Author Topic: God and Time  (Read 12960 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
God and Time
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
Clock should be irrelevant to an eternal being, right? So why does it matter whether you accept salvation on your deathbed (following a lifetime of rejection) or as an adolescent in Sunday School (followed BY a lifetime of rejection)? Why is it necessary that you time it so you die believing?

God is certainly above human constructs, so why would He care about timing?

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
Re: God and Time
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
he doesnt....

God doesnt give a crap about what you believe... God only cares about how you live your life. You are judged on your spirit and actions, not your beliefs.

Religion = man made

God = universe

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:26:24 PM »
he doesnt....

God doesnt give a crap about what you believe... God only cares about how you live your life. You are judged on your spirit and actions, not your beliefs.

Religion = man made

God = universe

I meant the Christian God, should have specified.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
Clock should be irrelevant to an eternal being, right? So why does it matter whether you accept salvation on your deathbed (following a lifetime of rejection) or as an adolescent in Sunday School (followed BY a lifetime of rejection)? Why is it necessary that you time it so you die believing?

God is certainly above human constructs, so why would He care about timing?

Just answered your PM and then saw this thread.

I think it's a fair question sure.

Here’s a snippet from a response to wiggs a week or so ago:

Believers in Christ are saved by grace through faith in Christ and thereby deemed righteous and justified before the throne of God.  We are saved from God’s wrath and are sanctified by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and subject to his will for our lives.  We forgo of our individual will and align ourselves with his will.   That process of sanctification does not remove our sinful tendencies, but it’s also not a license to sin.  As believers in Christ we adopt a repentant heart and completely turn away from our sin as best we are able.   It’s the Holy Spirit that guides our future walk with our Savior in Christ and helps us to live as the salt and light for the world.  Though we may stumble we are assured that we cannot be snatched from his hand.   A relationship with Christ is about a lifelong journey in which we do all we can to emulate him though we will not escape the trappings of sin until he returns to claim his church.  There is only one that ever existed in the person of Jesus Christ who was without sin.

From the perspective of a believer timing is of the essence in the sense that we aren’t guaranteed another day of life and could die in our sleep tonight and never turn to Christ.  Timing is also important in that we align ourselves with Christ early so that we have time to help others do the same with whatever life we have left.  Salvation in Christ is instant and unchanging for the believer that truly gives his life to Christ (many conversions are nominal or disingenuous). 
The process of sanctifying the believer in Christ is the pursuit that spans the remaining number of their days.

For the believer in Christ this life comes down to one important choice:  to choose him or to deny him.  Certainly we have a myriad number of other choices that we will make, but ultimately our decision about Christ is top of the list.  If a choice to accept Christ comes at an early age or a deathbed it makes no difference…that’s why God’s grace is amazing to me.

Hopefully I answered or at least began to answer your question?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:10 PM »
Just answered your PM and then saw this thread.

I think it's a fair question sure.

Here’s a snippet from a response to wiggs a week or so ago:

Believers in Christ are saved by grace through faith in Christ and thereby deemed righteous and justified before the throne of God.  We are saved from God’s wrath and are sanctified by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and subject to his will for our lives.  We forgo of our individual will and align ourselves with his will.   That process of sanctification does not remove our sinful tendencies, but it’s also not a license to sin.  As believers in Christ we adopt a repentant heart and completely turn away from our sin as best we are able.   It’s the Holy Spirit that guides our future walk with our Savior in Christ and helps us to live as the salt and light for the world.  Though we may stumble we are assured that we cannot be snatched from his hand.   A relationship with Christ is about a lifelong journey in which we do all we can to emulate him though we will not escape the trappings of sin until he returns to claim his church.  There is only one that ever existed in the person of Jesus Christ who was without sin.

From the perspective of a believer timing is of the essence in the sense that we aren’t guaranteed another day of life and could die in our sleep tonight and never turn to Christ.  Timing is also important in that we align ourselves with Christ early so that we have time to help others do the same with whatever life we have left.  Salvation in Christ is instant and unchanging for the believer that truly gives his life to Christ (many conversions are nominal or disingenuous). 
The process of sanctifying the believer in Christ is the pursuit that spans the remaining number of their days.

For the believer in Christ this life comes down to one important choice:  to choose him or to deny him.  Certainly we have a myriad number of other choices that we will make, but ultimately our decision about Christ is top of the list.  If a choice to accept Christ comes at an early age or a deathbed it makes no difference…that’s why God’s grace is amazing to me.

Hopefully I answered or at least began to answer your question?

Replied in PM, thanks.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
he doesnt....

Religion = man made

God = universe

Who voted you gods spokes person?

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
He did actually

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
He did actually

Why would you personify the universe, though?

The cosmos thinks?

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
Why would you personify the universe, though?

The cosmos thinks?

sure it thinks.. God is simply all energy in the universe. God/universe has always existed and is infinite. Everything else is man-made (religion, time, etc)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
sure it thinks.. God is simply all energy in the universe. God/universe has always existed and is infinite. Everything else is man-made (religion, time, etc)

So is personification, though. Why would energy have consciousness? That interpretation is man-made as fuck.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
So is personification, though. Why would energy have a consciousness? That interpretation is man-made as fuck.

ahhh my friend.. just remember this thread when we revert back to only our spiritual energy and leave our mortal form

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
ahhh my friend.. just remember this thread when we revert back to only our spiritual energy and leave our mortal form

I'm sure it'll be my main focus.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »

So God's nature is energy not divinity?  Is this energy conscious?  Is the God energy limited to the scope of the universe?

