Author Topic: Obama: I'll 'Make Sure We Never Resort to Those Methods Again'  (Read 6600 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Obama: I'll 'Make Sure We Never Resort to Those Methods Again'
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
The dem congress...making the world less safe for everybody.....lets look at this. Kick the shit out of bad guys - Repubs
Whine like bitches and release reports - Dems

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-ill-make-sure-we-never-resort-those-methods-again_821044.html

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-12-09/cia-torture-report-bush-was-kept-in-the-dark

President George W. Bush was never briefed by the Central Intelligence Agency on the details of harsh interrogation techniques and secret detention of terror suspects for the first four years of the controversial program, and when he did find out the details, he was “uncomfortable” with some of the practices, according to the long-awaited report by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

The 500-page declassified executive summary of the majority staff’s 6,700-page investigation into CIA rendition, detention and interrogation practices after 9/11 states that despite agency efforts to keep the Bush administration informed about the program, top White House officials repeatedly resisted having the CIA brief cabinet-level figures about the details, and CIA officials were not permitted to brief Bush directly until mid-2006, more than four years after the president signed a broad executive order authorizing the program, according to Senate Democratic aides who briefed reporters ahead of Tuesday’s release.

When Bush finally heard the details of the harsh interrogation techniques that were used against CIA detainees, he was “uncomfortable” with some of them and expressed dismay that some detainees were required to remain in stress positions for long amounts of time, to the point that they had no choice but to soil themselves, the aides said.

The committee’s investigation will also state, based on CIA’s internal correspondence, that two intelligence directors, George Tenet and Porter Goss, admitted they never briefed Bush directly on the techniques, even though the CIA inspector general recommended they do so in 2004.

The White House also resisted CIA efforts to brief other cabinet officials in the beginning stages of the program, Senate Democratic aides said. The CIA acting general counsel at the time, John Rizzo, wrote in an internal agency e-mail that the White House had told the CIA not to brief cabinet officials in 2002 because they feared press leaks, but Rizzo said the White House’s clear implication was that if Secretary of State Colin Powell were aware of the details, “he would blow his stack.”

Powell and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld were briefed on the interrogation techniques sometime in 2003, the committee report states. Other top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, also eventually received briefings about the details of the program, but not the president himself. The committee report states the briefings that did occur were often misleading or incomplete.

In one instance, Cheney was not made aware of a specific country’s hosting of a CIA "black site," which complicated his direct relations with that country, aides said. The names of countries that participated in the CIA program are not revealed in the declassified executive summary of the report.

“The CIA provided incomplete and inaccurate information to the White House regarding the operation and effectiveness of the detention and interrogation program,” a committee document on the report states. “In addition to inaccurate statements provided to other policymakers, there were instances in which specific questions from White House officials were not answered truthfully or completely.”

In an interview with CNN on Sunday, Bush defended the CIA practices but didn’t mention he was kept out of the loop.

“Here’s what I’m going to say, that we’re fortunate to have men and women who work hard at the CIA serving on our behalf. These are patriots,” he said. “And whatever the report says, if it diminishes their contributions to our country, it is way off base.”

Cheney told The New York Times this week that he was properly informed and the CIA program operated within the authority given by the Bush administration, a claim vigorously disputed by the committee’s report.

“What I keep hearing out there is they portray this as a rogue operation, and the agency was way out of bounds and then they lied about it,” Cheney said. “I think that’s all a bunch of hooey. The program was authorized. The agency did not want to proceed without authorization, and it was also reviewed legally by the Justice Department before they undertook the program.”

In its response to the committee’s report, the CIA states that it is unknowable whether or not Bush was briefed on the details of the program prior to 2006 because CIA records are incomplete on the point. Rizzo, in his memoir “Company Man,” states that Bush probably wasn’t fully briefed on the details. The CIA points out that Bush claimed in his own memoir he was briefed on some details.

"The study asserts that the President was not briefed in a timely way on program details,” the CIA response states. “While the Agency records on the subject are admittedly incomplete, former President Bush has stated in his autobiography that he discussed the program, including its use of enhanced techniques, with then-DCIA Tenet in 2002, prior to the application of the techniques on Abu Zubaydah, and personally approved the techniques."  (Zubaydah is a Saudi citizen still held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.)

Regardless, according to the report, which outgoing committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein will speak about this morning on the Senate floor, the CIA not only went well beyond the techniques and practices authorized by the Bush White House and the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel, the agency misrepresented the program to top officials and used false information to gain approval from the White House and Justice Department.

“The CIA provided inaccurate information to the White House, Congress, the Justice Department, the CIA inspector general, the media, and the American public,” a document provided to reporters by the committee states.

The CIA is expected to vigorously dispute the committee’s assertions in their lengthy response to the new report, which will be released by the CIA this morning.

The committee report, which is the result of a 5-year investigation during which Democratic staffers reviewed more than 6 million documents, also states that for the first four years of the program the CIA gave only superficial briefings to the top lawmakers involved in intelligence oversight, known as the “Gang of 8,” and that the full intelligence committee wasn’t briefed until Sept. 6, 2006, just hours before President Bush publicly disclosed the program.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama: I'll 'Make Sure We Never Resort to Those Methods Again'
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
All diversion from obamacare and gruber

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
What is the purpose of releasing this?  Is this supposed to make us safer? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
How is it that here on getbig....den of both LEFT AND RIGHT....nobody cares about torture. They fucked these folks up pretty dam good. Read the Daily Beast articles. Still they got what they had coming to them. They want us all dead.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
I am not a big fan of torture.  But there were some differences in this "war" that may have justified it.

