Author Topic: 13 year old Mike Tysons bench press  (Read 12665 times)

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
Re: 13 year old Mike Tysons bench press
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 10:50:34 PM »
Tyson was definitely a hype job.  He had incredible power with good hand speed but he wasn't some kind of technical master.  Plenty of fighters exceeded him in head movement and foot work.  I do wish he had fought David Tua, that would've been a good fight.  Btw Im not a gimmick.  I'm not sure whats going on on this site but I can assure you all Im just a new poster here.  I'm just here to shoot the breeze or whatever, not get into flame wars.  :)

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »
Tyson was definitely a hype job.  He had incredible power with good hand speed but he wasn't some kind of technical master.  Plenty of fighters exceeded him in head movement and foot work.  I do wish he had fought David Tua, that would've been a good fight.  Btw Im not a gimmick.  I'm not sure whats going on on this site but I can assure you all Im just a new poster here.  I'm just here to shoot the breeze or whatever, not get into flame wars.  :)

But he delivered hyped or not and he would destroyed you today still.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »

Tyson did not fight the same way after he fired Kevin Rooney. 

This. People don't really get that Tyson was not a mere brute. He was an atypical fighter for a HW. His height, reach, defense were different from every other HW of his era. Frazier was a bit similar. Once Rooney was out of the picture, Tyson's technique went downhill.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »
::) After 1989 he had to fight people like HOLY and LEWIS ! Those are the reasons he lost . I love the physiologists here talking about the 23 year olds desire ! lol . He stepped up and got knocked down ! End of the story and should have been the end of the MYTH ! Its amazing how effective HBO's TYSON highlite reals have been  ;)
Have to agree here... It's always the same with Tyson, the two magic words, D'Amato-Rooney, and lost desire/out of prime at 23yo, LOL... Cus D'Amato died in 1985, so before the fabled unbeatable peak of '86-'88, and Rooney was fired by Tyson himself around 1989... The truth is that he was spectacular and exciting at destroying bums, still some of them were able to take the distance, like Tillis and Green for example... Douglas dominated him left and right, except for that knockdown... Holyfield always had Tyson's numbers easily, from sparring back in the 80s, Lewis the same, although not a great fan of him, a tall rangy fighter with great jab and power was a nightmare for Tyson... Just my opinion...

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
I watched Mike Tyson fight live when it was happening.  I'm not some 15 year old kid talking shit about things he doesn't understand.  I'm not basing my opinions off of fucking youtube, I was there.

Tyson did not fight the same way after he fired Kevin Rooney.  The money, attention, and Robin Givens destroyed the fighter that he used to be.  He did not give a shit anymore.  He wasn't training properly because he had a bunch of Don King's goons in his corner.  When he fought Douglas, his corner didn't even have an icepack to stop his eye from swelling.  They filled a fucking condom with water and used that.  That's what he was surrounding himself with and that was 1990.  By the time Tyson fought Holyfield and Lewis he was a shell of his former self.  He no longer moved his head at all.  He walked straight in and was easy to hit.  He had been in prison for an extended period of time and was really only fighting to pay off the IRS and his ex-wife.  He fought Lewis in 2002 when he was 36 fucking years old.  He was fat and not even in shape. 

A 21 year old prime Mike Tyson and a 36 year old, fat Mike Tyson are not in the same universe as fighters.  That's just common sense.  If you don't understand that then you are a fucking idiot who doesn't know shit about boxing.  You are just another internet moron who thinks he's an expert on everything condescending people who disagree with you.  Fuck you.

He has been suffering from low self esteem and depression for all his life - when his mental support collapsed, he followed suit.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
This. People don't really get that Tyson was not a mere brute. He was an atypical fighter for a HW. His height, reach, defense were different from every other HW of his era. Frazier was a bit similar. Once Rooney was out of the picture, Tyson's technique went downhill.

This should be obvious to anyone that understands boxing in even a small way.  Once Rooney wasn't there, Tyson stopped movie his head and became easy to hit.  He also stopped throwing what they called punches in bunches, the combinations that he was previously famous for.  He was walking straight in and loading up for one big shot trying to knock people out with one punch.  He wasn't the same fighter and if certain people don't get that I don't know what to tell them.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:17 AM »
This should be obvious to anyone that understands boxing in even a small way.  Once Rooney wasn't there, Tyson stopped movie his head and became easy to hit.  He also stopped throwing what they called punches in bunches, the combinations that he was previously famous for.  He was walking straight in and loading up for one big shot trying to knock people out with one punch.  He wasn't the same fighter and if certain people don't get that I don't know what to tell them.

He was boxing flat-flooted after Rooney was gone. Before he was able to get very low. The fight against james Tillis was a good example of that. Same against an aging Holmes. He used his lack of height and reach to the best effect specially again tall opponents. I actually think that a prime Tyson would have been a nightmare for a prime Lennox Lewis. Holyfield would have been tougher for Tyson.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
Prime Tyson KOs Lewis in 2 rounds. Fuck sake this is the bloke who got starched by Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman who hit about 10% as hard as Tyson.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:10 PM »
Ali  benched over 500 lbs...Angelo Dundee was spotting him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a ridiculous claim. Ali would have been BURIED under 500 pounds.

