Author Topic: Landrieu on Obama: South Not Always 'Friendliest Place for African-Americans'  (Read 4498 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Campaign in the toilet?  Defeat looming?  Cannot address the merits?  Just play the race card.   ::)

Landrieu on Obama: South Not Always 'Friendliest Place for African-Americans'
BY CHUCK TODD AND CARRIE DANN

Louisiana Democrat Sen. Mary Landrieu said Thursday that the issue of race is a major reason that President Barack Obama has struggled politically in Southern states.

“I'll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans,” Landrieu told NBC News in an interview. “It's been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader."

Noting that the South is “more of a conservative place,” she added that women have also faced challenges in “presenting ourselves.”

The comment prompted a fiery response from Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal, who called it "remarkably divisive."

"She appears to be living in a different century," he said in a statement. "Implied in her comments is the clear suggestion that President Obama and his policies are unpopular in Louisiana because of his ethnicity. That is a major insult by Senator Landrieu to the people of Louisiana and I flatly reject it."

Landrieu, who is locked in a close election against two Republicans, said that Obama has faced opposition for policy reasons too, noting that Louisianans believe his moratorium on offshore drilling hurt the state's economy.

"One of the reasons that the president's so unpopular is because he put the moratorium on off-shore drilling. remember? After Macondo. And our state was furious about that. Now he could have shut down the BP operations but he didn't, he shut down the whole Gulf," she said. "When you shut down the whole gulf of Mexico it puts a lot of people here at risk and out of business. That's number one."

And she noted that the Democratic Party is different state to state, saying: "The Democratic Party is not the same thing in New York as it is in Louisiana. You know what's also interesting? The Republican Party is not the same thing in California as it is in Utah."

Landrieu said that while the ideological environment of the country may have changed, her philosophy has not.

“Right now the country is very polarized and it's because we've got FOX on one side and MSNBC on the other and people just fighting for the center,” she said. “But I've been in the center. I've never moved.”

But she did modify a previous statement about whether or not she would support Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for re-election, saying that she now wants to wait to see who competes for the job with him.

“Three months ago I said that I would vote for Harry Reid again. I'm telling you today, that I'm gonna see who is going to run,” she said. “I have no idea. And then I'm going to make my mind up based on who's the best for Louisiana.”

Here's a full transcript of the exchange about Obama and his race.

TODD: Why does President Obama have a hard time in Louisiana?

LANDRIEU: One of the main reasons is because his energy policies are really different than ours. I mean, we're a pro-production state. We wanna drill almost anywhere. People believe that it's an opportunity for Americans to become energy self-sufficient.

TODD: But if the Democratic party isn't there, you say President Obama, Harry Reid isn't there. He's not there is he?

LANDRIEU: I've worked with four majority leaders. I"ve worked with Trent Lott, I've worked with Bill Frist, and I've gotten along with everybody and tried to get the job done for the state of Louisiana.

One of the reasons that the president's so unpopular is because HE put the moratorium on off-shore drilling. remember? After Macondo. And our state was furious about that. Now he could have shut down the BP operations but he didn't, he shut down the whole Gulf. When you shut down the whole gulf of Mexico it puts a lot of people here at risk and out of business. That's number one.

I'll be very very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Tmericans. It's been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader. It''s not always been a good place for women to present ourselves. It's more of a conservative place. So we've had to work a little bit harder on that, but you know, the people trust me, I believe. Really they do. Trust me to do the right thing for the state.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-voters/landrieu-obama-south-not-always-friendliest-place-african-americans-n237826

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Campaign in the toilet?  Defeat looming?  Cannot address the merits?  Just play the race card.   ::)

Idiots will be idiots.

Idiots wouldnt get any traction if other idiots didn't repeat his message.  The media (NBC in this case) and anyone who repeats this insanely stupid thought from Landrieu are helping his get his message out. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Idiots will be idiots.

Idiots wouldnt get any traction if other idiots didn't repeat his message.  The media (NBC in this case) and anyone who repeats this insanely stupid thought from Landrieu are helping his get his message out. 

