Author Topic: The Obama didn't go to Paris  (Read 3448 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: The Obama didn't go to Paris
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Why Obama was probably right not to go the Paris rally
By Kathleen Parker

If we can be serious for a moment: The president made an error in judgment by not sending someone with a higher profile than our ambassador to join world leaders Sunday at a solidarity rally in Paris.

The White House has admitted the error.

This more or less sums up the news of the past two days, but you wouldn’t guess it from the coverage and commentary. Based on the nearly 24-hour rehashing of the administration’s failure to assume a more important role at the rally, you’d think the United States had dropped out of NATO.

I’m not usually mistaken for an Obama advocate, but I’m finding it difficult to embrace the direness of his uncharacteristic disobedience to stagecraft. The lead headline in Monday’s New York Daily News instructed the president: “You let the world down.”

Really? The United States has been leading the world in the fight against terror for well over a decade, and the president let down the world by not appearing at a rally?

Don’t get me wrong. The rally was important. Beautiful and profound, it was a consummate expression of the modern world’s commitment to end the madness of terrorism. I loved every moment of it and, as both a reporter and a member of the human race, which are not always mutually exclusive, I longed to be there.

I also would have enjoyed seeing our president among the 44 leaders who attended. But who really doubts the United States’ commitment to fighting terrorism or supporting the French in this moment of crisis? Certainly not the French. Not the terrorists. And certainly not our military men and women who have sacrificed blood and limb in the fight.

Thus, it seems we might reserve our high dudgeon for the murderous actors rather than the administration’s decision to send only U.S. Ambassador Jane Hartley. Poor Hartley. She has been so minimized by President Obama’s critics that chopped liver sneers with contempt.

Realistically, it is entirely possible that Obama’s advisers considered the terrorist threat in France sufficient to keep him away — not out of fear or lack of courage, as some commenters have suggested, but out of an abundance of caution. As important as all leaders are in the conduct of man’s moment on the planet, none is as important to the enemies of freedom as the president of the United States.

Obama the man may not be able to alter the position of stars or rewind the tides, but Obama the president can move crowds — or inspire havoc. All it takes is just one of the thousands of jihadists believed to be living in France to pull a stunt with the U.S. president in attendance and the world teeters.

Moreover, anyone who has traveled with a president knows that preparations are elaborate and time-intensive. Dozens upon dozens of people work weeks or months in advance to plan and arrange such an expedition, coordinating security in the host country, mapping routes and timing details to the minute.

One reporter in Monday’s White House news briefing pointed out that Obama was able to get to Nelson Mandela’s memorial service on short notice. Why not Paris? Press secretary Josh Earnest responded that the Mandela memorial plans had been in the works for years. Spoiler alert: Reporters write important people’s obituaries long before those people die, as well.

More to the point, South Africa hadn’t just suffered a terrorist attack. In fact, it was such a relaxed occasion that one would have been comfortable taking selfies in the middle of the ceremony.

In the grand scheme of things, Obama’s calculation may be unpopular but was probably the right one. No disrespect to France’s ability to handle security around an enormous crowd while still reeling from a terrorist attack, but Obama’s presence unquestionably would have added several more layers of concern, logistical headaches and, not inconceivably, imposed greater risk for the throng.

Attorney General Eric Holder, who was in Paris at the time, would not have been so problematic. Or Vice President Biden could have made the trip. In hindsight, one of them should have filled the void. But beyond the historic optics, there was no rational reason to expect the president to be there. In fact, one could reasonably argue that his going would have been a dereliction of duty, given the potential risks.

What France and other nations need from us is support, sympathy and, most of all, intelligence. Symbolic gestures have their place in diplomacy and war, but sometimes the wiser act is playing it safe.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
Bullshit. It's because he's a sympathizer. He won't even utter the words "Radical Muslin Terrorist" If you can't see this then there's hope you.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
LOL! Coach, you crack me up. Well written article with great points... and that's your response? ::)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
That's what is lacking at Getbig. Any real dialogue. This is a great example. Its like talking to fence posts

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
LOL! Coach, you crack me up. Well written article with great points... and that's your response? ::)

Seriously, what else do you expect.

Most people wouldn't waste 5 seconds trying to engage in a conversation in real life with people like Coach, 333, etc..

Message boards create a way for these idiots to vomit up their fucked up view of the world and have people take them seriously (at least for a certain amount of time)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »

Most people wouldn't waste 5 seconds trying to engage in a conversation in real life with people like Coach, 333, etc..

