Author Topic: Dumbell shoulder press  (Read 11590 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Dumbell shoulder press
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
Yeah, that last few inches is brutal on the shoulders if you don't have great thoracic mobility which 99% of us don't

In fact most people are in no shape to safely overhead press anything never mind full rom with heavy weights

I do superslow with a plate a side on the hammer machine , one arm at a time, after chest and laterals. Ohp just isn't safe

Took me a long time to come to terms with the fact overhead pressing is no good for shoulder health, and I was a very strong/strict oh presser

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Dumbbell Shoulder Press is complete bullshit the way most people do them.  Most people use a bench with a backing and the press their back so hard against the chair as that is the only way to get the weight up.  They use DBs they should not be handling at all and most will do half reps.  Even if they don`t do half reps that pressure against the chair is taking emphasis off the shoulders.

Best way to do them is seating with no backing behind you.  Just on a flat bench.  You can`t cheat and its all shoulders.  The other is just complete bullshit.  Also, bring them all they way down.  The 90 degree parallel is for morons and you can do a ton of weight that way.

Also, another variation is do them standing keeping the legs locked.  
gotta disagree man, going down past parallel, even dropping the weights down, did nothing but aggravate my shoulders and cause me pain. I found same or better results with no pain going to parallel.

I see no tangible benefis for going past and ive seen no good arguments so far about what you actually gain going past parallel.

Taking away the bench backing i could see making a difference, but no ones actually said what you GAIN from going down thise extra 3" besides shoulder pain.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

Took me a long time to come to terms with the fact overhead pressing is no good for shoulder health, and I was a very strong/strict oh presser

Overhead presses with a barbell can be bad for rotator cuffs, but dumbbell presses are fine.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
Yeah I've had major rotator cuff pain but I warm up really good and dumbbell press seems fine.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen some twink just walk  in grab the fifties and and grunt out six hard reps, no warmup or nothing.  I've mentioned it to a few guys but now I just don't bother.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
Overhead presses with a barbell can be bad for rotator cuffs, but dumbbell presses are fine.

There fine for a period of time, then you slowly fuck your shoulders right up..... I havnt pressed overhead for a good few yr now and I rarely loose time with shoulder problems anymore

I read an article by phil herman?off pro muscle and he explained the mechanics beautifully, made the penny drop for me anyway

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
I've found that doing these standing helps avoid the opportunity to ego lift. Good exercise and easy to execute if you workout at the gym or if you're lifting at home.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »

There fine for a period of time, then you slowly fuck your shoulders right up..... I havnt pressed overhead for a good few yr now and I rarely loose time with shoulder problems anymore

I read an article by phil herman?off pro muscle and he explained the mechanics beautifully, made the penny drop for me anyway

I haven't had that issue. I only get rotator pain when military pressing. I do heavy (for me) dumbbell presses every week and I love it.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
The worse your shoulders are the more you may angle your arms inward.
I have to say that a fairly light weight tends to hit the shoulders pretty good.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »

The delts are better hit with fully controlled, constant tension laterals anyway, pressing is mostly tris and front delts for the majority of people

Gave up shoulder pressing and dips last year while my shoulders still work, that sucked because I was also strong as shit on both lifts but the short lived ego boost from dipping 6 plates or pressing 120s overhead isn't worth needing shoulder surgery at 50

Now I use 20lb DBS and bands for laterals.. My shoulders look exactly the same they just don't hurt all the time

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
you guys are a bunch of babies. my shoulder hurts, i cant do press that way. just do them

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Try these...

Thanx for the vid Donny.  I think I will try them.  Did a bunch just pressing air and damn I felt them.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
This thread is Getbig Classic. Guys with shoulder injuries say that THEY don't use full rom and they feel better. Then there is the invisible Google warriors that scream "full rom or you're a pussy!" At the top of their little lungs with pure Broscience as backup.

Mawse said it right: very, very few people have the thoracic mobility to do an OHP correct. Like 95%. And those folks should CONSIDER that it is they that might be the ego lifters here with they rom-or-nothing approach.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »
This thread is Getbig Classic. Guys with shoulder injuries say that THEY don't use full rom and they feel better. Then there is the invisible Google warriors that scream "full rom or you're a pussy!" At the top of their little lungs with pure Broscience as backup.