None the less, i don't see any benefit in releasing this report.  Its only going to put people in danger long and short term.

If we want to decide as a nation to make specific forms of torture or interrogation illegal that's one thing.  But to do this, is plain stupid.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
Anybody who has come out for torture but changes their mind after reading this shit...I'll understand completely. Plus they've changed how we do things for the most part. The guys doing this weren't military and they play by different rules. If douchbag sells these people out to the UN..it will be bad for him and for the CIA
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
If we have already made changes, then why the heck are they releasing this? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
They are trying to destroy the country. They will cause the death of some kid from red state America because of embassy attack or some home grown jihadi nut. If this is a problem u fix it in house. These people are fucking boy scouts. This is the real world and there are really horrible people doing horrible things...the US included. Get over yourself Libs. This was the last gasp of the libs as they exit congress. You lost...get over it. The right had to get over barry's two wins. Get over being ass fucked in the mids.
L

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
we just want to make our enemies around the world know that we are working around the clock to make sure that they get the best treatment possible if they are in our care. 

so what's the problem?  i'm sure they're doing the same thing. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
The detainee's aren't uniformed soldiers, so as far as I'm concerned they don't get the treatment a uniformed POW would. Stress positions and water boarding, I'll take that any day over a beheading.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »
I am not a big fan of torture.  But there were some differences in this "war" that may have justified it.

if it's cool now, then it was cool in WWII and further back.  Torture didn't become "cool" or "acceptable" now.

In WWII, dudes were suicide bombing airplanes by the dozens.  THAT is some shit worthy of torturing survivors.  Looking further back, people were WAY more brutal in war hundreds of years ago... impaling people, rape/pillage, mass murder of tens of millions... a few dudes getting non-deadly waterboarding? Sheeit, 400 years ago, they'd be chopping off fingers and penises to get the intel they needed. 

So IF torture is okay today because of "Unlawful" combatants, then it sure as shit was okay 400 years ago when rape/pillage/torture of entire villiages was cool.   LOL @ anyone whining about Gitmo that isn't whining about the way we continent-fcked those indians living here before us.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
I don't see much outrage across America on this....its more a smoke screen for all the other shit going on. Its been sorta gobbled up by the bs Ferguson  crap and the legitimate New York crap.
L

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
And yet the same democrats and president who oppose these tactics have no problem using drones to indiscriminately kill non-terrorists and American citizens.

Not only that, but the CIA got their authority for this program from both Democrats and Republicans.

Libtards are whiny retards.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
we just want to make our enemies around the world know that we are working around the clock to make sure that they get the best treatment possible if they are in our care. 

so what's the problem?  i'm sure they're doing the same thing. 

That's one of the things that really upsets me.  We have this enormous body of rules, laws, customary international practices, etc. regarding how to fight, how to treat prisoners, etc.  In practice, it's really just a code of conduct for the United States.  Our enemies don't play by the rules. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
They behead, bomb, threaten, line people up and shoot them in the back of their heads and this idiot is worried about hurting them to gather intelligence. Come and tell me once again just how smart Obama and the left are.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
He's not...never was....he could read a teleprompter and that's about it.
L

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »
2001....."we want hamburger"

2014....."what? you didn't tell us you were going to kill the cows!"

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »
Thanks who ever is responsible for making this report happen....I heard it was democratic reps. FUCK YOU PEOPLE

Now we get to hear all the shame stories.

WHAT ABOUT THE 3000 INNOCENT PEOPLE KILLED ON 9-11, AND THE BEHEADINGs, AND BOMBINGS?

We water boarded some people to get info so we could stop this shit, now we are getting shamed for it?

FUCK YOU.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
It's rather vogue nowadays for people (esp those that read a lot of 'action fiction') to say - well torture doesn't work anyone - they will just tell you what you want to hear.

Well I disagree. I would spill my fucking guts if tortured. You want to know it? I'm your fucking man if you just take those electrodes off my scrotum.

Course it works.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
You give me a Brazilian bikini wax and I will tell you where my grandma hides her money.  :-[

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
It's rather vogue nowadays for people (esp those that read a lot of 'action fiction') to say - well torture doesn't work anyone - they will just tell you what you want to hear.

Well I disagree. I would spill my fucking guts if tortured. You want to know it? I'm your fucking man if you just take those electrodes off my scrotum.

Course it works.

lol, yeah me too.  I will sing like a bird.   

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
lol, yeah me too.  I will sing like a bird.   

I'd tell them secrets they hadn't even asked about...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
lol

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
Obama: "I'll Make Sure We Never Resort to Those Methods Again......just as soon as I finish patting myself on the back for getting Bin Laden with the coerced intelligence".

Seriously though, why have CIA black sites if you aren't going to do shit like this?  Fuck these animals.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
did obama/white house/congress/networks make all this noise about some years-old torture issue..

so that none of us would notice the insane 1.1 trillion spending bill (for only 9 months!) that Boehnner/obama/Reid just pushed on dems and repubs - who both hate it?

Is this designed in timing... so that repubs/libs have more "cover" from media coverage of their terrible support for this spending monstrosity?