Author Topic: Rep. Michael Grimm announces his resignation from Congress, effective Monday  (Read 7144 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Rep. Michael Grimm announces his resignation from Congress, effective Monday
By Fred Barbash and Robert Costa

U.S. Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) announced late Monday that he will resign from Congress effective next week.

Grimm pleaded guilty in federal court last week to felony tax fraud. He privately told House Republican leaders Monday that he will resign, following calls from Democrats for him to step down.

“After much thought and prayer, I have made the very difficult decision to step down from Congress effective January 5th, 2015,” Grimm said in a statement. “This decision is made with a heavy heart, as I have enjoyed a very special relationship and closeness with my constituents, whom I care about deeply.

He added: “The events which led to this day did not break my spirit,” he added, “nor the will of the voters. However, I do not believe that I can continue to be 100 percent effective in the next Congress, and therefore, out of respect for the Office and the people I so proudly represent, it is time for me to start the next chapter of my life.”

Grimm spoke with House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) by phone Monday, according to Republicans familiar with the exchange.

Grimm could face up to three years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced June 8.

The congressman was indicted this year on 20 counts of misconduct in connection with a Manhattan health food restaurant he co-owned before he became a member of Congress. As a part of his plea, the other charges will be dismissed without prejudice, his attorney, Stuart N. Kaplan, said in an e-mail last week.

First elected in 2010, Grimm represents a district that includes Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn. He is a former FBI agent with a reputation for being intense and at times combative.

After President Obama’s State of the Union address this year, Grimm threatened to throw a reporter off a balcony after the reporter questioned him about his legal standing. He later apologized.

It will be up to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) to decide whether to hold a special election to fill his seat, which could be at risk of falling into Democratic hands. Obama won 52 percent of the district in 2012.

“If things don’t go my way, and I had to step down in January, then there will be a special election,” Grimm told WABC radio in October. “At least the people of Staten Island and Brooklyn would have qualified people to choose from.”

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
buh bye!
see you in court on the June 8th.
enjoy prison from the other side of the bars.
good luck.
w

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Meanwhile, a tax cheat like Charles Rangel continues to hold on to his seat in the House. Another tax evader named Al Sharpton continues to advice the president.

In today's political world it pays to be black and have the failureinchief on your side.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Meanwhile, a tax cheat like Charles Rangel continues to hold on to his seat in the Housel. Another tax evader named Al Sharpton continues to advice the president.

In today's political world it pays to be black and have the failureinchief on your side.

"Distract and deflect" is not going to help Grimm.  He is not a bad looking guy; I hope he is very popular in prison. :P

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Sharpton -owes $4.5mil....Osamabamas right hand man. Should I go on?

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
"Distract and defect" is not going to help Grimm.  He is not a bad looking guy; I hope he is very popular in prison. :P

I am not trying to help him. I am pointing out the double standard when it comes to dumocrats and how their supporters, such as yourself, turn a blind eye to their corruption and lawlessness.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
I am not trying to help him. I am pointing out the double standard when it comes to dumocrats and how their supporters, such as yourself, turn a blind eye to their corruption and lawlessness.

No double standard on my part.  I am not sure why Sharpton is not held accountable for not paying his taxes; presumably he is facing fines from the IRS like most delinquent payers, but this thread is about a Congressman named Grimm who was indicted, bounced out of Congress, and headed to jail.  Hiding behind prayer is laughable coming from wannabe tough guy Grimm.  We will see how tough he is from prison. :)

Skip8282

• Getbig V

Please, former FBI and soon to be former Congressman.  Most likely if he does go to prison it will be a minimum security country club and isolated from any hard core offenders.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Please, former FBI and soon to be former Congressman.  Most likely if he does go to prison it will be a minimum security country club and isolated from any hard core offenders.

That would be regrettable.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Sharpton -owes $4.5mil....Osamabamas right hand man. Should I go on?

sounds like sharpton & Grimm should be cellmates.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
"Distract and deflect" is not going to help Grimm.  He is not a bad looking guy; I hope he is very popular in prison. :P
I bet he's got a pretty ass.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good.