Author Topic: History of Golds 1970-1978 documentary  (Read 17997 times)

mofo1960

• Getbig II
History of Golds 1970-1978 documentary
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:52:00 AM »
Over the last two and half years I have been working on my doc in between my day job and my family life. It started out as a documentary focusing on my time at Golds (1977-1979) with an emphasis on the 1977 Mr A and the parade. As I have made progress I realized with my interviews that I have filmed , it has really become what it probably always should have been. A historical look at Golds from the time it was sold by Gold in 1970 to its popularity under Ken Sprague in the golden age of B.B.
  My last I nterview was with author of Pumping Iron Charles Gaines. Excited to get this done and out there for people to see.
  If anyone has or knows someone who has photos of the original Golds, or 8mm film of that time, or anyone know of the 1977 Tom Snyder interview of guys at Golds that aired in July of 1977, and has video of it , please PM me.

Thanks
Marc

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: 1977 Mr. America Parade Documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
Hello Everyone. I am reaching out to people here on this board who may know, or are people who were members of Gold's Gym when it was located at 1452 2nd Street in Santa Monica where the 1977 Mr. America Parade was held. Do you know someone who was in the parade, were you in the parade, or do you have memorabilia (8mm film, photos, posters, programs) from the event?
 I am an SF Bay Area Documentary Film Maker who is trying to locate as many people as possible involved to interview for the film. I need to shoot a short 'spec" trailer to present to a grant funding panel to get this off the ground and proceed with production.
 If anyone out there is, or has the contact info for Bill Grant, Rudy Hermosillo, Jimmy Flaherty, Larry Jackson, Ken Waller, Tony Pearson, Robby Robinson, Bob Jodkiewicz, Bill Dobbins, Denny Molloy, or anyone else involved, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks!
Marc

What work have you done so far?

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
Hi Jack,
 A proposal has been submitted to certain people in hopes of funding. I have also enlisted a grant writer to solicit grants for production costs.Interviewees have been contacted, and everyone I have contacted is enthusiastic and willing to participate, including the promoter who staged the entire event.
  Do you know any of the people mentioned? Were  you a member of the 2nd St. Golds location and participated or have photos or film of the event? I have been spirited by the fact that it is almost like a spider web effect, where someone knows someone, and they pass on their contact. This helps widen the scope, and also saves me valuable time in trying to track down and locate individuals.
 PM me if you have any contacts you feel comfortable sharing.

Thanks

Marc

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
Hi, Marc. I didn't participate in any of it, no, sad to say. But if you ask around the history board on Getbig, you will probably find some valuable information. The board is moderated by funk51, and he is one of several people that know their who-is-who in this area.

Guys like Robby Robinson, for instance, are still going strong and have web presence with contact info, etc. (he's the subject of regular update threads on this site, in fact)

BTW: If you get a few minutes in the future, please mention some documentary titles you've worked on.

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
Hi Jack
  I was down in LA doing work for the NFL network this past year, and ran into Robby at the Firehouse restaurant in Venice. I also saw Eddie G. there as well.
  I was a member of the 2nd Street Golds from 1978-1980,
So I am trying to track down names of guys who were involved, and guys I remember who were members who might have photos or other memorabilia.
  I have been in broadcast television since 1987, the whole of my producing and editing work has been in news packages as special reports, News promotion topicals, and local shows in the Bay Area (Trackside at Infineon, a nascar show, 49er Playbook, and a news program called second look.) I have done online editing for documentary style programs at the SF PBS station, and edited  segments for a science based show titled "Quest".

Marc

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
Hi Jack
  I was down in LA doing work for the NFL network this past year, and ran into Robby at the Firehouse restaurant in Venice. I also saw Eddie G. there as well.
  I was a member of the 2nd Street Golds from 1978-1980,
So I am trying to track down names of guys who were involved, and guys I remember who were members who might have photos or other memorabilia.
  I have been in broadcast television since 1987, the whole of my producing and editing work has been in news packages as special reports, News promotion topicals, and local shows in the Bay Area (Trackside at Infineon, a nascar show, 49er Playbook, and a news program called second look.) I have done online editing for documentary style programs at the SF PBS station, and edited  segments for a science based show titled "Quest".

Marc

Thank you, Marc. I look forward to seeing the new docu when it's done.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
Original list of names has gone down lots. Looks like progress.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »

Yes! Yesterday and today I had Pete Grymkowski and Ken Waller come aboard.

Marc

Will/do you wait until the grant is secured before using the trailer for promotion (any promotion outside of trying to get the grant itself)?

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
Will/do you wait until the grant is secured before using the trailer for promotion (any promotion outside of trying to get the grant itself)?

No, I'm going to have to shoot a bit of footage and then edit and post a trailer as a selling point to secure or solicit funding. Independent filmmaking at its' resourceful best I guess.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »
No, I'm going to have to shoot a bit of footage and then edit and post a trailer as a selling point to secure or solicit funding. Independent filmmaking at its' resourceful best I guess.

Yeah, I understand you have to do that to get the ball rolling. But given that you'll then possess an item of interest (the "trailer", so to speak), would you have a certain reason or reasons to either release it or contain it, independent of whether you're offered a grant?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
...by the way: when you say "post a trailer", will the panel be viewing in from an online source like Youtube, or will they have a disc copy or what?

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
...by the way: when you say "post a trailer", will the panel be viewing in from an online source like Youtube, or will they have a disc copy or what?

I will most likely send them via email a self contained QuickTime movie they can view on their tablets or home computers. I have music lisencing issues to clear, and so cannot post on a public platform like Vimeo, indie go go, kickstart or anywhere else till I secure the rights. But I want the trailer to sparkle as much as possible so will do a "private" email.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
I will most likely send them via email a self contained QuickTime movie they can view on their tablets or home computers. I have music lisencing issues to clear, and so cannot post on a public platform like Vimeo, indie go go, kickstart or anywhere else till I secure the rights. But I want the trailer to sparkle as much as possible so will do a "private" email.

That answers the question, no doubt about it.

Sounds good, though. I have the feeling it could become a great watch.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 04:51:13 AM »
Mofo...

Go to the Raw-Iron.com forum, Ken Sprague posts there and answers all questions, he's the one who put on that parade/contest...

mofo1960

• Getbig II

OldSchoolLifter

• Getbig II
  • Hobbyist historian of strength/physique training
Re: History of Golds 1970-1978 documentary
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
Ah yes..."Generation Rust".  ;) ;D

Just kidding.  It should be a good film.   Just keep that manhoe Sprague out it as much as humanly possible.

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »
I taped interviews with Pete Grymkowski and Manny Perry recently, and the shooting is done for my doc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n_Yu3RW8sR7j6q6dTf2suFHSi8myHH5m

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15BizFEUDh-aiCzLMtDFS59ODRwKYrWQR