Author Topic: Lindsey Graham 2016 presidential chances  (Read 3824 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Lindsey Graham 2016 presidential chances
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:31:47 AM »
Sen. Lindsey Graham’s possible 2016 presidential bid may have just gotten a bit more complicated.
An audio recording provided to CNN captured the South Carolina Republican joking at a private Charleston club that “white men who are in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.”

According to the CNN report Wednesday, Graham confirmed the veracity of the recordings. Graham was speaking to the Hibernian Society of Charleston, a charitable group with an all-male membership.

In the recording according to CNN, Graham is heard saying: “I’m trying to help you with your tax status. I’m sorry the government’s so f——- up. If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.”

Graham, a two-term Republican, is facing Brad Hutto in his bid for reelection. The Democratic state senator is not considered a major threat to unseat Graham, who fended off challenges from the right in the Republican primary.

“When behind the closed doors of a private club, Lindsey Graham let his true colors show,” Hutto said in a statement published on his campaign site. “He is only interested in his own ambitions and the best interests of the wealthy donors he hopes

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/sen-lindsey-graham-white-men-joke-112338.html#ixzz3HchbcERJ

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Lindsey Graham 2016 presidential chances
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:34:58 AM »
A

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:14 AM »
I have a better chance of becoming President than Lindsey Graham.  ::)  Coming from South Carolina he is like Palin: a big fish in a small pond.  He would never fly on the national stage... and being in the closet doesn't help.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »
 ::)  If he actually said that, it's a pretty dumb thing to say, but he was never running for president, or going to be a viable candidate. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
but he was never running for president, or going to be a viable candidate. 

You're probably right.  However, people keep saying he might jump into the race.  People like Lindsey Graham, for example.

“If I get through my general election, if nobody steps up in the presidential mix, if nobody’s out there talking — me and (John) McCain have been talking — I may just jump in to get to make these arguments,” the South Carolina Republican told The Weekly Standard.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/return-gop-hawks_808506.html?page=1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
::)  If he actually said that,

He admitted saying it.  He verified the CNN recording.  It's the kinda statement The Onion would write.  I mean seriously, a statement like this reeks of political satire.

If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.”

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »
please run!  if Santorum and Bachman don't we need a driver for the clown car.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
He admitted saying it.  He verified the CNN recording.  It's the kinda statement The Onion would write.  I mean seriously, a statement like this reeks of political satire.

If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.”

He may very well have admitted it, but you know I take nothing you say at face value. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
He may very well have admitted it, but you know I take nothing you say at face value. 

the link was posted above.  you can hear it in his own words.  hopefully you can take lindsey graham at his word.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
the link was posted above.  you can hear it in his own words.  hopefully you can take lindsey graham at his word.

And sure enough, I just read the article and turns out the man was joking.  Embellishing and outright lying is what you do.  

Lindsey Graham unfiltered: jokes about white men, Baptists
By Peter Hamby, CNN National Political Reporter
Thu October 30, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who is toying with the idea of a presidential bid, joked in a private gathering this month that "white men who are in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency," according to an audio recording of his comments provided to CNN.

In the meeting, the Republican also cracked wise about Baptists, saying "they're the ones who drink and don't admit it," a variation of a joke he sometimes tells in public.

Graham's folksy sense of humor and his shoot-from-the-hip style are part of his political appeal, and well-known to journalists and his colleagues in the Senate. But the behind-closed-doors remarks are a departure from the G-rated jokes he tells in public, and another reminder for politicians in the iPhone era that they are rarely far from a microphone, no matter how private the setting.

The audio snippets were provided to CNN on Wednesday by two separate South Carolina Democrats who received the recordings from a person using an anonymous Gmail address. Graham confirmed the recordings in an interview Wednesday with CNN.

The person didn't provide details on his background but told the Democrats that Graham was speaking to an "all-male club" in Charleston earlier this month, the Democrats said. Both of the Democrats wished to remain anonymous.

After CNN contacted his campaign, Graham said in the interview that he made the comments several weeks ago at a meeting of the Hibernian Society of Charleston, the Irish-Catholic charity organization that sometimes hosts big-name politicians for irreverent and frequently bawdy speeches.

