Author Topic: A new television?  (Read 70171 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
A new television?
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
Have you bought a new TV lately?  Boy, have things changed!  They are huge, smart, wireless--and have beautiful displays.  Of course, the nicer the more expensive.  As much as $24,999.99 for an 86" 4k Sony model?  Um, I'll pass. 

I want to treat myself to a new TV; my question: is anything better than a Sony?

http://store.sony.com/all-tvs/cat-27-catid-Sony-HD-TVs

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: A new television?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
I honestly wonder how much of a difference those 4K tvs make.

To me its like cell phones that keep getting skinnier. At some point the difference that you make from model to model is negligible so you get into diminishing returns in terms of price and what you get for it.

I have seen plenty of tvs for $600-$1000 that look awesome so I question what a tv for $3K and up gives you over one of those and if its worth the additional money.

A good friend of mine worked for best buy for years and told me the best way to shop for a tv is to go to a store and actually watch them and see which one you like.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:09:19 AM »
I have seen a lot of televisions in the last few days.  4k (or Ultra HDTVs) definitely have a sharper picture and you can really notice the difference when viewing a screen at 60" or bigger.  At 55 inches or smaller the difference is less stark and the price difference becomes much harder to justify.  I think a very decent TV can be had for $2000 or less.  I have seen them.  Yesterday, I unexpectedly came across a 60" TV for around $799 (Black Friday sales now start on Thursday afternoons).  I studied the picture, materials, and workmanship closely.  It was noticeably inferior to the Sony product I am considering.

Curved TVs and 3D seem to be the latest features.  The curved TVs I have seen certainly look good, but I have not yet heard a rationale for wanting one--especially at their premium prices.  I'll pass.  I think I'll grab the Sony.  I also plan to buy with a credit card that extends or doubles the manufacturer's warranty.  In the old days a bum TV could repaired.  Today if almost anything goes wrong with your TV you have to throw it away.  Times sure have changed.  :-\

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:28 AM »
In the old days a bum TV could repaired.  Today if almost anything goes wrong with your TV you have to throw it away.  Times sure have changed.  :-\
Very Large Scale Integrated circuitry.  Instead of wires and components, patterns of deposited chemicals on glass (silicon) crystals make up most of the device.  No real way to fix them.  You change out the “boxes” and send the old boxes off to be melted down and contents recovered.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »
Two days ago in a store, I was chatting with a customer who said he was shopping for a new TV because his previous one was three months out of warranty and died on him.  The manufacturer wouldn't do anything because it was post warranty. So there he was... pissed off and shopping for another TV.  This time, he said he was going to buy a Sony.  I suppose this same problem could happen with Sony as well.  The only guard against it seems to be a having a longer warranty.  :-\

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
I've had a Bravia 240 mhz TV for 4 years.  It's been excellent.  But Samsung always makes quality televisions.

4k is beautiful, but there's hardly any content whatsoever.  I've run into the same issue with my TV and the refresh rate - so far it's been unnecessary.

Yesterday I saw a 60 inch, 120 mhz, Samsung Smart TV for $700.  That's crazy cheap.  Sure you can nit pick that is has only 2 HDMI ports, etc....but there are crazy deals to be had right now.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
remember watching Black and white as a kid  ;D

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
I've had a Bravia 240 mhz TV for 4 years.  It's been excellent.  But Samsung always makes quality televisions.

4k is beautiful, but there's hardly any content whatsoever.  I've run into the same issue with my TV and the refresh rate - so far it's been unnecessary.

Yesterday I saw a 60 inch, 120 mhz, Samsung Smart TV for $700.  That's crazy cheap.  Sure you can nit pick that is has only 2 HDMI ports, etc....but there are crazy deals to be had right now.

Bam, end thread.   Content is nearly nonexistent for 4k.

remember watching Black and white as a kid  ;D

These young bucks have no idea what it was like.  Most television programming was reruns of old 60's and 70's shows.
A

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 05:13:22 AM »
remember watching Black and white as a kid  ;D

These young bucks have no idea what it was like.  Most television programming was reruns of old 60's and 70's shows.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
I have two Vizio's I bought in 2008 that are 1080i. Ones a 55 and one is a 47. Still work like new.. I'd love to buy a bigger 1080p but can't justify replacing a perfectly working TV. Damn you Vizio!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
I have two Vizio's I bought in 2008 that are 1080i. Ones a 55 and one is a 47. Still work like new.. I'd love to buy a bigger 1080p but can't justify replacing a perfectly working TV. Damn you Vizio!

Looked very briefly at Vizio, but I was not satisfied with the picture quality and the hardware looked and felt cheap to me.   :(

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
Looked very briefly at Vizio, but I was not satisfied with the picture quality and the hardware looked and felt cheap to me.   :(

Wouldn't doubt it. I bought them at Sams Club.. very cheap price at the time for the sizes.. Probably a lot more out there these days at similar price points. But as far as the picture quality, I see my brothers new TV picture compared to mine.. I can see the difference. I probably wouldn't go Vizio again

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »
I still have a nice SHARP LCD in my office.  everyone else has flatscreen.  I'm old school.  Power button doesnt even work lol, I have to use the remote.   I have some decent flat screens in other rooms.  mostly I just listen to TV anyway while working, never just sit and watch.   Can't sit still, adult ADHD and all lol.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »
How much would you pay for this box of commercials?  $1000?  $2000?  Buy now and we'll throw in nothing you want to watch and 10 ways to pay more for anything you do want to watch.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
How much would you pay for this box of commercials?  $1000?  $2000?  Buy now and we'll throw in nothing you want to watch and 10 ways to pay more for anything you do want to watch.

Netflix.  Problem solved!  8)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »
For 'net flicks you'd think you'd go to the 'net.  I know I do.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »

PC hooked to TV, doesn't everyone do that?

4k then means most people will also a new PC to really max it out, but it's worth it

I'm waiting for 4k OLED next year before I upgrade from plasma , hopefully they drop to $4kish by next summer

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 04:08:02 AM »

Then you are missing a lot.  The streaming service is a gratuity--not the substance.  It  has less than 20% of what I'd want to watch.  As has been discussed here many times the streaming library is very limited and subject to abrupt change.  That's not true of the DVD/Blu Ray service by mail--which has everything one would want to watch.  For more on the fortunes of Netflix see here http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=411599.0

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 04:27:56 AM »
Dammit Bay I'm trying to save you money!  Or spend it on a holiday instead.

With the internet I find I don't miss having a television at all.  The last time I watched TV on a regular basis The Sopranos was still airing so idk anything about Netflicks, Tevo, etc.  Not sure if that makes me a luddite or net-gen.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
Dammit Bay I'm trying to save you money!  Or spend it on a holiday instead.

With the internet I find I don't miss having a television at all.  The last time I watched TV on a regular basis The Sopranos was still airing so idk anything about Netflicks, Tevo, etc.  Not sure if that makes me a luddite or net-gen.

Broadcast television doesn't hold much interest for me (I have never seen an episode of the Sopranos); I do watch occasional news programs.  I primarily use my TV set to watch movies.  8)