Author Topic: NBC-sports network, farts in the face of Mr Olympia bodybuilding...wtf?  (Read 6744 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
NBC ( sports network), quietly walked away from showing the 50th Olympia a month after the event. Lots of hype and cheer along with a giddy optimism went thru the hardcore bodybuilding community when it was first announced that NBC-sn, would cover the event.
It was to be aired on sat 10/18 and 10/25 in the late afternoon. The first date came and went with no Olympia coverage and no statement from the NBC affiliate . The same thing happened this past Saturday, the 25th.

So why did they quietly walk away and fart in face of Mr Olympia BB?
Was it the extreme , obvious steroid use, all too common in modern Untested bodybuilding?
Was it disorganization of the IFBB and it's ad sponsors?
??????????????????????????????????????

MikMaq

Re: NBC-sports network, farts in the face of Mr Olympia bodybuilding...wtf?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:31:31 AM »
Why on earth would a major network like NBC, walk away from a sport known for its, narcissism, drug use, and prevalence of male prostitution.

Like I swear some of you, really are delusional.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:31:51 AM »
rami's gut from the side view of the bdb was the nail in the coffin

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:59 AM »
Bodybuilding shows are boring.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:25 AM »
Haters

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »
Bodybuilding shows are boring.

The current "circus format" used for contests  can be long, tedious and boring.
They have an endless parade of bikini clad butt sluts , male models in surf shorts followed by a few freaks posing and begging applause.
 There isn't any transparent or objective scoring and it lacks enforced rules and standards.

If other sports had the same lack of rules it would be chaos on the playing field.
NFL football players would be able to dress like the road warriors with spikes on the helmet and gloves.
They would run down on the kick off swinging chains .  :o

I suspect the suits at NBC sports imagined Mr Olympia bodybuilding would be like the Arnold days with better production.
They took one good look at the juiced up freak show circus and walked away shaking their heads.
Sadly for bodybuilding they may have shelved the production for good  and felt like they dodged a bullet.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:15:53 AM »
The current "circus format" used for contests  can be long, tedious and boring.
They have an endless parade of bikini clad butt sluts , male models in surf short followed by a few freaks posing and begging applause.
 There isn't any transparent or objective scoring and it lacks enforced rules and standards.

If other sports had the same lack of rules it would be chaos on the playing field.
NFL football players would be able to dress like the road warriors with spikes on the helmet and gloves.
They would run down on the kick off swinging chains .  :o

I suspect the suits at NBC sports imagined Mr Olympia bodybuilding would be like the Arnold days with better production.
They took one good look at the juiced up freak show circus and walked away shaking their heads.
Sadly for bodybuilding they may have shelved the production for good  and felt like they dodged a bullet.

No, its the bodybuilers that are boring.
The other classes are new and interesting.
No one wants to see a bloated mess walking around the stage pumping his fist and cupping his ear asking for applause.
When did you ever see Lee Labrada or Bob Paris ask for applause onstage?

Yanin

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:05 AM »
It is quite boring. Every guy look like the next and very homo erotic.. And frankly the only people that follow bb are noobs with shitty genetics..and have you ever been to a show? You just sit there for 3 hours waiting till someone you no pops out for 3 seconds

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »
Only should've aired until the mid 90's. Today, it's a joke.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
Why on earth would a major network like NBC, walk away from a sport known for its, narcissism, drug use, and prevalence of male prostitution.

Like I swear some of you, really are delusional.

I don't think they're walking away from the NFL

the trainer

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »
If we had guys like these in the olympia it would encourage NBC to cover it.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:15:35 AM »
I find it to be quite amusing.  The network realized what a disaster pro bbing is and was in fear of losing sponsors and saving face for the network.  Watching Kai Green's striated glutes was simply too much for the suits to handle.  haha
BBing will never be mainstream.  We're all fans to some degree and laugh at how ridiculous it is...how do you think the general public would perceive it?
N

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
Only should've aired until the mid 90's. Today, it's a joke.

It did. It's gone forever.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27:30 AM »
It is quite boring. Every guy look like the next and very homo erotic.. And frankly the only people that follow bb are noobs with shitty genetics..and have you ever been to a show? You just sit there for 3 hours waiting till someone you no pops out for 3 seconds

Have I ever been to a contest? LOL
I competed in over 40 shows .
I judged , promoted and just been a  fan of countless events over the years.

I actually  quit being an NPC judge when MPD started. I refused to judge it.
Today it's too many different divisions and a long way from pure bodybuilding of the glory days.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:46 AM »
The only shot Bodybuilding had going mainstream was With Vince McMahon and the WBF. All that went down the toilet with the Dr. George Zahorian trial. Vince distanced himself from Bodybuilding after that.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:05 AM »
No, its the bodybuilers that are boring.
The other classes are new and interesting.
No one wants to see a bloated mess walking around the stage pumping his fist and cupping his ear asking for applause.
When did you ever see Lee Labrada or Bob Paris ask for applause onstage?

There is some truth to that statement.
George Butler ( the director/producer) said he never would have made " Pumping Iron" if Arnold wasn't in it.
He knew Arnold had the charisma and personality to make bodybuilding seem cool and interesting to the avg person.

ARNOLD and the unique cast of characters in the 1970's at Venice Beach GOLD's gym were interesting people.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
I find it to be quite amusing.  The network realized what a disaster pro bbing is and was in fear of losing sponsors and saving face for the network.  Watching Kai Green's striated glutes was simply too much for the suits to handle.  haha
BBing will never be mainstream.  We're all fans to some degree and laugh at how ridiculous it is...how do you think the general public would perceive it?

This x 100.
Plus, some of people  inside actual BB are pretty eccentric.
Bob Chic is one of the few personable , normal acting people .
Sadly, few people in BB are like Bob Chic.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
So true. How many times have you had to defend your love of bodybuilding to the average person?

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
it's sick

that's why

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »
The current "circus format" used for contests  can be long, tedious and boring.
They have an endless parade of bikini clad butt sluts , male models in surf shorts followed by a few freaks posing and begging applause.

They would run down on the kick off swinging chains .  :o

Sadly for bodybuilding they may have shelved the production for good  and felt like they dodged a bullet.

After some thought....BUMP!! You nailed it.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
screw that I will never watch anything on nbc again,all the idiotic reality shows on tv and they finally have something worth watching and they are afraid to air it,bunch of pussies!

MikMaq

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
I don't think they're walking away from the NFL
No comparison buddy.

njanvi

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
screw that I will never watch anything on nbc again,all the idiotic reality shows on tv and they finally have something worth watching and they are afraid to air it,bunch of pussies!
BWAAAAAA 😄😄😄😄😄😄

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »
and what kind of ratings would showing this Mr Olympia bring to NBC?......get real

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 04:45:03 PM »

It's presentations like this that helped me to decide to switch from bodybuilding to powerlifting, frankly. Total embarrassment. Guy's dancing and twirling around like a raging bonfire of homosexuality. He makes the contest seem like a sideshow at some demented circus. Then you have guys like "Big Lenny". And Bostin Loyd. And Genova. And DLB. And ... and ...

Howard nails it perfectly in his second post in this thread. The mainstream wants NOTHING to do with bodybuilding because it's boring, lame, has too many watered-down and confusing sub-classifications, outrageous drug use/abuse, etc.

Not to mention the physiques are getting uglier and uglier with each passing year. When a guy like Branch Warren is placing top-10 at the Mr. O, it's a given the sport's in the shitter.  

The whole thing's a disaster.