Graham said the Hibernian Society encourages speakers "to be earthy, to make fun of yourself, to make fun of them. Then you say something serious and sit down. And if you talk over 20 minutes, they throw something at you."

In the recordings, Graham, who is favored in his race for re-election next Tuesday against Democrat Brad Hutto, appears to joke about the possible 2016 presidential bid he recently floated in an interview with the Weekly Standard.

"I'm trying to help you with your tax status," Graham says in the recording. "I'm sorry the government's so f---ed up. If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency." The crowd is then heard laughing.

In another clip, Graham asks, "We got any Presbyterians here? We got any Baptists? They're the ones that drink and don't admit it." Again, the crowd chuckles.
Contacted about the recording, Graham's campaign arranged for the senator to speak about the remarks by phone from South Carolina.

The Hibernian Society hosts an annual St. Patrick's Day banquet that, in the past, has been headlined by top political figures like Vice President Joe Biden and former Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I have never been to the Gridiron Dinner, but it's a little like that," Graham said.

His October visit to the society was a separate event, he said, but the spirit was the same.

"I hope this doesn't reflect poorly on the club," he said. "They are great guys."

Graham said he was making fun of the society's all-male membership, joking that they were the last such organization in existence after Augusta National Golf Club admitted women.

As for the Baptist riff, Graham said he regularly teases South Carolina audiences about their various religious denominations, before making a larger point about religious liberty in the United States and warning about the threat of radical Islam overseas.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/politics/lindsey-graham-private-club/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »
And sure enough, I just read the article and turns out the man was joking.  Embellishing and outright lying is what you do.  

Lindsey Graham unfiltered: jokes about white men, Baptists
By Peter Hamby, CNN National Political Reporter
Thu October 30, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who is toying with the idea of a presidential bid, joked in a private gathering this month that "white men who are in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency," according to an audio recording of his comments provided to CNN.

In the meeting, the Republican also cracked wise about Baptists, saying "they're the ones who drink and don't admit it," a variation of a joke he sometimes tells in public.

Graham's folksy sense of humor and his shoot-from-the-hip style are part of his political appeal, and well-known to journalists and his colleagues in the Senate. But the behind-closed-doors remarks are a departure from the G-rated jokes he tells in public, and another reminder for politicians in the iPhone era that they are rarely far from a microphone, no matter how private the setting.

The audio snippets were provided to CNN on Wednesday by two separate South Carolina Democrats who received the recordings from a person using an anonymous Gmail address. Graham confirmed the recordings in an interview Wednesday with CNN.

The person didn't provide details on his background but told the Democrats that Graham was speaking to an "all-male club" in Charleston earlier this month, the Democrats said. Both of the Democrats wished to remain anonymous.

After CNN contacted his campaign, Graham said in the interview that he made the comments several weeks ago at a meeting of the Hibernian Society of Charleston, the Irish-Catholic charity organization that sometimes hosts big-name politicians for irreverent and frequently bawdy speeches.

Graham said the Hibernian Society encourages speakers "to be earthy, to make fun of yourself, to make fun of them. Then you say something serious and sit down. And if you talk over 20 minutes, they throw something at you."

In the recordings, Graham, who is favored in his race for re-election next Tuesday against Democrat Brad Hutto, appears to joke about the possible 2016 presidential bid he recently floated in an interview with the Weekly Standard.

"I'm trying to help you with your tax status," Graham says in the recording. "I'm sorry the government's so f---ed up. If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency." The crowd is then heard laughing.

In another clip, Graham asks, "We got any Presbyterians here? We got any Baptists? They're the ones that drink and don't admit it." Again, the crowd chuckles.
Contacted about the recording, Graham's campaign arranged for the senator to speak about the remarks by phone from South Carolina.

The Hibernian Society hosts an annual St. Patrick's Day banquet that, in the past, has been headlined by top political figures like Vice President Joe Biden and former Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I have never been to the Gridiron Dinner, but it's a little like that," Graham said.

His October visit to the society was a separate event, he said, but the spirit was the same.

"I hope this doesn't reflect poorly on the club," he said. "They are great guys."

Graham said he was making fun of the society's all-male membership, joking that they were the last such organization in existence after Augusta National Golf Club admitted women.

