nowhere near their geographical area. Thats what really baffles me.

Meh I live in a place where attention is split between 3 nhl teams(Bruins,Habs,Shitsuckers).

I find it's way better because it's tied into family history.

My dad's generatio loves the shit suckers, Grandfathers the habs because that was the place to be back then, and alot of families a bit older love the bruins.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
what if a kid went to a lot of sporting events with his old man (say Red Sox games) and their bond grew stronger because of attending (or watching or listening to) baseball games together and they've got nothing but fond memories of rooting for the same team thru the ups and the downs, year after year ... and then "the kid" wants to keep that magical father-son connection going forever and so when he becomes a dad himself he takes his kid to his first ballgame etc. ... so then you'll have generation after generation of father-son fans down at Fenway Park (for example) staring out at the same ol' Green Monster just like their descendants before them.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
Simple answer... because society conditions them to.

I never understood it at all.

So many more things to learn and do in life than waste time watching sports.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
what if a kid went to a lot of sporting events with his old man (say Red Sox games) and their bond grew stronger because of attending (or watching or listening to) baseball games together and they've got nothing but fond memories of rooting for the same team thru the ups and the downs, year after year ... and then "the kid" wants to keep that magical father-son connection going forever and so when he becomes a dad himself he takes his kid to his first ballgame etc. ... so then you'll have generation after generation of father-son fans down at Fenway Park (for example) staring out at the Green Monster just like their descendants before them.

That's in a perfect world. Usually its a bunch of drunk, rowdy men causing trouble.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »
what if a kid went to a lot of sporting events with his old man (say Red Sox games) and their bond grew stronger because of attending (or watching or listening to) baseball games together and they've got nothing but fond memories of rooting for the same team thru the ups and the downs, year after year ... and then "the kid" wants to keep that magical father-son connection going forever and so when he becomes a dad himself he takes his kid to his first ballgame etc. ... so then you'll have generation after generation of father-son fans down at Fenway Park (for example) staring out at the Green Monster just like their descendants before them.
Let me guess, the father ends up getting a terminal illness and the son flies in from his job as a corporate CEO and recalls his childhood.  They take dad to one last game and he has the time of his life.  A few weeks later he is on his death bead, barely able to speak when he motions his son to come over.  He whispers in his son`s ear, "Son, Babe Ruth was your father and I am just a guy that tried to get in your pants all these years".  Then he dies.

We all have seen that movie before Mr. Joad.  Its cute, but its never like it is in the movies.

MikMaq

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »

So many more things to learn and do in life than waste time watching sports.
Like what, serious question?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
We all have seen that movie before Mr. Joad.  Its cute, but its never like it is in the movies.

well, it might not be the norm today, but the "father-son" connection thing is how it's worked for me ... (not with the Red Sox tho.)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

Rooting and obsession are two different things. Nothing wrong when you support your city's team but the obsessive part is odd.  Wearing a jersey with another man's name on it.  Most sports obsessive fan's would cheer if their favorite player was fucking their wives.  Some odd subserviant behavior.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »
You either like sports or you don't.

I personally do not know how a red-blooded male would not like sports.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
I root for my team but when they lose I just remind myself they are just rich spoiled assholes who don't give a shit about me and live great lives.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
I used to be one of those.  The team would lose and my week would be ruined, wore the team's colors, read and watched everything about them then I grew up, met a few NFLers at the gym who cared more about money than they did if their team wins or loses and wondered why the fuck do I care so much about these guys who don't give a shit themselves?

I especially don't get why people who live and were raised in a certain city get obsessed with another city's team.  I understand rooting for your home team but why root for someone elses?  People take this shit way too seriously.  I have read a boatload of stories of fans getting shot, stabbed, beaten up etc.. at games.  Why are people so fucking stupid?  I know a guy who bought a million dollar home to paint the entire inside in Yellow and Black because he's a steelers fan.  The guy's an idiot.  Who does this shit?

Ever see the end of the game when a team that gets beat is laughing it up with the opposing team?  Fans are crying and acting like fools and the players just move on and don't give a fuck.  They go back, change into their Tom Ford suits, dive their ferraris back to their 10,000 sqft pads and have top 10 models suck them off while the average Joe beats his kids and wife because "his" team lost.

just don't get it.

That's because "sports teams" are part of the culture/tradition and society

your ancestors can b Yankees fan , and while you live in Boston you can root for Yankees too  ( not rocket science there)

You're only seeing the extreme of both ends,  the obsession,madness, the  business aspect" of it etc .. ...

But I know that those huge names of team sports once their team get eliminated they do go back to their mansions and follow the remaining teams in playoffs and act even worse than the average joe when say a pitcher ruins a game or a "walk off error" like the recent one of Cardinals vs giants...

I have had the chance of being there.

WooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the vast majority of fans of "sport teams" ' enjoy a healthy entertainment....   that's all

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »

Did she just hear her parents died in a plane crash?

Totally absurd.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Like what, serious question?

If you are being serious, I feel sorry for you.

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
Lack of achievements or goals in their own life ???

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
Did she just hear her parents died in a plane crash?

Totally absurd.

lol ....  she has to wait another 4 long years to see if her team can qualify for the world cup ....shouldn't be crying, but not totally absurd either.

WooOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH  BE YE KE

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Just a hobby, like a lot of things.  Why do people obsess over any of the stuff they obsess over?