Author Topic: Rob Portman Is Considering Presidential Run  (Read 673 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Rob Portman Is Considering Presidential Run
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:13:23 AM »
Rob Portman is continuing to weigh a presidential run even as he leans toward running for reelection, he said in an interview on Friday afternoon.

The Ohio Republican senator doesn’t have a precise timeline for his decision, but with his party’s triumph on Tuesday behind him he said he’s finally got some time to think about whether to seek the presidency or commit 100 percent to running for reelection in the swing state of Ohio in 2016.

He’s currently “planning to run for reelection” but declined to rule out a run at the White House.

“I am going to take a look at the opportunity of the presidential race. But you know, right now, I’m excited about these results Tuesday night. I’ll be talking to family, talking to friends and some who’ve been encouraging me and analyze the situation. But I’m not planning at this point to change my approach, which is legislating,” Portman said in a telephone interview.

Several of his colleagues like Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky, Ted Cruz of Texas and Marco Rubio of Florida are also considered top 2016 contenders as is Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who was just reelected. Asked if the 2016 decisions of others would affect his decision-making, Portman said no.

“You decide, in my case, what’s in the interest of the country,” he said. “The question is: ‘What’s the most effective role that I can play?’”

Portman emerged as a deal-making Republican player over the past two years, helping hammer out a bill to extend expired unemployment benefits that passed the Senate, building a bipartisan energy efficiency bill with Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) that sputtered over procedural warfare and ultimately voting against the Senate’s immigration reform legislation after trying to receive a separate roll call vote on his amendment.
POLITICO

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Rob Portman Is Considering Presidential Run
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:52 AM »
Portman should stay in the Senate...the rising star in Ohio is Kasich.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:47:57 AM »
Scott Walker was pretty much every bodies darling post mid term election and some said he "came out the biggest winner" of the night.

We'll see if he makes a run. Midwestern Governor with a Presidential look, fairly conservative politically who has been able to win in a purple state and has that win against the unions underneath his belt.

Should be interesting going forward.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »
walker will do well with the base... but moderates, I think he's done too much damage to ever appeal to them. 

Cruz or Rand would have a MUCH easier walk to the presidency. 

I have never understood the mentality of "let's get the biggest uphill battle we can find, and go for it!"   Mitt was anti-gun, wrote framework for obamacare... and they pick HIM to try to fire up the base on voting day?   lol.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »
If you think Cruz or Paul would be viewed a s more moderate than Walker...I would have to question if you pay any attention at all to American politics.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
If you think Cruz or Paul would be viewed a s more moderate than Walker...I would have to question if you pay any attention at all to American politics.

I didn't say that.   I said they'll be more embraceable, less abrasive than Walker.   

Walker is like Christie in that he goes out of his way to impress his base by shitting on moderates/libs/unions, etc.   See, most repubs are smooth about shitting on unions... Walker holds up a sign that says "Look everyone, I'm shitting on Unions!"

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
OK..if you think Cruz would be seen as less abrasive than scott Walker you REALLY aren't paying attention.   

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
OK..if you think Cruz would be seen as less abrasive than scott Walker you REALLY aren't paying attention.   

X2

Cruz is like the ultimate boogeyman for the left