Author Topic: Renting your home. Lesson learned  (Read 8142 times)

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
Renting your home. Lesson learned
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:09 AM »
So about 4 months ago I rented out my house in California and moved to Texas.
I bought at the end of 08 so with the market bouncing back slowly I though Habging on to it was the best move.

I had a guy, you could consider him a friend move in wity his girl and new born. (Never rent to someone you know) I thought great the guys clean and had a kid he's got to keep a roof over

Well it's been a horrible horrible experience. Every month when rents due there is some problem, this is broke or that's broke and being 2000 miles away I can't check to see if it's broken or he's trying to scam.

Well I finally had enough and hired a landlord and what happens? The guy freaks out and know won't pay rent due to "mold" in the detached garage that I didn't know existed.

So what's my option? Evicted him. Well that cost 1400 and I'm still not getting paid and the process takes a long time that's if he dosnt try to fight in court. Which he won't win but will end up costing me more.

Moral of the story never rent to someone you know, get a landlord off the bat, never talk to the renter ever and if you don't have a spare 1600 or 1700 bucks a month laying around to pay double rent don't do it.

Live and learn. All this seems like common sense now but hind sight is 20/20

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
Re: Renting your home. Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:57:02 AM »
Did he lift?

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »
Did he lift?

He went a few times with me. Never went after that
Should have been my clue

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »
Had a similar experience with a lifelong friend, took me nearly 6 months after he left to get back owed rent money and had to replace flooring as it stunk of dogs piss as well as clean the place.
Friends and money rarely ends well

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:14:23 AM »
Sounds like a poor asshole that does everything he can to not pay the rent....fuck him, everytime he cries that something is broken accuse uöhim for breaking it.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
Good thing I read this cause I was gonna attempt to rent my house on my own.
Mr. AZ 2003

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
Sounds like a poor asshole that does everything he can to not pay the rent....fuck him, everytime he cries that something is broken accuse uöhim for breaking it.

That's exactly what I think it is. That's why he got so mad when I got a landlord. Can't fool me anymore. At this point I'm just going to have to sale the house ASAP as I can't afford rent here in Texas and a mortgage and hoa fees in ca. Just doesn't make sense. I think I have enough capital left to lower it for a quick sale and still come out ahead 

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
That's exactly what I think it is. That's why he got so mad when I got a landlord. Can't fool me anymore. At this point I'm just going to have to sale the house ASAP as I can't afford rent here in Texas and a mortgage and hoa fees in ca. Just doesn't make sense. I think I have enough capital left to lower it fteyior a quick sale and still come out ahead 
i would do the same to, that fryitdick is just trying to take advantage of you and as you said it will take time and money to get him evicted...just to rub it in his face you should say to his gf that the only reason for you selling it is because of his behaviour (yeah she is as guilty to but that would make them fight atleast)

Ungreatful idiots

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:39 AM »

He went a few times with me. Never went after that
Should have been my clue

X2.

Most non-lifters are unscrupulous, to say the least.

dustin

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:15:26 AM »
I had to kick out some whiny Chinese bitch a month ago. Now I had a Saudi kid who's a fucking piece of shit and left his room in complete and utter filth. Going to get him to clean everything up and kick him the fuck out. I can't imagine being a landlord with someone that far away though. Bad move on your part, man. Tenants complain about everything. Hot water tank isn't working. The house is drafty. Something broke, but they didn't do it, it was like that when they found it.  ::) :-\

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »
I have a condo in Houston that I rented to a girl who was recommended by my neighbor.  She worked in a law office, seemed arrow straight, I met her mother.

Two weeks after she moved in she gets hooked on cocaine.  She brought in a number of unfixed tom cats.  She never answered her phone.  Never paid, or she paid with bad checks just below the figure where the district attorney would get involved. (She knew what she was doing)  Her power was turned off several times.  When I finally got her out my old neighbor who convinced me to rent to her wouldn’t talk to me.  The condo association was pissed at me.

Believe it or not I had much better luck with section 8 tenants.  I am renting now to a single mom and her son who fled Georgia to escape her husband.

I get just enough to pay the mortgage and association fees.  Which is good in that at least the weight of the payments are off my hands

MikMaq

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 02:34:39 AM »
What the fuck do you expect?
Aside from renting from foreigners, these are pretty newb complaints.

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:53:24 AM »
The life lesson is that there should be no 'trust', or 'friends', when money involved.
Previously nice people ready to fuck you over the moment it suits their own financial interests, even if it's small sums.
Always think about documentary support and countermeasures before something happens.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »
Never, ever, ever. I will let a place sit empty before I rent it. Not worth 1/10 the hassles.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:28:51 AM »
What the fuck do you expect?
Aside from renting from foreigners, these are pretty newb complaints.