Message boards create a way for these idiots to vomit up their fucked up view of the world and have people take them seriously (at least for a certain amount of time)

That's poetry, what you just did..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »

Obama is well spoken (when in front of a prompter) but that doesn't make him any less blind. This is the same person who put a hit job on Palin. Look, even the most of the republican commentators and writers won't say it. Do you really think I'm the only one who thinks this guy covers for him own? Yes....these people are his own.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
Look, even the most of the republican commentators and writers won't say it.

HERE is the problem.  Everything is suddenly part of a vast conspiracy, that the haters are too scared to admit, but only some brave internet warriors have the balls to say it huh?

look, how the fck can you trust these republican voices, if you accuse them of covering for obama?   That kind of inconsistency is the problem.   Bush isn't wrong for skipping madrid, but bush is?  They're both wrong, or they're both right.  There is no "well, they both skipped it, but the motivation is what makes it wrong". 

That's just pussy shit right there.  Tha'ts just not having the balls to shit on bush.  They're both right, or they're both wrong.  I think it's fine Bush didn't go.  it's a fcking terror attack zone, we're in 2 wars, our economy sucks, and now we're learning the US capitol was also being targeted at the same time?   all over the news last night.

IMAGINE if obama was overseas playing footsie at a memorial and we're hit here at home.  Imagine the republican outcry.

Shit, there are lots of reasons to hate obama (and bush).  But skipping a memorial isnt' one of them. fuck, i miss the days when repubs weren't so selectively offended.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »

I know, right?  Kathleen Parker is a conservative columnist... and even she gets it.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »

Lol.  Coming from a leftist Bay Area lib that is funny

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »

Lol.  Coming from a leftist Bay Area lib that is funny

What's the term they use in debate when you attack a person to avoid addressing the point the person made?  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »
What's the term they use in debate when you attack a person to avoid addressing the point the person made?  :)

Ad hominem.  For example, attacking someone's kid, calling someone a "queer" or "closet case" pretty much every day, etc.  Or in other words, doing precisely what the Village Idiot does every day.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
I know, right?  Kathleen Parker is a conservative columnist... and even she gets it.  ::)

She has her views, I have mine. I'm more blatant with my views. Like I said, I'm sure more people can't help to think that Obama is in fact one of them, sympathizes with them and makes excuses for them. In other words, they think the same thing I do and won't say it because they're public figures. Let's face it, he released five more detainee's that are from Yemen. Seriously, think about it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
She has her views, I have mine. I'm more blatant with my views. Like I said, I'm sure more people can't help to think that Obama is in fact one of them, sympathizes with them and makes excuses for them. In other words, they think the same thing I do and won't say it because they're public figures. Let's face it, he released five more detainee's that are from Yemen. Seriously, think about it. 

He's broken the law with fast & furious.  Repubs own the house and senate.  Public opinion is behind it.

And you think he's a terr'ist sympathizer?

coach, why the fck do you still not support impeachment?   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
Ad hominem.  For example, attacking someone's kid, calling someone a "queer" or "closet case" pretty much every day, etc.  Or in other words, doing precisely what the Village Idiot does every day.

only when he acts like a self loathing closet queen

I've offered to stop pointing out that he's acting like a self loathing closet queen if he can just stop acting like one

I thought that was a fair offer

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
He's broken the law with fast & furious.  Repubs own the house and senate.  Public opinion is behind it.

And you think he's a terr'ist sympathizer?

coach, why the fck do you still not support impeachment?   

Holy shit dude, you really live up to that top 10 list. Fuck.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
Holy shit dude, you really live up to that top 10 list. Fuck.

we should make a list of people that voted for bill clinton, don't support impeachment, but do support amnesty. 

they'll have to bitch about obama 24/7, but not be willing to kick his ass outta office for it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
Let's make a list of all those who voted for Obama and had their entire family vote for Obama.  I'll start:

So I probably will vote dem.  i'd love to see Obama choose a Wes Clark for a running mate, or a Jim Webb, possibly more likely, for strong military and defense credibility.

My whole family - all Republicans - are voting Obama.  i'm driving them to the station later - buying everyone dinner - making it a real family event.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »

translation _ Everyone really agrees with my psychotic rantings, they just won't say they do"

How convenient... it removes the possibility they don't agree with you, which is why they haven't said it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V