Author Topic: Benoit and Bob Holly  (Read 7193 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Benoit and Bob Holly
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »
Anyone listen to JR's podcast with Bob Holly? He stated the day the Benoit murders went down he was supposed to be at Chris' home in GA for dinner and to hang out BUT Bob was beat and wanted to get back home to his family. Makes you wonder what if Bob decided to go..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Benoit and Bob Holly
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
Wow!! I've never heard that before.

Although, I honestly believe that about the most Holly's presence there would have accomplished would have been a delay in the tragedy. I sincerely doubt he would have prevented it all together. It was going to happen eventually.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
I still cannot believe that those murders happened. Talk about a serious black eye on pro wrestling. I would have payed money to see the look on Vince jr's face when he found out.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I still cannot believe that those murders happened. Talk about a serious black eye on pro wrestling. I would have payed money to see the look on Vince jr's face when he found out.

Everybody talked about how Vince ate crow following release of the details after the tribute they aired the night or two before. I still don't understand that.

Why should he feel bad?
Had he aired a tribute AFTER the details came out, then yes - that would have been disgraceful. But, nobody could have imagined - much less predicted - what happened that night.

I'm not bungeeing from Vince's nuts, here - I'm just calling it the way I see it.
You can't blame Vince for what happened that June night of 2007. And, you can't blame wrestling, either. The Benoit events are (hopefully) a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Vince took undeserved heat. He went to extensive measures to "erase" Benoit from WWF history. The only connection between Vince and the murders is that Chris happened to be employed by the Fed at the time he snapped. That doesn't make it the WWE's fault.

I'm frankly disappointed in Vince's reaction. It demonstrated admission via guilt. Vince deserves heat for a lot of things, but NOT this.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »

Everybody talked about how Vince ate crow following release of the details after the tribute they aired the night or two before. I still don't understand that.

Why should he feel bad?
Had he aired a tribute AFTER the details came out, then yes - that would have been disgraceful. But, nobody could have imagined - much less predicted - what happened that night.

I'm not bungeeing from Vince's nuts, here - I'm just calling it the way I see it.
You can't blame Vince for what happened that June night of 2007. And, you can't blame wrestling, either. The Benoit events are (hopefully) a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Vince took undeserved heat. He went to extensive measures to "erase" Benoit from WWF history. The only connection between Vince and the murders is that Chris happened to be employed by the Fed at the time he snapped. That doesn't make it the WWE's fault.

I'm frankly disappointed in Vince's reaction. It demonstrated admission via guilt. Vince deserves heat for a lot of things, but NOT this.
I totally agree. Its not WWE's fault he murdered. Problem is you have the media coupled with sensationalism = idiodicy.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
I had said for years that the diving headbutt would affect Benoit in a very negative way, i didnt think he would kill his family though. As stated above Holly's presence would have only delayed what would appear to be the inevitable.

Cant forgive the actions but can never forget the performer. His memorial match with Bret for Owens passing is one of the greatest matches ever put on.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
I had said for years that the diving headbutt would affect Benoit in a very negative way, i didnt think he would kill his family though. As stated above Holly's presence would have only delayed what would appear to be the inevitable.

Cant forgive the actions but can never forget the performer. His memorial match with Bret for Owens passing is one of the greatest matches ever put on.
I remember seeing Benoit in a steel cage match doing that diving head butt off the top of the cage (against the Rock I believe back around 2002-2003) and Rock moving with Benoit's head just bouncing off the canvas from some 15 feet high. That's gotta scramble your brains after so many times.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 05:08:54 AM »
Again truly sad, one of the best workers in the business.....so many great matches with Benoit......I actually loved the short time he teamed with Saturn in WCW

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
Again truly sad, one of the best workers in the business.....so many great matches with Benoit......I actually loved the short time he teamed with Saturn in WCW
What bothers me is when they blame the entire WWE for a persons fuck ups in life. VM has no control over what his roster does outside the business nor is he viable for any of their misdeeds. He didn't hold a gun to their heads and tell them to pop 30 somas a night.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »
What bothers me is when they blame the entire WWE for a persons fuck ups in life. VM has no control over what his roster does outside the business nor is he viable for any of their misdeeds. He didn't hold a gun to their heads and tell them to pop 30 somas a night.

And, if that's what it takes for you to "survive" in this business, then maybe it's time for you to find a different job. Otherwise, quit your bitching!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »

And, if that's what it takes for you to "survive" in this business, then maybe it's time for you to find a different job. Otherwise, quit your bitching!!
I look at that Avatar and it bugs the shit out of me how poorly misused Henning was in WCW. Atrocious.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 01:22:46 AM »
I look at that Avatar and it bugs the shit out of me how poorly misused Henning was in WCW. Atrocious.

