Author Topic: Question about leg curls...  (Read 4105 times)

Knooger

• Getbig V
Question about leg curls...
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
When I do leg curls I prefer to curl my toes toward my body rather than to extend them away. I am trying to figure out what the correct form is.

I've read this but have no fucking clue what it means. " Dorsal flexion of ankle reduces active insufficiency of Gastrocnemius allowing it to assist in knee flexion."

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/LVLyingLegCurlH.html

Should I be pointing my toes in toward my body or try to point them out when doing leg curls?

Will PM cock pics to first Getbigger that can help me with this matter.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
Re: Question about leg curls...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
you reckon it will have a significant effect on your hamstrings?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Cock please.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
you reckon it will have a significant effect on your hamstrings?

Don't know, all I do know is I prefer to do it with my ankles curled in. However I'd rather do it with the most efficient form.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
Cock please.

I cannot provide cock pics until I fully understand which is the correct form and why. However secretly I am hoping you will be the recipient of said photos.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
i doubt it make much difference i rather focus on things like all the way up, slow on the way down.
i do know that with a seated hamcurl i will use my calves more depending on my positioning of the feet (pointed upwards more calves, straight forward neutral seems to take calves out of it)

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
i doubt it make much difference i rather focus on things like all the way up, slow on the way down.
i do know that with a seated hamcurl i will use my calves more depending on my positioning of the feet (pointed upwards more calves, straight forward neutral seems to take calves out of it)

I did some Google search and it seems my way adds the calves into the equation. I guess I don't have a problem working calves and hamstrings on that exercise. It certainly feels better that way.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
point the toes down, think of it like doing a bicep curl, supinate

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
I did some Google search and it seems my way adds the calves into the equation. I guess I don't have a problem working calves and hamstrings on that exercise. It certainly feels better that way.

That is indeed the case.

In reality just do whatever is the most comfortable, I'm sure the activity from the calves is some tiny percentage in the grand scheme of things.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »

It's hard for me to look at your avi and then read your words which strangely aren't ripping the trainer a new asshole.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
Kids are starving in Africa and you're worried about whether to point your toes doing leg curls. 

Just having fun. I think the best bicep femoris exercise you can do are stiff leg deadlifts. I can do leg curls forever but when I do stiff leg deads the hamstrings are hurting. Even back extensions on the hyper extension bench holding weight hits the hams hard. I know the current rage is to do them flat back to around the knees and pull up. I do them old school. I stand on a block so the plates won't hit. I don't lock my knees but they are very slightly bent.  I use straps and lower my self till the bar hits the top of my feet in a slow controlled descent.  I do round my back somewhat. The stretch is fantastic for my lower back and hams. I realize the new school method is to keep the back completely straight lowering the weight to around the knees. I can only report on what I do. Back in the day everyone did them my method standing on a bench or a block.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »
Don't know, all I do know is I prefer to do it with my ankles curled in. However I'd rather do it with the most efficient form.

when you dorsiflex you are recruiting your gastroc ( calf) so you're going to be able to use more wt.

Plantar-flex and perform single leg, also use a good 3 second tempo in the eccentric and explode up on the concentric 

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Kids are starving in Africa and you're worried about whether to point your toes doing leg curls. 

;D :D

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
Thanks to all for the quality advices. I shall be incorporating said advices in my next leg workout.

Cock pics will be sent to all!

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Try to focus on the important stuff stupid. High doses test and consistant in tour legcurl year out year in. How u decide to point tour toes dosent mean shit for your ham development. Jeeezzzz people....

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »
It's a mental/mind thing. Use whatever lets you use the most weight with good mind/muscle control...

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »

I do them your way.  I don't think it affects the hammys at all but it affects the calves in a very small way.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
When I do leg curls I prefer to curl my toes toward my body rather than to extend them away. I am trying to figure out what the correct form is.

I've read this but have no fucking clue what it means. " Dorsal flexion of ankle reduces active insufficiency of Gastrocnemius allowing it to assist in knee flexion."

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/LVLyingLegCurlH.html

Should I be pointing my toes in toward my body or try to point them out when doing leg curls?

Will PM cock pics to first Getbigger that can help me with this matter.
Do sldl, you lazy Knooger. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:08:14 PM »
Do sldl, you lazy Knooger. ::)

My plan it to try all of the suggestions here and see what I like best. I'll try the straight leg deadlifts but have to be careful as I've had back problems in the past.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
My plan it to try all of the suggestions here and see what I like best. I'll try the straight leg deadlifts but have to be careful as I've had back problems in the past.
Does your gym have a hyperextention stand?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
Hey Chief feel free to post some ham/glute shots and we'll have a better idea on how to address your issue.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
careful trying them toes pointed, much harder warm up doing toes pointed as well to assess proper weights and avoid injury.
?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
I do them with toes pointed as close to front of shin as possible, but then locked in that position. All reps are done slowly and full range of motion, no rocking, bouncing, or dry humping the seat pad.

Stiff legged deadlifts are also important.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
Don't you feel vulnerable doing leg curls, like some muscle bear could easily sneak up behind you and mount your ass?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 08:54:37 PM »
Don't you feel vulnerable doing leg curls, like some muscle bear could easily sneak up behind you and mount your ass?

I have a bullseye drawn on the back of my shorts.