Author Topic: Chris Cormier Interview  (Read 12140 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Chris Cormier Interview
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
From what I remember, I think Ronnie was in the 240's for the 2001 Arnold but I don't think he was 280 at the previous Mr. Olympia (2000). I believe Ronnie was about 247 for the '98 Olympia, 257 in '99
and over 260 in 2000. He was a little too bloated in 2000 so he went down to 247 for the 2001 Arnold and dominated that show. At the 2001 Olympia that year, he was pushed hard by Jay and was losing going into the night show. The next year at the Olympia (2002), he came in too flat because the judges told him to compete like he did at the 2001 Arnold. However, Ronnie was too big at that point and he lost muscle and flattened out trying to get down to the 240's. He barely won the Olympia that year and then lost to Gunter at the Show of Strength one month later. In 2003, Ronnie came back bigger than ever at 283 pounds and totally dominated.
He was bigger than DJ who was 261 for the 2001 Arnold. Ronnie was in the 240s when he first won, and he had more separation...
He went up in weight for subsequent Mr. O's, and as criticized then he went down, but it was disappointing .

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 04:13:17 AM »
I agree what he says about conditioning in the end. It shouldn't be the end be all, shape is more important.

And he was quite clear about bb being shit today.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 05:24:52 AM »
cormier never had bad showings and did many shows,had some of the best legs front to side/hams at one point...great shape,can compete high or lower bodyweights and still looked great ...freaky like Ronnie or dillet no but freaky is his own regard..

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:05 AM »
I agree what he says about conditioning in the end. It shouldn't be the end be all, shape is more important.

I thought that was interesting too, how he said his shape, proportions and muscle mass were more important that extreme conditioning. He was referring to Beneziza and Munzer when
he said some of the bodybuiders on the circuit who tried for that extreme conditioning are no longer with us.

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
cormier never had bad showings and did many shows,had some of the best legs front to side/hams at one point...great shape,can compete high or lower bodyweights and still looked great ...freaky like Ronnie or dillet no but freaky is his own regard..

He actually looked good. More balance type guy. Which should be rewarded way more.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
Great Interview from Natural_O John Hansen. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »

I like how he said that Phil and Kai would lose. The 90s guys were on another level. Although, I think that Phil and Kai would look better if they competed in the 90s than what they look like now.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
chris always had the rep that he is lazy but i dont think its accurate, dude been around for a long time, training twice a day even sleeping in his car living the bodybuilding lifestyle etc it seems unfair to say that

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
chris always had the rep that he is lazy but i dont think its accurate, dude been around for a long time, training twice a day even sleeping in his car living the bodybuilding lifestyle etc it seems unfair to say that
As has been said back in the 90s he was strong as all get out. And it has been said before, that Chris, Flex and Rico used to train heavy. Charles Glass told Flex to knock that off...there is more longevity with the body using lesser weights. Just look at how Ronnie Coleman's body looks now.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
As has been said back in the 90s he was strong as all get out. And it has been said before, that Chris, Flex and Rico used to train heavy. Charles Glass told Flex to knock that off...there is more longevity with the body using lesser weights. Just look at how Ronnie Coleman's body looks now.
CHRIS WAS AND LOOKED STRONG 405 INCLINES,LEGS HEAVY SQUATS.HEAVY ASS DBELLS NOT THE NORM..

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »
And don't forget the 1000 pound hack squats like he talked about in the video.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
And don't forget the 1000 pound hack squats like he talked about in the video.
yep, or the 695 squat as well.

But, my question is, since he trained with Dorian when he was in his 40s and after his tricep injury and he hasn't been training as hard, would he still have the same sentiment if he met and trained with Dorian back in the early 2000s?

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
I like how he said that Phil and Kai would lose. The 90s guys were on another level. Although, I think that Phil and Kai would look better if they competed in the 90s than what they look like now.

Precisely. They would. Not only cuz they are worse, but the standards were different too

They would have probably followed a different "routine"

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
yep, or the 695 squat as well.

But, my question is, since he trained with Dorian when he was in his 40s and after his tricep injury and he hasn't been training as hard, would he still have the same sentiment if he met and trained with Dorian back in the early 2000s?

I don't believe in that kind of "hard training" if anyone wanted to make another puke it isn't that hard as evidenced in the Dorian cormier training clip

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »

He did have his worst showing in the 2004 O, that was also one of his worst regardless of what show he competed in

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
Precisely. They would. Not only cuz they are worse, but the standards were different too

They would have probably followed a different "routine"

Chris believes that the conditioning and the posing was much better in his era than today.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
He did have his worst showing in the 2004 O, that was also one of his worst regardless of what show he competed in

Is that where he did the cringe-worthy Macarena?  :-X  :-X or was that 2005?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »
Chris was a brute when he first turned pro

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
 :o

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
Great pics!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
 :)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
Chris had great legs from the very beginning.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
:o
Also of note, he had said that Shawn Ray was an influence of sorts. And Flex had said that he wanted to be like Shawn Ray---as Shawn had won his Pro card in 87. Chris had said in the interview about Shawn being a "complete bodybuilder" or along those lines. Alq Gurley had said that Shawn was Mr. Bodybuilding. It seems that Shawn has influenced or helped in some form, the shape of several bodybuilder's careers and paths.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Great questions! I'll be sure to ask him those. Not too many people have asked him about his football career.

I think he was done with the Jets the year before their Super Bowl win over the Colts. It was Super Bowl III. Imagine being Mr. America with a Super Bowl ring?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2014, 05:22:34 PM »
Cormier is one of the all time greats.

Perfect build, smart guy.
X2 very underrated.
Cormier>Yates
A