Author Topic: Wrestling books review  (Read 6310 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Wrestling books review
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
Just came off a two week vacation to celebrate my birthday and caught up reading some of the books I had ripped for my iPad a while back.  Quick review :

Gary Michael Cappetta - Bodyslams! & Beyond.
Good read from an "outsider" point of view.  Went into details regard the Sid/Arn blood bath that occurred directly next to his room.  Talked about a lot of out of control antics aboard flights, how PN News was a major crybaby, Curtis Hughes was a degenerate drug addict that could not stop farting nonstop, and other stuff.  A 3 out of 5 star read.

Eric Bischoff - Controversy Creates Cash
Now this was good.  However, if you are going to read it I would suggest first reading The Death Of WCW (4 out of 5 stars) to get a better in depth overview and refresh your memory of many of the angles/matches/results that took place during this time.  I surprised that I actually enjoyed the book.  He spoke candidly about his view of Lex Luger (not good and he offered him 20% of what his original WCW contract was when he jumped ship from WWF in an effort to make him reject it), the way Russo screwed over Hogan and Hogan filed the real life lawsuit against him, Russo and his Crash TV style that destroyed everything around him, how disappointed he, Hogan and the rest of the boys were with Sting when after a year or so of not even wrestling and hiding in the rafters, Sting showed up for his match-of-the-century against Hogan so fat and out of shape.  He was so gassed he couldn't get his shoulder up in time to break the Hogan pinfall that ended the match.  (before restart)
4 out of 5 stars here too.  Honestly, my opinion of him changed a good bit after reading this.

I read a couple other books too, but not wrestling related.  Have Hogans book to start now.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Wrestling books review
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
Pure Dynamite remains my favorite.

Bobby Heenan's first book was very enjoyable.
Piper's book was too much kayfabe.
Both of Foley's autobio's are timeless.

I got Rock's & Chyna's for gifts about ten years ago. Have yet to red them.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Bret Hart's book is still my favorite wrestling biography I've read.  If you followed his era, he moves through the lists of matches and feuds, always giving what was, at the time, what I believe was his honest opinion.  Bret is still a bit of a mark for himself, but he knocks himself for his faults as well.  It's the only wrestling biography I've read more than once.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Bret Hart's book is still my favorite wrestling biography I've read.  If you followed his era, he moves through the lists of matches and feuds, always giving what was, at the time, what I believe was his honest opinion.  Bret is still a bit of a mark for himself, but he knocks himself for his faults as well.  It's the only wrestling biography I've read more than once.

To me, Bret's book read more like a "pity-party" for Bret.

I still enjoyed it for the historical accounts, which seemed very accurate.