Author Topic: Rand Paul: ‘The Republican Party brand sucks’ & "Broken Brand"  (Read 376 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Just days after saying that the Republican brand "sucks," Rand Paul went on three Sunday talk shows to double down on his criticism of the GOP. The things the (Republican) senator from Kentucky criticized his party for: "dumb" voter ID laws, a "broken" party brand, and a "wall" between it and African-Americans. These are messages, of course, that a party-line member of the GOP probably would not have transmitted just days before contentious midterm elections—elections through which Republicans could narrowly take the Senate.

On NBC's Meet the Press, Paul, who is not up for re-election this cycle, said the Republicans' fixation on voter ID laws is "dumb" because it alienates the very people the GOP has said it needs to attract: youth, minorities, and poor Americans. 

"It doesn't mean that I think it's unreasonable," Paul said of the laws that Republicans claim are necessary to prevent voter fraud. "I just think it's a dumb idea for Republicans to emphasize this and say, 'This is how we are going to win the elections.'"

Those comments echo ones he made in May. "Everybody's gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing," Paul warned in an interview with The New York Times. "I think it's wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it's offending people."

On CBS's Face the Nation on Sunday, Paul also criticized the GOP for failing to attract African-American voters. "Our brand is broken," said Paul. "I don’t think what we stand for is bad," he added. The problem is that "we have a wall, or a barrier, between us and African-American voters."

This was a gentler way of repeating what Paul said on Thursday, when he drew attention for saying the Republican Party brand "sucks"—particularly in its efforts to attract black voters. "It’s perception," Paul explained. "Republicans have to get beyond this perception that they don’t want African-Americans to vote."

Paul told CNN's Candy Crowley on Sunday that his strong statements weren't driven by a 2016 presidential run (although he said his position would help in that endeavor, should he enter the race). "I want the Republican party to be bigger and more successful because I think our philosophy will help the country more," he said.

For his part, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus attempted to soften Paul's recent comments, saying that he agreed with many of the senator's views, but that the party has made great strides since the beating Republicans took in 2012.

LOL @ Priebus pretending he agrees -
As Priebus said on ABC's This Week, "Rand Paul is saying what I've been saying, which is we have spent way too long as a national party showing up at the end, and we've got to do better."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Rand Paul: ‘The Republican Party brand sucks’ & "Broken Brand"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
Jack Welch to GOP: Run a real conservative in 2016

Republicans need to run a presidential candidate in 2016 like a Ted Cruz or a Rand Paul, not a Jeb Bush or a Chris Christie, management guru Jack Welch told CNBC on Monday.

Bush and Christie are "too middle of the road" to win the country, the conservative-leaning Welch said in a "Squawk Box" interview—a day before the 2014 midterm election in which Republicans hope to take control of the Senate.

Welch agreed with Cruz, saying that playing to the middle has been losing strategy as evidenced by the losing campaigns of Sen. John McCain and former Gov. Mitt Romney.

"You got to give up on New York. You got to give up on California. Those are gone," he said. "Screw New York. You're going to lose New York. Forget it. Go to the country, this wonderful country, and present your ideas with an optimistic view."

"Ronald Reagan was attacked for the same things Ted Cruz is being attacked for," Welch said. "I would love to see the Republicans run somebody that they stand for."

"We have to give a hard look to [Sens.] Rand Paul and Ted Cruz," the former General Electric chief continued. "I saw Ted Cruz on your show the other morning. I thought he was fabulous."

Last week, Cruz, a tea party favorite from Texas, told CNBC the only way the GOP can win the White House in 2016 is to run a strong, conservative candidate. Otherwise, he said, presumptive Democrat Hillary Clinton will win. Cruz has been mentioned in political circles as a possible Republican contender in 2016, though he did not address the issue during his "Squawk Box" appearance on Thursday.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
I don't really like Cruz that much, but maybe that's a good thing. Paul needs to be careful about the pandering.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
I don't really like Cruz that much, but maybe that's a good thing. Paul needs to be careful about the pandering.

paul has been 100% awesome, except for his shift to supporting amnesty.  Outside of that, the dude is great.  Hopefully he'll quietly slide back to Cruz on this issue.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »
Mrs. Cruz works pretty high up for Goldman Sachs - king of the corporatist bankster heap - so hard for me to get on that boat...

Rand seems too good to be true sometimes. I don't need the sales pitch. I know some do.