Author Topic: Went to a crossfit gym today...  (Read 5360 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Went to a crossfit gym today...
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Ok, I stand corrected on the choice of plates.

$2500 - 3500 a year ? ???  :o
How do they even justify that price?

The ones in that range offer group classes a few times a week as part of it, but it's really just catering to the rich. There is a lot of  "oh, I go to such and suchs gym" posturing that goes on in that World.

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
Crossfit gyms my way go for about $120 a month for basic gym admission. Any private classes or small classes are extra cash beyond the monthly fee. They are making a killing and some people are getting in shape, others injured. Personally, I don't like the aura of crossfit. If theres a bunch of people in a room and you are trying to figure out who does crossfit, you won't have to ask, they'll tell you  :P Then you can listen o their WOD and crazy workouts called susan 1.0 and so on.Be careful, don't engage the crossfittian and let them know you lift, otherwise you'll have to hear about what crossfit can do for you  :D

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
i love crossfit, there is no longer a line to the leg extension machine

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
A friend of mine invited me over and I decided to at least give it a try. Saw a pregnant lady do jerks  :-\

Weightplates looked retarded, 10kg plates had the same size and width as 25kg plates.
Friendly people and  a very energetic environment, although you got that whole Jehovas witness feeling about the place.
The highlight was meeting a former national level competitor in weightlifting who helped me with my deadlift technique, pulled a 170kg which I haven't done in probably 2 years.

Though I heard the fee is something like €1k a year.  :o
They sure know how to profit on people.

accurate description. very.

Related...I saw a chick hurt herself in my gym today trying to do a clean and press. she cleaned one side, lost her balance...momentum took over and the bar smashed her knee pretty good.

She was attractive with pretty large breasts as well..so I helped.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 05:25:12 AM »
Most crossfit gyms in the US that I have seen use Rogue bumper plates. Some of the bars actually weigh 35lbs.

Their business model is incredible. Minimum cost on equipment and their membership is off the hook and growing. 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:52 AM »
Crossfitters should be deported to North Korea

Semi-Hex

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
i love crossfit, there is no longer a line to the leg extension machine

Same. New club up the street and now my place is quite a bit quieter.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
:-X

Dunno what's wrong with these

Perhaps they keep those black weird ones just to stick out from other gyms? ???

way more expensive.  have you seen what they charge for ONE of those 25 kg plates?  crazy.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
way more expensive.  have you seen what they charge for ONE of those 25 kg plates?  crazy.

Yes, they are expensive, but considering what these gyms charge per customer they can't blame it on bad finances.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Crossfit gyms my way go for about $120 a month for basic gym admission. Any private classes or small classes are extra cash beyond the monthly fee. They are making a killing and some people are getting in shape, others injured. Personally, I don't like the aura of crossfit. If theres a bunch of people in a room and you are trying to figure out who does crossfit, you won't have to ask, they'll tell you  :P Then you can listen o their WOD and crazy workouts called susan 1.0 and so on.Be careful, don't engage the crossfittian and let them know you lift, otherwise you'll have to hear about what crossfit can do for you  :D

Absurdly ridiculous.  I pay $150 a year.