Author Topic: Are You A Man?  (Read 2786 times)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
Are You A Man?
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
Are You A Man?

I was talking to a guy at the gym who has made amazing gains lately over the last 3 months, using heavier weights, bigger, same muscularity.  I asked him what he was doing and he told me something I had never heard about before.  He calls it affirmation rep training.  Basically, the idea is that as we are doing our reps we all count them out in our heads.  But he somehow came up with the idea that this was limiting him, especially in lower rep ranges like 6 or below once the weights started getting heavier.  Like he knew he was going to do 6 reps, he'd mentally tell himself this at the beginning and then counting up to 6 or down from 6, he would anticipate that he should be getting tired or the end of the set and often couldn't make the final rep.

He said it was all subconscious to some extent.  But he said he decided to try something else, not counting the reps, but instead saying a word based sentence with the same number of words.  So for 6 reps you would say "My chest is bigger and stronger."  After experimenting a bit with it he also makes the sentences positive affirmations and ones that can always end in something like "yes!" Or "bigger" "stronger" something like that.  This ending turns out to be crucial because subconsciously you want to get to that Yes word.

He told me the various sentences but the only ones I could remember are this one above and the 4 rep sentence "Are you a man?" 

I tried it today and damn if it doesn't change things up a bit.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Re: Are You A Man?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »
I like this.

SO would he say "Are you a man?" Before the rep... the "Yes" after he completed the rep? THe immediately say the next incantation?

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
No, he'd say Are for rep 1, You for rep 2, A for rep 3 and Man for rep four.  Then he says he'd usually be able to grit out one more to get that Yes as a fifth rep.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »
What if the person can't count? How do they know how many words a sentence contains?

X

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »
Thats actually pretty much what I do... Its very rare now that I ever count my reps.  Not for any reason other than since I'm trying to go to failure I don't really see any point in counting.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
What if the person can't count? How do they know how many words a sentence contains?

I think you can google it.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:49 PM »
Thats actually pretty much what I do... Its very rare now that I ever count my reps.  Not for any reason other than since I'm trying to go to failure I don't really see any point in counting.
In your case counting out loud especially backward would probably get you arrested for acts of terrorism.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 12:09:30 AM »
In my head I say:

Raw, anal, no, pulling, out!

(no homo)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 01:56:59 AM »
lol ^

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »
I like this.

SO would he say "Are you a man?" Before the rep... the "Yes" after he completed the rep? THe immediately say the next incantation?

A slow learner are we..? ;)

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 04:02:15 AM »
When Im out running a tell a long story for myself, every word match one step! So if i need to her the end I need to continue running. Then masturbation to peak testolevel meanwhile drinking honey to max out the isulin, and then 17minuts after get my slow protein from muscletech...yeah thats pretty much it! I dont like to overdothings, just keep it simpel!

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »
 ::)

???

::)

???

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:53:53 AM »
Are You A Man?

I was talking to a guy at the gym who has made amazing gains lately over the last 3 months, using heavier weights, bigger, same muscularity.  I asked him what he was doing and he told me something I had never heard about before.  He calls it affirmation rep training.  Basically, the idea is that as we are doing our reps we all count them out in our heads.  But he somehow came up with the idea that this was limiting him, especially in lower rep ranges like 6 or below once the weights started getting heavier.  Like he knew he was going to do 6 reps, he'd mentally tell himself this at the beginning and then counting up to 6 or down from 6, he would anticipate that he should be getting tired or the end of the set and often couldn't make the final rep.

He said it was all subconscious to some extent.  But he said he decided to try something else, not counting the reps, but instead saying a word based sentence with the same number of words.  So for 6 reps you would say "My chest is bigger and stronger."  After experimenting a bit with it he also makes the sentences positive affirmations and ones that can always end in something like "yes!" Or "bigger" "stronger" something like that.  This ending turns out to be crucial because subconsciously you want to get to that Yes word.

He told me the various sentences but the only ones I could remember are this one above and the 4 rep sentence "Are you a man?" 

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 05:11:55 AM »
Are You A Man?

I can see this would work, if u are trying to get 7, your mind is basically telling u to fail around 7

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 05:49:52 AM »
I can see this would work, if u are trying to get 7, your mind is basically telling u to fail around 7

That's exactly it, right there.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:45 AM »
 :o   transtesticle.
F

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
In your case counting out loud especially backward would probably get you arrested for acts of terrorism.

Hahaha! shot before he can count down to one