As for the Baptist riff, Graham said he regularly teases South Carolina audiences about their various religious denominations, before making a larger point about religious liberty in the United States and warning about the threat of radical Islam overseas.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/politics/lindsey-graham-private-club/index.html

Yes, he told a pretty fcking tasteless 'joke'.

You might call it joking.  You probably thought romney was 'joking' about the 47% comment.  

Maybe if you want to be president, you don't 'joke' about helping a certain race/gender/socioeconomic while sitting in their exclusive club.  

Maybe obama could 'joke' about 'enslaving rich, white men' then taking some shots at certain religions.... and we'd all just laugh about it, right?  Would love to see obama say the same thing... methinks the "joke" woudln't be so funny to getbiggers.  

Sorry, this isn't a joke he's ever used in his decades of political service, he just happened to use it in an exclusive club lol.

I have to say, "he was just joking" is a hilarious defense for when a politician says the wrong thing.   Can we use it for all politicians now?   Love it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Yes, he told a pretty fcking tasteless 'joke'.

You might call it joking.  You probably thought romney was 'joking' about the 47% comment. 

Maybe if you want to be president, you don't 'joke' about helping a certain race/gender/socioeconomic while sitting in their exclusive club. 

Maybe obama could 'joke' about 'enslaving rich, white men' then taking some shots at certain religions.... and we'd all just laugh about it, right?  Would love to see obama say the same thing... methinks the "joke" woudln't be so funny to getbiggers.   

Sorry, this isn't a joke he's ever used in his decades of political service, he just happened to use it in an exclusive club lol.

I have to say, "he was just joking" is a hilarious defense for when a politician says the wrong thing.   Can we use it for all politicians now?   Love it.

Meltdown.  This does nothing to coverup your abject dishonesty.  You should have said, as CNN did in the title of the story, that the man was joking.  Dumb joke, but a joke nonetheless. 

Why are you so friggin dishonest? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »
Meltdown.  This does nothing to coverup your abject dishonesty.  You should have said, as CNN did in the title of the story, that the man was joking.  Dumb joke, but a joke nonetheless. 

Why are you so friggin dishonest? 

Ya can't excuse when a person says something that's garbage because "he was joking".

This is like Politics 101, ya know?   No sense debating it, really.  Politicians cannot use "I was just joking" to say they'll show preference to a certain gender, race, or income.   

There are PLENTY of times when Obama was "just joking" and he's held accountable for that shit - rightly so. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
Ya can't excuse when a person says something that's garbage because "he was joking".

This is like Politics 101, ya know?   No sense debating it, really.  Politicians cannot use "I was just joking" to say they'll show preference to a certain gender, race, or income.   

There are PLENTY of times when Obama was "just joking" and he's held accountable for that shit - rightly so. 

Ya can't excuse lying every dang day.  It's congenital. 

This is like integrity 101, ya know?  Tell the truth.  It's not that hard. 

Obama has been held accountable?  Bwahahahahaha!  Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
Ya can't excuse lying every dang day.  It's congenital.  

This is like integrity 101, ya know?  Tell the truth.  It's not that hard.  

Obama has been held accountable?  Bwahahahahaha!  Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day.   :)

no no no, you can't make this about me and obama or anyone else.

One cannot just excuse anything racist, sexist, offensive, etc because "he was just joking".   Doesn't work that way.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:57 PM »
no no no, you can't make this about me and obama or anyone else.

One cannot just excuse anything racist, sexist, offensive, etc because "he was just joking".   Doesn't work that way.  

No, you cannot deflect attention away from the fact that you lie and embellish every dang day on this board, and you posted a very misleading story.  And that whenever I pay attention and feel compelled to do so, I point out your lies and embellishments.  I am the truth patrol.   :)

And claiming Obama has been held accountable is laugh out loud funny, even for the board's biggest Obama cheerleader (you).  

Regarding Graham, it's highly likely nobody will be talking about this tomorrow, except for low information voters.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
Sen. Lindsey Graham’s possible 2016 presidential bid may have just gotten a bit more complicated.
An audio recording provided to CNN captured the South Carolina Republican joking at a private Charleston club that “white men who are in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency.”