I think idiots mine Democratic Underground and the Daily Kos for anti-conservative stories and post them here, while also pretending to be conservative when they are actually a flaming liberal.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
I think idiots mine Democratic Underground and the Daily Kos for anti-conservative stories and post them here, while also pretending to be conservative when they are actually a flaming liberal.

Ouch!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Pathetic.   Good bye you witch and take skellcare w you

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
Idiots will be idiots.

Landrieu is a broad. And an ugly one at that.
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
She is correct.....obvious
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

I am a nyc dago wop.  I hate obama too probably even more than the gophers.  F him worthless poa

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

She is obviously wrong.  It has "been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader," because he's a lousy leader.  He couldn't work with Congress.  Democrats accused him of disengaging.  He never admitted mistakes.  His administration is corrupt.  He almost single-handedly destabilized the Middle East.  He doesn't the respect of the military.  He tried to censor and intimidate the press.  He further polarized D.C.  But people think he's a poor leader because of his race.   ::) 

And how on earth do conservatives make the South "not a good place for women to present" themselves?   

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Then how did she ever become a Senator? How could Louisiana elect Jindal?

She is wrong....obvious.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
She is obviously wrong.  It has "been a difficult time for the president to present himself in a very positive light as a leader," because he's a lousy leader.  He couldn't work with Congress.  Democrats accused him of disengaging.  He never admitted mistakes.  His administration is corrupt.  He almost single-handedly destabilized the Middle East.  He doesn't the respect of the military.  He tried to censor and intimidate the press.  He further polarized D.C.  But people think he's a poor leader because of his race.   ::) 

And how on earth do conservatives make the South "not a good place for women to present" themselves?   

...and he almost single-handedly did this how? Was it when he launched an invasion into Iraq in 2003?
Or was it when he landed on that aircraft carrier and unfurled that banner "Mission Accomplished?"   ::)   ::)
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV

Reading comprehension fail:  She said "It's not always been a good place for women to present ourselves." 

Your question seems to be asking about NOW and her statement seems to be about the PAST. 

Ya follow?

T-REX007

• Getbig III
A lot of people seem to forget it was "WHITEY" that FREED all the afro-americans, WHITEY fought a civil war over states rights/ slavery issue, 600 k plus white people died, WHITEY enacted affirmative programs, welfare, WHITEY ALLOWED the civil rights movement to take place, ANYTHING that afro-americans have was simply and ultimately ALLOWED AND CREATED by WHITEY, simple as that, bedrock truth, if WHITEY wanted it, slavery would be legal and all the horrors associated with it

Slavery was not invented by the white man, like everything in the world pretty much, whitey just improved the process, made it more efficient etc.... it was HORRIBLE, on par with the holocaust no doubt .... but give whitey a frickin' break, and credit where credit is due

Sharpton and Jesse and a slew of others ought to be kissin' whitey's a -  - 

FACT !

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
...and he almost single-handedly did this how? Was it when he launched an invasion into Iraq in 2003?
Or was it when he landed on that aircraft carrier and unfurled that banner "Mission Accomplished?"   ::)   ::)

By sabotaging the SOFA in Iraq, resulting in the removal of all our troops and failing to combat terrorists in Syria.  If he had kept a division in Iraq, ISIS wouldn't be running all over the country and making gains in Syria.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Reading comprehension fail:  She said "It's not always been a good place for women to present ourselves." 

Your question seems to be asking about NOW and her statement seems to be about the PAST. 

Ya follow?

Yes, you are actually dumber than I thought.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Alex Wagner OK With Racial Fear Tactics—If That's What It Takes for Dems to Win
By Mark Finkelstein | October 30, 2014

Could this be the most cynical statement of the campaign season?  The woman whose recent wedding President Obama attended is okay with stoking the racial fears of black Americans—if that's what it takes to drive them to the polls and secure Dem victories. Alex Wagner devoted a segment of her MSNBC show today to the naked appeals to the racial fears of black Americans that Democrats are making in campaign ads.  Wagner discussed Dem ads that seek to stoke black fear toward Republicans by invoking Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown.

You might think Wagner would have condemned these ugly tactics, explicitly aimed at driving Americans apart based on their race.  Think again. To the contrary, Wagner concluded the segment by saying that it shouldn't have to be the kind of threats contained in these ads that get people to vote, "but if it does, so much stronger the party is for it."

