Author Topic: California city prohibits gender specific restrooms  (Read 35124 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: California city prohibits gender specific restrooms
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2015, 07:15:34 AM »

I think that probably goes to the heart of the issue.  The basic argument would be framed as whether or not the State has an interest in regulating.

The argument that was put forth is that existing signs on restrooms would disenfranchise people who were born one sex, but identify with another.  To avoid public embarassment, they want the signs removed or changed on individual bathrooms.

That argument kinda falls short though as transgendered people have to face that same choice when entering a multi-person restroom, which I would argue are just as prevelant - or more so - than individual use restrooms.

So, where is the line to be drawn?  'If' the State has an interest in ensuring that transgendered people do not feel embarassment when selecting a restroom to use, why can't the same logic be applied to multi-person restrooms?

Personally, I don't care much.  I'll piss with a woman in the bathroom, and in the VERY rare case I shit in a public bathroom, I could care less who's in the next stall over.  But, it certainly begs the question as to whether or not there should be any designation for any public bathrooms.

I am not so sure where the line should be drawn.  I believe as societies continue to evolve there will be many times where they have go to far one way or another and adjustments are made.  In this case, considering there are already many establishments through out the country that do this sort of thing i don't see it as a big deal, except maybe conflict over the toilet seats. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »
I'm with you on not giving much thought to who is in the next stall. When I was a kid, I didn't like using public restrooms. I grew up and got over it. A very popular upscale restaurant and bar here in Portland, has four restrooms. None of them has any designation. One uses which ever one comes available first.

Public restrooms at places with a lot of people, like a concert hall probably need a designation because women need stalls while most men get by using the urinals. Consequently, women's restrooms need to be somewhat larger then men's restrooms at such places. Some clever women can pee in a urinal, but that isn't a real common sight.

I think going overboard would be requiring all bathrooms in public establishments, like concert halls, airports, big restaurants etc.,  to be accessible for both men and women in a way that would cause all these bathrooms to be remodeled costing millions of dollars.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »
Some restrooms in Europe have restroom attendants, often it is a woman who is actually stationed in the men's restroom near the sinks. One restroom at a restaurant I was at in Koln, Germany where I had dinner was attended by a woman and her young son. No one seemed to take notice at other than to pay for a towel.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
How the heck did this become a national issue overnight?

Obama Orders Public Schools to Open Restrooms to Transgender Students

Image: Obama Orders Public Schools to Open Restrooms to Transgender Students A sticker reading "Keep Locker Rooms Safe" is worn by a person supporting a bill that would eliminate the state of Washington's new rule allowing transgender people to use gender-segregated bathrooms and locker rooms in public buildings consistent with their gender identity, outside a Washington Senate hearing room at the Capitol in Olympia, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
By Todd Beamon   |   Friday, 13 May 2016

The Obama administration on Friday ordered every public school district in the United States to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms that match the gender identity they have chosen.

"No student should ever have to go through the experience of feeling unwelcome at school or on a college campus," Education Secretary John King Jr. told The New York Times in a statement late Thursday.

"We must ensure that our young people know that whoever they are or wherever they come from, they have the opportunity to get a great education in an environment free from discrimination, harassment and violence."

"There is no room in our schools for discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against transgender students on the basis of their sex," Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement accompanying the directive.

The order, signed by the Education and Justice departments,  describes what school districts should do to ensure that no students are discriminated against.

It will not have the force of law, but carries an implicit threat: Schools not abiding by the Obama administration’s interpretation of the law could face lawsuits or a loss of federal aid,.

The decree comes amid the administration's battle with North Carolina over transgender rights and is most likely to renew attacks by Republicans that the White House is involving itself in state issues.

The Justice Department and North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory sued each other over the transgender bathroom law he signed in March.

The law requires transgender people to use the public restroom matching the sex on their birth certificate. The ordinance only applies to schools, universities, government buildings and highway rest stops.

"We didn't think there was a problem at all until the Democrats brought this up in Charlotte, North Carolina," McCrory, 59, a first-term Republican, told Jake Tapper Wednesday on CNN. "We didn't need a bathroom law. We never have asked for a bathroom law."

President Barack Obama condemned the law last month — and Lynch on Monday said it violated the U.S. Civil Rights Act.

"A school may not require transgender students to use facilities inconsistent with their gender identity or to use individual-user facilities when other students are not required to do so," says the letter, a copy of which was provided to the Times.

Under federal law, a school must seek to "ensure nondiscrimination on the basis of sex requires schools to provide transgender students equal access to educational programs and activities even in circumstances in which other students, parents, or community members raise objections or concerns," the letter states.

"As is consistently recognized in civil rights cases, the desire to accommodate others’ discomfort cannot justify a policy that singles out and disadvantages a particular class of students."

Once a child's parent or legal guardian indicates the individual's gender identity that "differs from previous representations or records," according to the letter, the child must be treated accordingly — without any requirement for a medical diagnosis or birth certificate to be produced, according to the letter.

Schools may — though are not required to — provide other restroom and locker room options for students who seek "additional privacy" for whatever reason, the letter states.

The Obama administration is including a 25-page document with the letter describing "emerging practices" currently in place in many schools around the country, the Times reports.

