Author Topic: East vs West coast  (Read 3571 times)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
East vs West coast
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:03 AM »
is there a difference in mentality in the gym, old school vs new school, free weights vs machines?

Speak about your thoughts and what youve seen in different gyms regarding this topic !

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Re: East vs West coast
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
is there a difference in mentality in the gym, old school vs new school, free weights vs machines?

Speak about your thoughts and what youve seen in different gyms regarding this topic !

That there's more bobbing for attention and fucking weirdos than 15 years ago?

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
I don't know about east vs west coast, but I think that European powerlifters/bodybuilders/worlds strongest men train harder than American powerlifters/bodybuilders/worlds strongest men.
X

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
we have some hardcore gyms here in jersey,my old gym was really hardcore,on any given night u can see anywhere from 4 to 6 pro bodybuilders and another 8 or so top national bodybuilders training,not counting all the mr new jersey competitors and east coast champions. tons of free weights and ofcoarse hammer strength and smith machines. when u walked in there u could feel the heat coming off every body and u could feel the energy bigtime,it just made u wanna train your balls off.this was back in the 80's and 90's into early 2000's,i havent been there since that though but im sure its still stacked.the atmosphere was top of the line and if a person couldnt get motivated in that gym there was no hope at all for a person,it didnt have no yoga classes or steam rooms,it was just like DORIANS TEMPLE GYM,looked almost identical to be honest
R

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
ive heard that in new jersey there's more of a hard core attitude when it comes to training

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Tupac>Biggie

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
ive heard that in new jersey there's more of a hard core attitude when it comes to training

it is a hardcore scene imo, i remember when dorian came there in 92-93 to guest pose for the suburben bodybuilding championships he said he loves the gym and said it reminded him of his gym,flex wheeler was guest posing with him also. we had a number of excellent bodybuilders come out of jersey. the gyms are great also,especially north jersey imo,alot of top quality gyms
R

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
Now, East & West coast gyms have guys like Kamali taking video's of their bad-ass treadmill sessions @ 2.5 MPH (no incline).

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
I saw a post that all West Coast lifters do power cleans on the smith machine.
Y

MikMaq

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »
You should try one of our north coast gym up here in canada. 6 months of darkness, 50% native population, a whole lot of drug petro, and alcohol addiction, some tough muthafawkas.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
i hope i get to visit some of those gyms some day

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
In my travels I've noticed east coasters train more for size and strength and west coasters train more for fitness...

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
While east and west coast go at it texas bbers Ronnie has 8 mr O titles and branch is 2 time Arnold champion...

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
I think it was traditions, eras, and weather that dictated training somewhat. The northeast, mid-atlantic, etc.... developed it's physical culture in the shadow of York Barbell, so you get more of a weightlifting/powerlifting feel to a lot of the gyms there, just guys grinding it out, more strength and numbers based. Also the weather is ho-hum for a good portion of the year compared to California, so you get a lot of guys lifting with more anger from just being cooped up 2/3rds of the year.

Meanwhile, a lot of California bodybuilding sorta fell under the influence of Weider philosophy and California's general mellowness to my eye. It always seemed like California was like "lets lift some weights, and then go down to the beach, and chill". More of a fun feel to it.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
good observations guys