I imagine you having poor personal hygiene.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »
he is like al bundy...wears his underwear for 3 weeks and then just turns them inside out for another 3 weeks

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 03:53:46 AM »
surely renting out to a getbigger must be ok  ???

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:56:52 AM »

I Imagine his fat greasy 270lbs body lying under piss stained sheets, picking threadworms out of his fat scarcely wiped arse and puting them on the bulb of lamp, shit smeared up his bedroom walls from his last Down's syndrome rage

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 05:16:45 AM »
So about 4 months ago I rented out my house in California and moved to Texas.
I bought at the end of 08 so with the market bouncing back slowly I though Habging on to it was the best move.

I had a guy, you could consider him a friend move in wity his girl and new born. (Never rent to someone you know) I thought great the guys clean and had a kid he's got to keep a roof over

Well it's been a horrible horrible experience. Every month when rents due there is some problem, this is broke or that's broke and being 2000 miles away I can't check to see if it's broken or he's trying to scam.

Well I finally had enough and hired a landlord and what happens? The guy freaks out and know won't pay rent due to "mold" in the detached garage that I didn't know existed.

So what's my option? Evicted him. Well that cost 1400 and I'm still not getting paid and the process takes a long time that's if he dosnt try to fight in court. Which he won't win but will end up costing me more.

Moral of the story never rent to someone you know, get a landlord off the bat, never talk to the renter ever and if you don't have a spare 1600 or 1700 bucks a month laying around to pay double rent don't do it.

Live and learn. All this seems like common sense now but hind sight is 20/20

Your “friend” was certainly a jerk, but the fault was yours.  The lessons you learned could have been culled from common sense.  Did your friend pay first, last, and security deposit before he moved in or did you let that slide because he was a “friend”?  Did you review all 20+pages of his credit report?  Or did you let that pass too?  Renting is always a gamble, and you must do what you can to hedge your bet.  I suspect you did not do that.  As you now know, you should never rent to a “friend.”  Use a realtor or place an advertisement in a suitable venue and screen your tenants rigorously.  Most landlords are so greedy for the money that they end up taking a tenant that they shouldn't.

When I rented my place I told the realtor that anyone who wanted to rent my house had to have first/last and security.  They had to have a credit score above 800 (no exceptions) and they must be willing to show me all pages of their credit report.  The realtor kept bringing me applicants who had first/last and security, but they didn’t have the credit score or they could not provide me with the complete report.  I rejected them. At one point she brought me a few people who wanted to pay first/last or security in installments.  I rejected them too.

Eventually, she told me that I needed to be more flexible because many people had been hurt by the economy and their credit scores had suffered.  I told her that I understood this, but that was not my problem and if she couldn’t get behind my criteria then I would find another agent.  That shut her up.  The next person she brought me was a single retired widower.  His grown kids did not live with him, he had no pets, and did not smoke.  His credit score was above 800 and I saw the entire report.  I let him move in and never had a problem, late payment, excuses, etc.  We actually had a great relationship.  I visited the home about twice a year to inspect the property, landscaping, and work I had contracted for.  Mr. tenant always greeted me warmly, invited me in, and told me I was free to enter the home even when he was not there.

If you do the heavy lifting before, it eliminates all the problems later.  By the way, I never used a landlord.  Again, if you find the right tenant, you don’t need one.  I had a local handyman who would address small issues for me and never had a problem.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:24 AM »
U shouldve had a mold clause as well as lead paint
A

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »
I rented my house out with a landlord. Apparently it got rented out to the hot chick that worked in the pub across the road.

When she left (I was selling it before moving to the US), she took with her my favorite painting. I got in touch with her, went round to her house and she gave me the painting and (to my surprise) a blow job.

Rent was paid on time every month.

It was definitely a win.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 05:24:21 AM »
No need to screen but cover your ass with a good contract the least u shouldve done was buy a dehumidifier
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 05:25:47 AM »
You guys have got some piece of shit friends.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »
That's exactly what I think it is. That's why he got so mad when I got a landlord. Can't fool me anymore. At this point I'm just going to have to sale the house ASAP as I can't afford rent here in Texas and a mortgage and hoa fees in ca. Just doesn't make sense. I think I have enough capital left to lower it for a quick sale and still come out ahead 
epic failure btw never dick around with a renter make documented effort to help alleviate situations get a smarter contract
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »
If you bought a backhoe and had no idea how to run it or service it

would you be a good backhoe owner?