Author Topic: anyone still feel the need to out do other guys at the gym?  (Read 5845 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
anyone still feel the need to out do other guys at the gym?
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »
ive been training over 4 decades now and u would think id be over all the dumb shit that comes along with bodybuilding training,sometimes ill walk into the gym and suppose to do back for instance, then ill see some dudes over by the dumbell rack using 110's or even 120's for flat chest presses. the weak and insecure part of me starts thinking about how i can go over there and out rep them and even go up to the 140's or 150's for good clean reps and show them up.then i catch myself and realize that first off,im an old man,secondly ive been in the game along time and should no better than to do some dumb shit like this and risk injury.maybe some of u guys might not do the weights to show up someone but might use your superior body's to blow them away,u know like if u see a dude checking out his arms in the mirror getting alittle attention u walk over there and BAM,hit your arm shot and totally rain on that dudes parade. even tho some of us r very seasoned lifters and stuff do u guys ever find yourselves struggling with beginner mentallity stuff like i just mentioned?
R

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: anyone still feel the need to out do other guys at the gym?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:49 AM »
If I looked better than anybody, I would be tempted, I have to admit. It would be awesome to shrivel some twink in a mirror, hahaha!

Seriously, I work out at home, so this isn't an issue.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »
no because i know i would lose

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:03 AM »
If I looked better than anybody, I would be tempted, I have to admit. It would be awesome to shrivel some twink in a mirror, hahaha!

it is fun, but with great power comes great responsibility, like Spider-man said.

You should only do it the the hubris filled dickheads peacocking around,.  Normal dudes busting their ass are to be respected

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:40 AM »
I actually like using less weights and looking better than perma bulkers doing 6 reps. I take pride in looking way better and using light weights to do so

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »
I work out at home but my chihuahua is thoroughly impressed ;)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
I actually like using less weights and looking better than perma bulkers doing 6 reps. I take pride in looking way better and using light weights to do so

This....nothing better than benching 185 real slow & controlled, acting like it's 400 pounds, and looking lean n mean.  Meanwhile the fatso next to you with 365 on the bar is looking at you like "WTF?"

Gracie BJJ, you're a good dude but you should be past all that stuff at your age.  Lifting weights is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme, who cares if some juicehead lifts more than you.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:21:57 AM »
Fuel for the competitive drive/insecurity complex => can only make you stronger (and/or injured) 8)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »
 ::)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:13 AM »
This....nothing better than benching 185 real slow & controlled, acting like it's 400 pounds, and looking lean n mean.  Meanwhile the fatso next to you with 365 on the bar is looking at you like "WTF?"

Gracie BJJ, you're a good dude but you should be past all that stuff at your age.  Lifting weights is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme, who cares if some juicehead lifts more than you.

trust me man i never do it but i get tempted,reason i dont do it is cause i dont look that good no more so i cant do it.secondly if i try to lift heavy and play strong guy ill get injured,i just think about it sometimes,like if i looked like bob paris in the 80,s it must be a great feeling to be like that great. im trying to get lean these days and i guess im going thru a mid life bodybuilding crisis to be honest, im struggling with the aging issue and im not handling the fact ium gonna b 50 in a few months,very hard on me
R

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:57 AM »
I stopped ego training 25 years ago.  The potential for injury is too high.  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
trust me man i never do it but i get tempted,reason i dont do it is cause i dont look that good no more so i cant do it.secondly if i try to lift heavy and play strong guy ill get injured,i just think about it sometimes,like if i looked like bob paris in the 80,s it must be a great feeling to be like that great. im trying to get lean these days and i guess im going thru a mid life bodybuilding crisis to be honest, im struggling with the aging issue and im not handling the fact ium gonna b 50 in a few months,very hard on me

I hear ya dude.

It's funny though, we might envy Bob Paris for his physique in the 80s, but I get the impression he'd rather never have gone down that road at all.  The grass is always greener  :-\

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:59 AM »
I hear ya dude.

It's funny though, we might envy Bob Paris for his physique in the 80s, but I get the impression he'd rather never have gone down that road at all.  The grass is always greener  :-\
bob paris was a great bber......it was something he will be remembered for......I am sure he has moved on to other things.....but I am sure he is proud to have been one of the very best at his craft.....he has turned the page but I am sure he would do it all over again.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
I hear ya dude.