This shit's gotta stop, I swear. 

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »

Tyson was a solid 185 pounds at 15 so I could see it happening then
but not at 13.
I'm with the one poster who suggested the prison guard was mistaken
about the actual weights being used.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
Tyson was a solid 185 pounds at 15 so I could see it happening then
but not at 13.
I'm with the one poster who suggested the prison guard was mistaken
about the actual weights being used.

Right there in that picture....that's Big Head Mike from Brownsville, Amboy Street.

Also, the great Cus D'Amato.

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
The couple fights (Green, Tillis, etc.) that  went the distance did so IMO cuz Thson fought too frequently so when he encountered a wise, older vetern, who was determined to run and then hold in close , he would take the decision since he was clearly winning almost every round. Not like he was getting dropped and barely surviving those fight, the scorecards show his dominance. Hell, Ali went the distance with quite a few "bums."

Tyson with Cus and Rooney was a machine who never had a chance to mature so we never saw how great he was. It causes me a question why people (mostly non-boxers BTW) always cite his lack of head movent after Cus and Rooney. Maybe it did decline, he seemed to be chasing the KO more with wide hooks and overhand rights, but it didn't disappear. And how could it just disappear?!? You think a dozen plus years training to move your head on a daily basis, with multiple pieces of equipment (mitts, shadow box, drills he is shown doing with Rooney, sparring, speed bag, bobbing & weaving under a rope, walking across floor moving side to side [as seen in his old teen training videos], and last but most important the slip bag [the little sand bag he used in all his training videos--a tool few gyms today even have!], etc.) and you change trainers and BOOM, more than a dozen years of 2 a day workouts for 10's of thousands of hours just evaporate your entire skill set in head movement?!? And if you still think that, why would top notch trainers later brought in, not revert back to the formula which made him so successful according to arm chair experts? He had Freddie Roach and Fenech training him among others and those two IMO are 2 of the best trainers not named Mayweather!

I grew up a Holmes fan (went to his gym, saw him train for Tyson fight actually) and later Holyfield (I loved technically sound boxers who always came to fight in shape, like B-hop now ;-) so I'm no Tyson fan flunkie. But last 5-6 years I've re-watched his fights and have a lot more appreciation for what he did. He is only man to KO Spinks and Holmes, think about that, like 100 fights between 2 ex heavyweight champions and both only ever KO'd by Tyson, and in his early 20's before he fully matured his style. Re-watching him now I see how effectively he uses his jab to close the distance and how he punches so hard and accurate with both hands , and his body assaults may be the best in the heavyweight division, ever...

To me his legacy is problematic due to losing a lot of his prime by serving time for a set up, drug use, and the emotional and financial wringer Givens, her mom and King put him through. These factors, I believe led to him fighting sporadically, and missing the opportunity to fight some names of that era that would have cemented his legacy:  Foreman, Morrison, Mercer, Bowe, etc. those fights should've happened, and now we will never know how great Iron Mike truly was...

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
His head movement "maybe" declined?  lol.  Have you ever watched his fights?

The reason people often site his lack of head movement is because it was so blatantly obvious.  If you don't move your head, you are easy to hit.  Very simple.  Day one stuff.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
Prime Tyson KOs Lewis in 2 rounds. Fuck sake this is the bloke who got starched by Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman who hit about 10% as hard as Tyson.

Agreed. And if you watch the fights Tyson had against the few guys who he didn't knock out in his prime ('86-89 or so), those fights weren't even close - those taller guys like Tucker, "Bonecrusher" Smith (oh brother...  ::)), and Green ran from him the whole fight.

Like others have said, he went to shit after firing Cayton and especially Rooney and getting mixed up with Givens, King, and all the other leeches. He was one of the best ever from '86-89, but was a washed-up basket case by 1990.

He was feeble minded and mentally fragile - basically his own worst enemy. Had he stuck with those who brought him to the dance, he would have likely retired undefeated at 30 or so (before he went downhill physically) and been financially set for life.
A

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Agreed. And if you watch the fights Tyson had against the few guys who he didn't knock out in his prime ('86-89 or so), those fights weren't even close - those taller guys like Tucker, "Bonecrusher" Smith (oh brother...  ::)), and Green ran from him the whole fight.

Like others have said, he went to shit after firing Cayton and especially Rooney and getting mixed up with Givens, King, and all the other leeches. He was one of the best ever from '86-89, but was a washed-up basket case by 1990.

He was feeble minded and mentally fragile - basically his own worst enemy. Had he stuck with those who brought him to the dance, he would have likely retired undefeated at 30 or so (before he went downhill physically) and been financially set for life.

::)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Tyson fought everyone the heavyweight division had to offer, it's not like he was ducking anyone.  Yeah he mostly fought tomato cans, but he absolutely dominated them--something that shouldn't get overlooked. 

Is he the greatest of all time?  Of course not, but he was pretty damn good and even more interesting to watch.