Agree.

Unrelated, but interesting, is that about a week ago, I noticed my avatar gif slightly changed. The link is the same; I'm guessing the owner changed it. I like it!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »

Agree.

Unrelated, but interesting, is that about a week ago, I noticed my avatar gif slightly changed. The link is the same; I'm guessing the owner changed it. I like it!
I just watched about 4 hours on and off straight of the WWE netwrok (its free here today for whatever reason) on the monday night wars. WCW could have destroyed WWE had their upper brass played their cards right. Vince got LUCKY on that one.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
I just watched about 4 hours on and off straight of the WWE netwrok (its free here today for whatever reason) on the monday night wars. WCW could have destroyed WWE had their upper brass played their cards right. Vince got LUCKY on that one.

One of the biggest things I think hurt WCW was that Turner Network censorship was much stricter than the USA Network, and that allowed Vince to foray way past WCW's "cut-off."

I remember one WCW "edgy" competitive angle consisting of a camera following Nash as he searched for Scott Hall all night. This consisted of an ongoing vignette comprised mostly of Hall's back as he entered one bar after the next calling out Scott's name.

How riveting...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »

One of the biggest things I think hurt WCW was that Turner Network censorship was much stricter than the USA Network, and that allowed Vince to foray way past WCW's "cut-off."

I remember one WCW "edgy" competitive angle consisting of a camera following Nash as he searched for Scott Hall all night. This consisted of an ongoing vignette comprised mostly of Hall's back as he entered one bar after the next calling out Scott's name.

How riveting...
I remember that too and once Russo took over the booking with Ferrara in 1999, it was all over.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 05:56:56 AM »
I remember that too and once Russo took over the booking with Ferrara in 1999, it was all over.

There's a big and common misconception resulting in Russo getting entirely too much credit for WWF's successful booking prior to his departure. WCW executives were under the impression that "stealing" Russo from WWF would bring them the same success WWF was enjoying.

However...
People who were there at that time have comfirmed that Russo would pitch maybe a dozen or so ideas. The old man would pick the best two or three, and then modify them - often substantially, to the point that they bore little resemblance to Russo's original concept.

This is quite believable when you consider Russo was given absolute creative power in WCW and accomplished NOTHING; unless you count the drop in those pesky Nielson ratings.
Additionally, if Russo was as valuable to WWF as so many people thought, then the old man would have at least made some effort to keep him - especially knowing he'd be taking his "valuable talents" to Vince's biggest rival promotion. Vince was reportedly un-phased by the news, and I don't know that he even made any kind of counter-offer.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »

There's a big and common misconception resulting in Russo getting entirely too much credit for WWF's successful booking prior to his departure. WCW executives were under the impression that "stealing" Russo from WWF would bring them the same success WWF was enjoying.

However...
People who were there at that time have comfirmed that Russo would pitch maybe a dozen or so ideas. The old man would pick the best two or three, and then modify them - often substantially, to the point that they bore little resemblance to Russo's original concept.

This is quite believable when you consider Russo was given absolute creative power in WCW and accomplished NOTHING; unless you count the drop in those pesky Nielson ratings.
Additionally, if Russo was as valuable to WWF as so many people thought, then the old man would have at least made some effort to keep him - especially knowing he'd be taking his "valuable talents" to Vince's biggest rival promotion. Vince was reportedly un-phased by the news, and I don't know that he even made any kind of counter-offer.
And the exact same thing happened when he attempted a comeback in TNA

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:14 AM »
And the exact same thing happened when he attempted a comeback in TNA

I didn't follow that.

I'm glad I didn't.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
And of course that is when wrestling was better from a writers standpoint. Back in the day there were maybe 2,3,4 writers or bookers and at least one was a wrestler.

In WWE each brand has 20+ writers and most of them are writers of different genres.... ::)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »

I didn't follow that.

I'm glad I didn't.
Thank Christ you didn't.....David Arquette winning the world title....Jesus....what a great why to add prestige to a title held by so many greats.  :-\

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
Thank Christ you didn't.....David Arquette winning the world title....Jesus....what a great why to add prestige to a title held by so many greats.  :-\

Terry Funk,
Harley Race,
Ric Flair,

David Arquette...

Right on par with Buff Bagwell holding the tag belts with his mother.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »

Terry Funk,
Harley Race,
Ric Flair,

David Arquette...

Right on par with Buff Bagwell holding the tag belts with his mother.
This right here just made me litterally lose my breakfast :)