Im always supportve and encouraging of the people I talk to who are alright.

Friday just gone I had the gym to myself, headphones on, head down and just getting on with it. When some skinny knob who stank of insecurity came in with his mate. 1 inch dips, 1 inch pull ups,  lots of posing in between. Then when he moved onto weights every plate he changes he drops, all I can hear over my music is fucking grunting and clattering.

I played with the idea of getting my top off when he starts hitting his poses and throwing a few out or switching to what he was training. I would have got a silly kick out of it then just thought what's the fucking point, it won't stop him being a knob.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
I struggle with this. It does seem the majority of good bodybuilders I have seen in the gyms through the years used moderate weight. I'm not saying they are not training hard but they are exhausting them self through volume sets, good form and little rest between sets.

So many guys pushing the heavy iron are using a cheat ego short range of motion most of the time and then sitting around resting too long between sets. Many of the heavy weight users look like crap too.  

One of the most ripped up chests I have ever seen was a guy who did push ups and flat flies with 45lbs.  Another guy's back was amazing and he did his deadlifts with 225lbs for around 5 sets of 12 reps. He was a spent mess after those deadlifts with short rests between sets.

If intensity concerning weight used is the magic bullet to gains wouldn't it be most conducive to use sets of one single rep after warm up? Maybe 4 sets of 1 rep? Of course we know that is not the case but that is the most intense form of training you can do. So intensity isn't the magic bullet. It's training for muscular endurance.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Nope

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »
nah, not anymore....been there done that.  have already consistently outlifted virtually every regular gym rat juiced or not in the process.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
I'm quite competitive on exercise's that I'm good at. Less so in the ones I'm not (which is most of them :D).

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »
i just think all of us by nature have that competitive side in us that wants to be better than the next guy, like the above people said though its important not to let it get the better of u and hurt u instead of helping u. lets face it all of us want to be known for something,whether it b bodybuilding or making money its all the same.anyone who says they would rather b some average guy instead of a famous person is full of shit,speaking for myself id love to live the life arnold did,he pretty much did it all and seen it all,thats what i call living the dream. deep down we all would love to be the best at what ever we did
R

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »

This is nice because you are the strongest man in your gym.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »
ive been training over 4 decades now and u would think id be over all the dumb shit that comes along with bodybuilding training,sometimes ill walk into the gym and suppose to do back for instance, then ill see some dudes over by the dumbell rack using 110's or even 120's for flat chest presses. the weak and insecure part of me starts thinking about how i can go over there and out rep them and even go up to the 140's or 150's for good clean reps and show them up.then i catch myself and realize that first off,im an old man,secondly ive been in the game along time and should no better than to do some dumb shit like this and risk injury.maybe some of u guys might not do the weights to show up someone but might use your superior body's to blow them away,u know like if u see a dude checking out his arms in the mirror getting alittle attention u walk over there and BAM,hit your arm shot and totally rain on that dudes parade. even tho some of us r very seasoned lifters and stuff do u guys ever find yourselves struggling with beginner mentallity stuff like i just mentioned?

No.  To be blunt: you need to grow up and stop being insecure.  If you had decent self-esteem what some other guy is lifting or not lifting in the gym would not be on your radar screen.  I happened to train at a gym, but take a hint from the guys who train at home:  focus on yourself.  If you are preoccupied with lifting heaving weights go take up power lifting or World’s Strongest Man.  Bodybuilding is not about lifting heavy weights.  You said it yourself: you are not yet over all the dumb shit.  You need to work on that.  Hint: such work does not take place inside a gym.  ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:33 AM »
I don't feel the need to do it, it just happens.
Y

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
I stopped ego training 25 years ago.  The potential for injury is too high.  

I'd like to know when the word "ego" became a bad thing.

The most successful, accomplished people in whatever endeavor they choose have huge egos.

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »
There can always be a little competition in the gym, i guess.
But ultimately i just go there for me.

Things change when you have an experienced workout partner and you are prepairing for something.
Then it can get very competitive at times and its all about getting the extra rep in and pushing each others limits.
There is a time to get competitive but impressing some people you hardly know is not the one.

Do i care what people think when im using lighter weights then the unknown person next to me?
Not at all, i couldn't care less.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:50 AM »
Only if I can still use proper form, otherwise forget it.