Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 132630 times)

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
Re: Rare Footage of 1980 Mr. Olympia - New to Me
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2020, 06:54:52 AM »
Having watched this again, Coe looked Amazing.

J

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
Ha Wes got news for ya ;)     Been here for at least ...mmmm... well over 15..17 years. Not as mong as Ausvet. Used to answer Bix's guess who's if that gives u an idea of time. But thanks for the old Wes welcome!                 

An honor to receive that welcome lol......

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
I prefer homemade footage from mryorkielover with goofy broads embarrassing themselves on muscle beach

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
That's Norm Komich's video. He used to be on IronAge all the time. Norm passed away several years ago.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
Ha Wes got news for ya ;)     Been here for at least ...mmmm... well over 15..17 years. Not as mong as Ausvet. Used to answer Bix's guess who's if that gives u an idea of time. But thanks for the old Wes welcome!                  
My apologies didn`t recognize the name.......now Ausvet I remember.

Good old Bix.

sorry pal !!

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »
Padilla's arms looked insane from that angle, something's going on with that camera. And not sure if it was a joke but that is not Bertil Fox.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2020, 11:18:37 PM »
Nice find. Zane and Coe both looked very good. Mentzer from the front looked alright but he completely vanished when side on. I don't think he had much room to complain the way he did.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2020, 02:11:18 AM »
Padilla's arms looked insane from that angle, something's going on with that camera. And not sure if it was a joke but that is not Bertil Fox.

Danny was huge in the 1980 Olympia. Bertil Fox wasn't in the Olympia that year. I think he meant Roy Callender.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »
Nice find. Zane and Coe both looked very good. Mentzer from the front looked alright but he completely vanished when side on. I don't think he had much room to complain the way he did.
He was delusional.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2020, 02:57:30 AM »
Mentzer uncrowned Mr. O

it corruptional

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:04 AM »
Mentzer uncrowned Mr. O

it corruptional
What year?

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2020, 03:24:15 AM »
None....
Agreed but Maxx seems to think otherwise.  The Mentzer nuthuggers can never name the year in which he should have won the O.

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2020, 03:35:18 AM »
The video makes Zane look like the clear winner.

Mentzer really does vanish from the side. 

Coe and Casey Viator looked good -- should have placed higher.

Arnold's legs and forearms look surprisingly weak, and he seems off-balance somehow. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2020, 03:48:22 AM »
The video makes Zane look like the clear winner.

Mentzer really does vanish from the side. 

Coe and Casey Viator looked good -- should have placed higher.

Arnold's legs and forearms look surprisingly weak, and he seems off-balance somehow. 
That's probably why Zane smashed his trophy.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2020, 04:33:55 AM »
1980 was 40 years ago and we still talk about who should have won the Olympia in Sydney that year.

I was there but saw the contest through my camera lenses. I did take 360 photos at the judging then some slides at the

evening show. They called out 7 men for the pose down. Roger Walker had tied for 6th so he was included as the home-town favourite.

Somehow the judges scored the pose down which really was silly. Guys were doing all manner of poses and moved around. No way

anyone was really compared.

Well, imagine the excitement before the places were announced. We knew something was brewing because Mike Mentzer placed 5th.

That was a surprise. Then Boyer Coe 4th. The shock was three time Mr Olympia placing 3rd...Frank Zane. Then the Concert Hall became

silent....in second place...Chris Dickerson. That meant that Arnold won. The audience booed long and loud. Finally they accepted Arnold's

victory and gave him what he deserved.

I wasn't surprised that Arnold won but the placings were all over the place. There were 200 people from our gym there and everyone

had an opinion. I was surprised that some of the bodybuilders from my gym favoured Chris Dickerson.

I formed my opinions later when developing my black and white photos. Several of the guys could have won. The judges thought so, too,

and many of the competitors got a 20 score in at least one round. That was the trouble with this contest. Too many judges awarded 20 scores.

When many judges fail to separate the competitors that leaves the scores of those who did to count more.

There was also a mystery how Brendan Ryan, a junior, was chosen to judge over several times Mr Australia, Peter McCarthy. I was standing

with Peter and Frank Burwash before the judging and someone told Peter the judges' meeting had started. Peter swore and raced off but

was told he missed part of the meeting so couldn't judge. Apparently Peter was told the wrong time for the meeting! It turned out that

had Peter judged and not Brendan the result might have favoured Chris.

Well, those of us who are cynical and have been around contests for a long time suspect that many contests are 'fixed'. What happens

most of the time is that a certain competitor isn't allowed to win. I cite Bev Francis as one such person in the IFBB. No way they were

going to let her win the Ms Olympia. Sergio also placed 8th when he competed in 1984 but he was past his prime.

Dennis was the hardest competitor and had the best abs. His posing let him down. Boyer Coe had the best routine and that is probably

why he placed ahead of Mike. Chris Dickerson gave a superb presentation. What more could anyone say? Just a beautiful physique that night.

Arnold wasn't great at the judging until the posing and comparison rounds. All of a sudden there was the old Arnold looking great in his

posing from front to back. His arms and calves were huge and they helped him look better than he was.

Mike Mentzer looked good by himself but he, Frank and Chris looked small when compared to Arnold. Mike looked the winner in some of his

poses. 5th place was a bitter pill to swallow and he never competed again which was a shame. Frank Zane looked a bit red. Classic physique

and he posed for what seemed like an eternity. He was appreciated but the audience didn't go nuts or anything. 3 times Mr Olympia and

now 3rd place. He somehow 'dropped' his trophy back stage. He didn't want any company at the Hilton, either, and was heard to be crying

in his room!

Paul Graham organised a harbour cruise after the contest. Almost all the competitors and judges were there including Joe Weider.

After viewing my photos and slides I came to accept that Arnold won the contest. His arms and chest dwarfed the others. His thighs

were down but he was really cut up. The competitor who was totally overlooked was Danny Padilla. He wasn't called out for any comparison

among the winners. If you put his photo on a grid then he had the best physique there. His height let him down which was a real shame.

Just some thoughts after 40 years.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2020, 04:40:03 AM »
Roger Walker looked like the only competitor who could match Arnold's size.  Mentzer was mentally weak.  He lost one contest and quit.  He should have kept competing and he easily could have won in 81, 82, 83 and maybe even 84 when Haney was raw.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2020, 04:47:29 AM »
Another photo from 1980. I notice that Mike has part of his left trap atrophied. Perhaps that is partly why he stopped competing?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »
Here is a photo from the Olympia I found. Danny is on the left. Best physique in the lineup.

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2020, 05:50:27 AM »
Another photo from 1980. I notice that Mike has part of his left trap atrophied. Perhaps that is partly why he stopped competing?

I don't think so . . . I believe it was just part of his structure. I had a copy of the 76 Mr. Universe in Montreal which was broadcast by ABC's Wide World of Sports - Oscar State doing the commentary with Bob Beattie commented on it. Wide World of Sports, a show that still to this day has not been equaled.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »

Both Mike and Arnold have one side of their traps flexed differently in that photo.  I think they are twisting the left arm differently in the pose than the right.

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
Both Mike and Arnold have one side of their traps flexed differently in that photo.  I think they are twisting the left arm differently in the pose than the right.

No, see above.

J

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
 :)

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
 :)

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2021, 09:13:15 AM »
Roger Walker looked like the only competitor who could match Arnold's size.  Mentzer was mentally weak.  He lost one contest and quit.  He should have kept competing and he easily could have won in 81, 82, 83 and maybe even 84 when Haney was raw.
Mentzer had no chance in 83 and 84.