BEASTZ6

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
I have to go with The Grinch on this one.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »
So God's nature is energy not divinity?  Is this energy conscious?  Is the God energy limited to the scope of the universe?

All energy in the Universe comes from God but is not God's own energy which itself is Divine. God's energy is conscious, not all energy is..

The universe is infinite and has always existed, time itself does not exist. The words "limited" and "universe" should never be used in the same sentence as you would then be saying God Himself is limited.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »
I was teaching some pastors over in Uganda recently, about God in relation to time. I explained it (after a lot of background scripture and building a picture etc) like this: God was before time, and time is something he 'pulled out of his pocket' as his creation (us) needs to live within 'time'. If time was something God came up with to govern principles of his creation, He is not bound by it at all. This is why he can see the beginning and the end at the same time, He doesn't see things in a linear way like we do. If we believe that, then why do we only view His salvation as a linear thing (i.e. 'must repent before my last breath as my 'time' has almost run out' for example) Does the scripture not speak about the Lamb that was slain 'before the foundations of the earth'?

Things that make you go hmmmm lol  ;D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Or... things that make you go "oh boy..... ::)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
I was teaching some pastors over in Uganda recently, about God in relation to time. I explained it (after a lot of background scripture and building a picture etc) like this: God was before time, and time is something he 'pulled out of his pocket' as his creation (us) needs to live within 'time'. If time was something God came up with to govern principles of his creation, He is not bound by it at all. This is why he can see the beginning and the end at the same time, He doesn't see things in a linear way like we do. If we believe that, then why do we only view His salvation as a linear thing (i.e. 'must repent before my last breath as my 'time' has almost run out' for example) Does the scripture not speak about the Lamb that was slain 'before the foundations of the earth'?

Things that make you go hmmmm lol  ;D

I think the manner in which time is expressed aligns directly with the expression of God's divine nature.  

Time is expressed in past, present and future yet all three states are equally "time" and yet they serve different purposes.  

Same with the nature of God expressed in three coequal, coeternal persons in Father, Son and Spirit.  All differently purposed yet all equally one God.

The initiation of the concept of time from God seems consistent in who God is even though we (his creation) are bound by God and time and yet we can't fully grasp all of time and all of God completely.  

Our scope is so completely finite as you noted...."my time is almost up".   Yet Christ existed before time, within time and will also when we exit this life and enter his timeless eternity.

This life is bound by time so that God's good will and purposes can be fulfilled in his creation through Jesus and so that his creation can make a choice to accept or reject him.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

Things that make you go hmmmm lol  ;D

Echoes my original question, yeah?

Anyway, Summer of Death in SoCal. Girlfriend's (ex as of this morning, I guess) mom died two weeks ago, five months after C diagnosis. Her Dad's bandmate loses his wife days later (psychosis/suicide), and she regularly visits two lifelong friends both on their deathbeds: cystic fibrosis (which already killed the friend's twin) and terminal cancer.

Then my best childhood pal loses Mom early this morning. This one really stings. My second mother growing up - they had breakfast Sunday morning, massive stroke hours later. Permanent coma before they get to ER. Left side of brain completely destroyed, rendering a vegetative state. Lasted nine hours after the respirator was removed, passed at 12:30am.

Soul tally: two saves, one damned, one unknown. And one thought she was Jesus, so either saved herself or 86ed for blasphemy. Good times.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »
Echoes my original question, yeah?

Anyway, Summer of Death in SoCal. Girlfriend's (ex as of this morning, I guess) mom died two weeks ago, five months after C diagnosis. Her Dad's bandmate loses his wife days later (psychosis/suicide), and she regularly visits two lifelong friends both on their deathbeds: cystic fibrosis (which already killed the friend's twin) and terminal cancer.

Then my best childhood pal loses Mom early this morning. This one really stings. My second mother growing up - they had breakfast Sunday morning, massive stroke hours later. Permanent coma before they get to ER. Left side of brain completely destroyed, rendering a vegetative state. Lasted nine hours after the respirator was removed, passed at 12:30am.

Soul tally: two saves, one damned, one unknown. And one thought she was Jesus, so either saved herself or 86ed for blasphemy. Good times.

I think too that the righteousness of God demands that we too be made righteous before we can eternally dwell with him.  

Further, we're given the ability to sin or not to sin for a time.  And as scripture and life have fully demonstrated our humanity includes a proclivity for sin.  

God knows we'll choose to defy him; further, we see instances in scripture of entire populations being allowed to exist completely in sin until that sin grows into it's fullness bringing the population to a fully reprobate status and then God pronounces judgment upon them.  

Our lives are an opportunity to accept or reject God.....to choose our way or his way......to willfully sin or willfully choose to align ourselves with his laws.  The problem of evil is not God's....it's ours.   God allowed the potential for evil, but provided the means to overcome it through Jesus Christ.  The problem is resolved one soul at a time.

This existence is made contingent upon time because God is allowing us to willfully sin for a time, but more importantly to make an honest, genuine choice to accept or reject him.    The nature of God is divinity and that divinity is righteous and that righteousness demands that sin be made right and that we be made right before we can be aligned with him.   God will not allow sin to exist in perpetuity.