ALEX WAGNER: Democrats hoping to get minority voters to the polls have instead focused on race and racial bias. In North Carolina, Harry Reid's Senate Majority PAC ran this radio spot attacking GOP Senate candidate Tom Tillis.

AD: Tillis won't fight for us. Instead he made it harder for communities of color to vote, by restricting early voting and voter registration. Tillis even led the effort to pass the type of stand your ground laws that caused the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

WAGNER: In Georgia, state Democrats printed a flyer warning that the way to prevent "another Ferguson" is to vote. Arkansas residents meanwhile, received a mailer showing a man in a hands-up, don't shoot position made infamous in the wake of Michael Brown's killing. The mailer reads: "If we want to end senseless killings like Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, we need to vote . . . It's important to say that it shouldn't have to be the threat of undermining civil rights that gets people to vote, but if it does, so much stronger the party is for it.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2014/10/30/alex-wagner-ok-racial-fear-tactics%E2%80%94if-thats-what-it-takes-dems-win?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=marketing&utm_term=facebook&utm_campaign=msnbc-wagner#sthash.Q2WSd0Gl.dpuf

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Yes, you are actually dumber than I thought.   :-\

Deflect all ya want but it's clear that you're the one who's making the reading comprehension mistake here, lol.

I say this without ill will but what kind of man are you that you won't either explain why it's not a reading comprehension mistake on your part or just suck it up and admit that you made a small mistake?

You can do better, BB.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Deflect all ya want but it's clear that you're the one who's making the reading comprehension mistake here, lol.

I say this without ill will but what kind of man are you that you won't either explain why it's not a reading comprehension mistake on your part or just suck it up and admit that you made a small mistake?

You can do better, BB.

::)  Oh nos.  He questioned my manhood.  I better respond to this.   :o

1.  You have to not be a hack to understand that this woman was playing the race card and trying to say that it's hard for a woman to get equal treatment by conservatives, war on women, blah blah blah.  So, your first problem in understanding this is that you're a hack.  

2.  You have to be a critical thinker.  If you're looking for precise phrases, and discount the implication of someone's words because they don't use the exact words that you think they should, you're going to have a problem.  So, your second problem is you're a simpleton.  I don't know if you are a simpleton in real life.  You could actually be a smart person in real life.  But on the board?  You are Simpleton Simon.  

3.  The woman said "It's not always been a good place for women to present ourselves.  It's more of a conservative place."  Clearly, "more a conservative place" qualifies "it's not always been a good place for women."  Anyone paying attention to liberal talking points knows precisely what she was trying to say.  This wasn't some reference to the woman's suffrage movement.   ::)  She was talking about present day.  But like I said, if you're a hack and simpleton that might fly right over your head.      

That is way more than I wanted to say about this.  I was going to just insult you and move on, but since you challenged my manhood, and the internets is really serious business, I had to clear this up.   >:(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
::)  Oh nos.

LOL!  Oh Bae, you so cray.  such swag tho.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

Are You Black??  - No
Do You Live In The South - No

Shut the fuck up then....
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
screw race.  it's about money.   wealth = power.  

Lebron pwns every poor white boy at every bus stop in america.

Aliko Dangote is worth 22 billion and pwns the shit out of every white person south of the mason dixon worth under $5k.

Zimmerman doesn't get out of truck and chase down neil degrasse tyson.   Or Mike tyson, for that matter lol.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Are You Black??  - No
Do You Live In The South - No

Shut the fuck up then....

Are you a woman?  Do you know what it's like for a woman to live in Louisiana?  Do you live in Louisiana? 

I don't know the answer to any those questions, so I cannot tell you to shut up. 

In any event, everything I said is true. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Are you a woman?  Do you know what it's like for a woman to live in Louisiana?  Do you live in Louisiana? 

I don't know the answer to any those questions, so I cannot tell you to shut up. 

In any event, everything I said is true. 

Well . . . .  :D

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
true that.
live in Texas; it is that way.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
true that.
live in Texas; it is that way.
nope