Those included installing privacy curtains or allowing students to change in bathroom stalls, according to the report.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/obama-order-public-school/2016/05/12/id/728608/#ixzz48YPuOuqG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
Texas Governor Vows to 'Fight Back' for North Carolina Law
By Tatum Guinn
May 13, 2016

DALLAS (AP) — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is vowing to help defend North Carolina's law on transgender restrooms — and hinting that a similar measure could be coming soon to his state.

Abbott, a former state attorney general, told delegates at the Texas GOP convention in Dallas on Thursday, "I am working with the governor of North Carolina, and we are going to fight back."

The U.S. Justice Department is suing North Carolina over its new law requiring transgender people to use public bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificates.

Texas Republicans have used the issue to delight conservatives, even though legislative action isn't likely until state lawmakers reconvene in January.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants the Fort Worth school district superintendent to resign over guidelines to accommodate transgender students.

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Greg-Abbott/105735009459445?source=whfrt&position=2&trqid=6284221613876021250

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Texas Governor Vows to 'Fight Back' for North Carolina Law
By Tatum Guinn
May 13, 2016

DALLAS (AP) — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is vowing to help defend North Carolina's law on transgender restrooms — and hinting that a similar measure could be coming soon to his state.

Abbott, a former state attorney general, told delegates at the Texas GOP convention in Dallas on Thursday, "I am working with the governor of North Carolina, and we are going to fight back."

The U.S. Justice Department is suing North Carolina over its new law requiring transgender people to use public bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificates.

Texas Republicans have used the issue to delight conservatives, even though legislative action isn't likely until state lawmakers reconvene in January.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants the Fort Worth school district superintendent to resign over guidelines to accommodate transgender students.

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Greg-Abbott/105735009459445?source=whfrt&position=2&trqid=6284221613876021250

Good. Stop cow towing to the mentally ill and their insanity.

Also, LOL that a mentally ill man wanting to use the women's restroom is considered the biggest and most important "civil rights" fight of our time. What a joke.

Pathetic that this is even considered *insert professional victim group here" rights.

If you don't fight then it gets worse. The end result is normalization of pedophilia, among other things.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
Trump and Hillary are going to be our choices and this is what we are talking bout?

FFS go to the bathroom that corresponds to your genitalia, regardless of how you feel or are dressed.  Can we move on now?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Can't say I like this stupid liberal Gender neutral - Queers - Trannys -- are ok Crap at all.

Though if the Toilets are Single occupancy ones I don't see a problem with it.
The vast majority of Homes have Gender Neutral Loos
That the whole family use.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
How the heck did this become a national issue overnight?

Once the NC state assembly made it a law, it became an issue for the nation.

It wasn't a problem before and now it's a big deal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »

I read the bill and it doesn't sound controversial to me at all.  You use the bathroom associated with your biological gender.  What the heck is happening to this country?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwirrY3kgdjMAhVH0GMKHTuaAZoQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncleg.net%2FSessions%2F2015E2%2FBills%2FHouse%2FPDF%2FH2v1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF7zo_lmULsX18Rk_36kLyhYjrDZw

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
It just seemed a pointless law in the first place to me.

There was no need to bring it up really, which caused a backlash... LGBT rights are at the forefront and this kind of goes against it.

I just don't see why we needed this law made in the first place.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
This is actually something I've raised for years as an issue.  It is something that needs to be addressed, but it shouldn't be some kind of major national public policy issue. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »
I do recall you saying something about it previously.

I simply look at it as another thing that younger people care less about than older people.

As a whole, young people just don't see it as an issue or anything to have policy about.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
I read the bill and it doesn't sound controversial to me at all.  You use the bathroom associated with your biological gender.  What the heck is happening to this country?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwirrY3kgdjMAhVH0GMKHTuaAZoQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncleg.net%2FSessions%2F2015E2%2FBills%2FHouse%2FPDF%2FH2v1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF7zo_lmULsX18Rk_36kLyhYjrDZw

Biological sex.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2016, 06:16:41 PM »

No shit  - You'd think Bum of all people would be aware of how this became a national issue given that his party is the one that did it

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2016, 06:28:02 PM »
All restrooms should be communal, which would solve the problem of which gender they cater to. People who are modest or embarrassed, be they males, females or derivatives thereof can use stalls with a doors or a urinal with high side panels between them. Everyone goes potty, it's not like it is something unusual to do. 

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
All restrooms should be communal, which would solve the problem of which gender they cater to. People who are modest or embarrassed, be they males, females or derivatives thereof can use stalls with a doors or a urinal with high side panels between them. Everyone goes potty, it's not like it is something unusual to do. 

What about showers or gym locker rooms? Should I be able to stroll in with the women and shower with them?  I mean, we all shower as well. It's not like it is something unusual.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »

I hope you're joking.  Didn't you mention having a daughter?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »
"Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."

Purge_WTF

« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
"Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."

Jesus was talking about feeding the poor in those verses.

And yes, this country has lost its collective marbles.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Jesus was talking about feeding the poor in those verses.

And yes, this country has lost its collective marbles.

Jesus was talking about minorities in general, at least that's what I've always been taught.

Lepers, prostitutes, anyone that society deemed "unworthy".

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Oh look. Coach getting more news from Facebook.

Shocking.

::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
Oh look. Coach getting more news from Facebook.

Shocking.

::)

That wasn't news. But for what it's worth...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/05/09/facebook-twitter-mobile-news/

If I take a link from let's say drudge that's on Facebook what difference does it make? It doesn't. Btw, I don't get all of my news from Facebook.