Author Topic: Why is there not a professional bodybuilding season?  (Read 1809 times)

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
Why is there not a professional bodybuilding season?
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »
The IFBB doesn't implement a bodybuilding "season".  Starting in say September and running through March for example.  Like 2 shows a month and based on a point system.  Wouldn't this be better instead of having scattered shows and then the olympia?  If it ran 6 months, it would give guys 6 months off to bulk or whatever.  Anyone else think this would work?  Might increase interest on the sport.  Then each year, they could have a series of shows around the world that people could win or place high enough to get into the league.  I understand this would force guys to stay in shape year round, but we all know arnold and company did it! Thoughts?

falco

• Getbig V
Re: How come..
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:33:55 AM »
Modern bodybuilding is so unhealthy contender have to detox for a whole year.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »
Great idea if you want to kill half of the pros out there.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:48 AM »
Competitors would no doubt have to sacrifice some size to stay in shape.  But maybe it would actually end up being healthier for them in the long run.  I don't think the size game needs to go away, but I think it should be scaled back somewhat.  And there definitely needs to be mark downs for distended guts.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »
Competitors would no doubt have to sacrifice some size to stay in shape.  But maybe it would actually end up being healthier for them in the long run.  I don't think the size game needs to go away, but I think it should be scaled back somewhat.  And there definitely needs to be mark downs for distended guts.

I think they need to do something to revitalise the 'sport'. Phil definitely got a 'gift' at the Olympia and it is all getting very stale and predictable.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
The IFBB doesn't implement a bodybuilding "season".  Starting in say September and running through March for example.  Like 2 shows a month and based on a point system.  Wouldn't this be better instead of having scattered shows and then the olympia?  If it ran 6 months, it would give guys 6 months off to bulk or whatever.  Anyone else think this would work?  Might increase interest on the sport.  Then each year, they could have a series of shows around the world that people could win or place high enough to get into the league.  I understand this would force guys to stay in shape year round, but we all know arnold and company did it! Thoughts?

Probably the same reason your mother takes on one stud at a time, recovery times and travel costs.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
I suppose I could understand travel costs but in a 6 month period there could be 12 shows. With probably half in the US.  And as far as recovery goes, why were Franco Columbia and Robby Robinson and frank Zane able to stay in shape for months on in?

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:31:04 AM »

Healthier??? Ripped on high dose for six month and then what??? Relax 6 month and enter the firts competition looking like shit. They need atleast 4 month of preparation to get in shape, witch mean they can be off 2 month...

Stupid idea!

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »
Healthier??? Ripped on high dose for six month and then what??? Relax 6 month and enter the firts competition looking like shit. They need atleast 4 month of preparation to get in shape, witch mean they can be off 2 month...

Stupid idea!

I certainly agree with you that the current regimine that most pros have would be disastrous if they were to do 6 months all out.  But I think if the physiques were forced to change a bit(ie a little less ripped and just a bit smaller), it would garner the interest of the general public a lot more.  Take dexter Jackson for example.  He carries a little less siz than other guys but seems to always be in shape and has a solid physique.  I just always thought of bodybuilding as a sport where a guy could show his physique anytime anywhere. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »
I suppose I could understand travel costs but in a 6 month period there could be 12 shows. With probably half in the US.  And as far as recovery goes, why were Franco Columbia and Robby Robinson and frank Zane able to stay in shape for months on in?

Zane, Franco and Arnold got small off season. I guess they went clean. Many of the big stars from the 70's did. The only one that was always in decent shape month in and month out for decades was Robby.  He said he competed without steroids until he came to California. If that's true he's a freak. He's still in shape now even though he's way smaller than he use to be.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Why is there not a professional bodybuilding season?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
The IFBB doesn't implement a bodybuilding "season".  Starting in say September and running through March for example.  Like 2 shows a month and based on a point system.  Wouldn't this be better instead of having scattered shows and then the olympia?  If it ran 6 months, it would give guys 6 months off to bulk or whatever.  Anyone else think this would work?  Might increase interest on the sport.  Then each year, they could have a series of shows around the world that people could win or place high enough to get into the league.  I understand this would force guys to stay in shape year round, but we all know arnold and company did it! Thoughts?

I don't follow the sport as closely as I used to but there was a bodybuilding season in the 80-'s and 90's.....it started in February with the IRONMAN and ran until October...the Olympia used to be the third week in Oct....then the Grand Prix's would run for about two weeks where there was about 5 contests in a two week span...then bodybuilding would shut down for Nov, Dec, and Jan

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
somthing like this http://musclemania.com/need-diet/

Yes! Im with u!

They need to dropp 30 pound bodyweight then they can have bodies in shape all year round I think...1 week diet for a competition, cut the carbs and salt...

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »
somthing like this http://musclemania.com/need-diet/

Yes! Im with u!

They need to dropp 30 pound bodyweight then they can have bodies in shape all year round I think...1 week diet for a competition, cut the carbs and salt...

Yes!  That guy looks well conditioned and due to the good symmetry he doesn't need to play the size game.  6'1 230 is definitely heavy enough IMO.  I just think that the whole regimine that jay cutler went through just to do 1 show a year turned a lot of younger guys away.  Personally I strive to achieve a body I can maintain indefinitely.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »
too busy of schmoing

BigNJ

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »

I see your point however,

1- Bodybuilding will never be a sport, it's a freak show

2- TV networks don't give a rats ass about bodybuilding, they care about ratings

3- All people see in bodybuilders is mental illness, low IQ, and drug use

Had it not been for supplement companies, bodybuilding would long be gone.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:38 AM »
I see your point however,

1- Bodybuilding will never be a sport, it's a freak show

2- TV networks don't give a rats ass about bodybuilding, they care about ratings

3- All people see in bodybuilders is mental illness, low IQ, and drug use

Had it not been for supplement companies, bodybuilding would long be gone.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »

The 'size in the wrong places game' should be scaled back. Like the stomachs and legs.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
BB is a lifestyle.....it's 24/7/365.....there are no seasons.....it just is

jjbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Vince McMahon tried this idea.  It is impossible to get in shape for several shows in a season.  The route bodybuilding has choosen ... there might not be any shows in matter of a decade.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
Arnold didn't stay in shape year round. Once he won a few shows in the USA he cleaned out and was small all year. Then he juiced up and trained up to shows.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
the general consensus is that even golden era guys couldn't keep their shape year round...but my idea is for a 6 month season not year round.  Surely guys on minimal/moderate gear could keep shape for 6 months, right?  If not id love to see someone post a pic of a RESPECTABLE physique that is maintainable year round.