Author Topic: Is NSA selling data to big retailers?  (Read 1639 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Is NSA selling data to big retailers?
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
Being serious here.  Was chatting on the phone about needing a shed and then in my email is one from Home Depot about a shed.  Had the same thing happen a couple months ago about buying a Wii and sure enough Amazon emails me about a great deal on the Wii.  Are these fuckers taping our convos then allowing these shills to scan for keywords to target us?  its not hard for them to see if you've ordered before, cross reference your email/phone number with their database then email you deals.  Shit seems shady.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Is NSA selling data to big retailers?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
Being serious here.  Was chatting on the phone about needing a shed and then in my email is one from Home Depot about a shed.  Had the same thing happen a couple months ago about buying a Wii and sure enough Amazon emails me about a great deal on the Wii.  Are these fuckers taping our convos then allowing these shills to scan for keywords to target us?  its not hard for them to see if you've ordered before, cross reference your email/phone number with their database then email you deals.  Shit seems shady.

You have no idea the science that online advertisers are using these days to track you. If you ever searched for a Wii or a shed on Google or looked at either online, advertisers KNOW that now.

There are some global advertisers that have massive databases that link via a super cookie in your browser and they know a ridiculous amount about you.

So, no. It ain't the NSA, it's online marketers at their info that is ratting you out.

the trainer

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
You have no idea the science that online advertisers are using these days to track you. If you ever searched for a Wii or a shed on Google or looked at either online, advertisers KNOW that now.

There are some global advertisers that have massive databases that link via a super cookie in your browser and they know a ridiculous amount about you.

So, no. It ain't the NSA, it's online marketers at their info that is ratting you out.

If that is the case then I bet you get a lot of offers in your email on penile enlargement.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Yep, we integrate a lot of these data points into our clients databases.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
The NSA hires private data firms to manage the information and pay them with our tax dollars.  The information can then be delivered to the highest bidders AND can be sold many times over. 

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »
rofl. No, people aren't using your phone conversations to serve you ads.

Your behavior online is what dictates the ads you are served. If you see an item you like (for me, let's say its a skirt on GAP.com), your computer will get cookied, and you'll get served retargeting ads. This means the advertiser knows you want the item since you visited their website, and they serve you ads tempting you to purchase that item you browsed.

If you have certain interests, you'll be served ads based on those interests. If you visit getbig, bbing.com, and GNC, "the internet" will know that you have an interest in bodybuilding, and will serve you ads based on that interest.

Go here, and you'll see how Google categorizes you: https://www.google.com/settings/ads

My top three interests according to google are "Apparel," "Arts & Entertainment," and "Baked Goods."  :P

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
i searched for a specific item, now every time i go on a webpage, i have advertisements for the same product.
X

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
i searched for a specific item, now every time i go on a webpage, i have advertisements for the same product.

Thats how it works. Clear your cookies and search history and it should go away

Advertisers are even finding ways to tie your phone to your computer (to identify two devices as one person).

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 03:11:30 AM »
Go here, and you'll see how Google categorizes you: https://www.google.com/settings/ads

My top three interests according to google are "Apparel," "Arts & Entertainment," and "Baked Goods."  :P

Action movies
Fitness
Bodybuilding

True GetBigger.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 03:31:58 AM »

Never mind the NSA,… Direct Marketers….

Even before the internet and personal computers, Direct Marketers knew everything about you.

I knew a guy who sold used records and bootleg records at flea markets and by mail.  He specialized in special interest bootlegs of rock concerts, and alternate takes.  He bought mailing lists from companies containing people who were likely to be interested in his products.

These direct marketing companies knew everything about you.  They knew whether or not you owned firearms, what kind, and how many.  They knew if you had kids, how many, and their ages.  They knew what kind of car you have, what you watched on TV, what you like to eat, the clothes you wear, the movies you went to, your politics… They had over 20 different categories to classify people.
As I said, this was in the late 70’s/early 80’s.  The mind boggles what they know now.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
I didn't search online for sheds though.  That is the odd part. Like someone told HomeDepot that I was looking for one and they emailed me.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
To see what other marketing companies know about you

Exelate: http://exelate.com/privacy/opt-in-opt-out/

Also, BluKai has a lot of interesting info here: http://www.bluekai.com/registry/

Look especially under "What others know about you" for hundreds of pages of info.

the trainer

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »
I just got an email about women looking for men with huge cocks, how did NSA know that my dick is 8 inches.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
I just got an email about women looking for men with huge cocks, how did NSA know that my dick is 8 inches.

You poor man. Can women even feel you?

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
You poor man. Can women even feel you?

They can feel disappointment