Mawse said it right: very, very few people have the thoracic mobility to do an OHP correct. Like 95%. And those folks should CONSIDER that it is they that might be the ego lifters here with they rom-or-nothing approach.
I am certain that everyone can do a full ROM with a light enough weight.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
The delts are better hit with fully controlled, constant tension laterals anyway, pressing is mostly tris and front delts for the majority of people

Gave up shoulder pressing and dips last year while my shoulders still work, that sucked because I was also strong as shit on both lifts but the short lived ego boost from dipping 6 plates or pressing 120s overhead isn't worth needing shoulder surgery at 50

Now I use 20lb DBS and bands for laterals.. My shoulders look exactly the same they just don't hurt all the time

Not that old, but listened to enough people to make the decision that this is the best approach to take. Haven't done shoulder presses in years and have noticed no difference.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
Whichever way best suits your body mechanics, flexibility and injuries.

Gonna agree here. I haven't done a shoulder press in some time maybe over a year. Don't seem to suffer without them, hit front delts a lot and not competing anyway. They just caused more problems than anything.

I also never pressed any weight I could not lift myself. That meant 45kg dumbells or so was limit I never asked someone to help get dumbells in starting position. Im sure I could have pressed over 50kg for 8 reps or so but the risk of injury with seated dumbell raises is high enough without pushing it to limit.

For the record I dropped to bottom of rom ie beyond parallel when I did them.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »
Dumbbell Shoulder Press is complete bullshit the way most people do them.  Most people use a bench with a backing and the press their back so hard against the chair as that is the only way to get the weight up.  They use DBs they should not be handling at all and most will do half reps.  Even if they don`t do half reps that pressure against the chair is taking emphasis off the shoulders.

Best way to do them is seating with no backing behind you.  Just on a flat bench.  You can`t cheat and its all shoulders.  The other is just complete bullshit.  Also, bring them all they way down.  The 90 degree parallel is for morons and you can do a ton of weight that way.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=553041.0 ...Are you able to see the common factor between these?  ;D

If you have to cry your piss poor development after years of training with your own advices, why are you so keen to give advises to others? To give they a chance to get their fair share of piss poor development? I mean what is the point? You have been training for years, still looking like novice, and you think you have something to share about the training methods? Only what you can say which would make some sense, would be: Do not do what I have done..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
I am certain that everyone can do a full ROM with a light enough weight.

Why would you even do an OHP with limited thoracic mobility. Usually with lack of thoracic mobility, you would lack external rotation. If you have shoulder pain, don't do an OHP movement.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
Why would you even do an OHP with limited thoracic mobility. Usually with lack of thoracic mobility, you would lack external rotation. If you have shoulder pain, don't do an OHP movement.

People with arthritic knee pain have trouble walking.  What eases this kind of pain?  Walking.  Way to increase mobility is with stretching, lots and lots of warmup and going light.  Dumbell press safer than barbell press.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
People with arthritic knee pain have trouble walking.  What eases this kind of pain?  Walking.  Way to increase mobility is with stretching, lots and lots of warmup and going light.  Dumbell press safer than barbell press.

Also gh helps.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »

??? That scenario is irrelevant to shoulder pain. If you have shoulder pain and can't identify the cause of the pain, you stay away from any type of overhead pressing movement.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
This or arms parallel to the floor if u plan on training for a very long time. Going really deep and behind the neck presses will tear your shoulders up over the years. Train smart, we didn't know all this over 30 yrs ago.

No necessarily.
54 no shoulder problems & still do press behind neck.
Genetics or exercise form.??
I don't know, never had any probs with them.
Though I have always warmed up & a big believer in flexibility work.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »

standing is better as you have to pay more attention to form as well as developing balance
c

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=553041.0 ...Are you able to see the common factor between these?  ;D

If you have to cry your piss poor development after years of training with your own advices, why are you so keen to give advises to others? To give they a chance to get their fair share of piss poor development? I mean what is the point? You have been training for years, still looking like novice, and you think you have something to share about the training methods? Only what you can say which would make some sense, would be: Do not do what I have done..
::)
Piss poor?  My arms and shoulders are way larger than yours and stronger. You look like shit.  Hope this helps.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

No necessarily.
54 no shoulder problems & still do press behind neck.
Genetics or exercise form.??
I don't know, never had any probs with them.
Though I have always warmed up & a big believer in flexibility work.
[/quote Glad to hear that for you. I train a lot of guys over 60 and 70 yrs old. Let me know how u are doing in another 20 years. I hope u don't need a shoulder replacement, they are no fun.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
??? That scenario is irrelevant to shoulder pain. If you have shoulder pain and can't identify the cause of the pain, you stay away from any type of overhead pressing movement.

I do have shoulder pain caused by benching injury from years ago, which is how most lifters damage their shoulders.  However stretching and good warmups have help immensely.  I still do overhead dumbells and smith press without too much problems. If I avoided every exercise that caused me pain I would never lift.  Sometimes you got too suck it up.