Author Topic: Stuff That Takes You Out of the Match  (Read 19877 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Stuff That Takes You Out of the Match
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
Whenever a wrestler has his opponent against the ropes or in the corner, and is about to whip him across the ring, you almost always see him whisper into the other wrestler's ear. While we know it's a work, this ruins the suspension of disbelief.

WoogsRaven

• Getbig III
  • Whisper sumthin nice and I'll make ya scream twice
Re: Stuff That Takes You Out of the Match
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
Whenever a wrestler has his opponent against the ropes or in the corner, and is about to whip him across the ring, you almost always see him whisper into the other wrestler's ear. While we know it's a work, this ruins the suspension of disbelief.

You see it all the time on RAW. Especially now since every network has gone to High Def. But not only that, the WWE shows are playing before smaller audiences that have no juice. Hardly any good pops or good heel heat nowadays. You can pick up nearly every sound made by the wrestlers during a match.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
when a guy gets picked up, turned upside down in the corner, yet is suddenly "trapped" can't get down or out of the corner. That is just soooo stupid and have to laugh at that shit.

Or when the guy gets wipped into the ropes but keeps running back and forth until he gets clobbered. Soooo stupid.

?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Botches...especially when its done by WWE standards today a top tier performer.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
For me these days when I've watched is interference during a match. Just someone coming out. I'm fine w/ a run to the ring and stomping but the whole theme music, self jerking off slow walk just makes me change the channel.
$

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
For me these days when I've watched is interference during a match. Just someone coming out. I'm fine w/ a run to the ring and stomping but the whole theme music, self jerking off slow walk just makes me change the channel.

At one time, HBK's foot-stomping prelude to "Sweet-chin-music" was the biggest telegraph in the industry.

Not no more!!

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »

At one time, HBK's foot-stomping prelude to "Sweet-chin-music" was the biggest telegraph in the industry.

Not no more!!

I liked when he'd tune up the band, it brought an intensity to the spot.

I hate commercials during a match. All other sports are on a break or intermission but wwe just goes to 3 minutes of rest holds.

For once I'd love a match to end whole  they're on a break.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
I liked when he'd tune up the band, it brought an intensity to the spot.

The best parody of that was when Foley did the same lead-up, side-stepped across the ring, kicked his opponent below the knee, and they coined it "Sweet 'Shin' Music."

F*cking brilliant!!
I LOVED that time in wrestling!!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
Anytime "The Authority" is listed or shown.  Uggghhhh.  No one gives a shit about you.

Run ins that occur while the interfering wrestler's theme music plays.

Anything done by Randy Orton - that dude is boring as hell.

The New Day -'nuff said.

The pause that occurs after grabbing a throat and delivering (or trying to) a chokeslam.

Divas.

JBL talking.

Daniel Bryans overuse of kicks.

Undertaker's walking on the ropes.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:26:39 AM »
Anytime "The Authority" is listed or shown.  Uggghhhh.  No one gives a shit about you.

I feel the same way about the entire roster on RAW, Smackdown, and all of the PPV's.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
WHEN the ref is in there or on count ,you can tell he's trying to move match or get wrestlers to wrap it up...I hated yrs back the scotty'too hotty'the worm ,,imagine laying there for the few seconds as he wormed his way toward you for his 'spot'..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
I hated yrs back the scotty'too hotty'the worm ,,imagine laying there for the few seconds as he wormed his way toward you for his 'spot'..

ROFLMFAO!!!

I take back my above statement. "The Worm" was the industry's biggest telegraph!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
I must admit that I marked out for "The Worm."

It's not something that fills me with pride :'(

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

ROFLMFAO!!!

I take back my above statement. "The Worm" was the industry's biggest telegraph!
;D,,,,ya see.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 07:22:41 AM »
Ron Garvin's "Garvin Stomp" was the longest set up in wrestling for such a cheesy finishing move (knock out punch) afterwards.  Yeah the Rock has a long set up routine for the People's Elbow, but at least he is entertaining.

From the days past....   (perfect example is Boogie Woogie Man here), the baby face has a long extended run of offense, high energy levels, etc..  but after taking one punch to the stomach they drop like a bus just hit them.  BWM would then proceed to roll around and twitch his legs all over the place like some kind of kitchen mixer that had fallen on it's side. 

Or after getting shit kicked for half an hour, the baby face makes a hot tag to his partner and within 30 seconds of standing on the ring apron, he is back "on fire" again and ready to be tagged back in.   ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
Know a lot of guys give Hunter shit, but he's always been one of my favorite workers.

One of my favorite traits of his was, when leaving the ring after a thorough ass-kicking, he continued selling all the way to the back until COMPLETELY out of view of the audience and/or cameras. So many wrestlers don't do that, and I think it's an important element to the performance.

WoogsRaven

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Know a lot of guys give Hunter shit, but he's always been one of my favorite workers.

One of my favorite traits of his was, when leaving the ring after a thorough ass-kicking, he continued selling all the way to the back until COMPLETELY out of view of the audience and/or cameras. So many wrestlers don't do that, and I think it's an important element to the performance.

You're very right. As much as I dislike Paul....He is a terrific worker and always has been. He eats, sleeps, breathes the wrestling business and always has. I've always admired the way he's come back from two blown quads, among various other injuries, to continue to carry the ball. And still train like an animal at age 45.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
You're very right. As much as I dislike Paul....He is a terrific worker and always has been. He eats, sleeps, breathes the wrestling business and always has. I've always admired the way he's come back from two blown quads, among various other injuries, to continue to carry the ball. And still train like an animal at age 45.

He also completely dedicated himself to whatever role he was playing.

Guys like Nash and Razor would play heel, but still use catch phrases, etc. to get pops. It's hard not to. Everybody likes being cheered. But, when Hunter was a bad guy, he abandoned EVERYTHING that endeared him to the fans in favor of being a complete prick.

He was also capable of plowing pre-op Chyna while on Deca. If nothing else, ya gotta give the man props for that feat!!

WoogsRaven

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »

Guys like Nash and Razor would play heel, but still use catch phrases, etc. to get pops. It's hard not to. Everybody likes being cheered. But, when Hunter was a bad guy, he abandoned EVERYTHING that endeared him to the fans in favor of being a complete prick.

He was also capable of plowing pre-op Chyna while on Deca. If nothing else, ya gotta give the man props for that feat!!

To quote Scott Steiner," Fuckin brutal!"

I will not give him props for that. Stephanie McMahon must look at him sometimes and go, "what the fuck were you thinking?"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »

ROWDY RODDY PIPER WAS GREAT AT THAT AS WELL..SNEER COMNG DOWN TO RING,IN THE RING AND WHEN LEAVING,,LIKE HE WANTED TO PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE CROWN RIGHT IN THE FACE...WRESTLEMANIA 1 HE WAS GREAT...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
ROWDY RODDY PIPER WAS GREAT AT THAT AS WELL..SNEER COMNG DOWN TO RING,IN THE RING AND WHEN LEAVING,,LIKE HE WANTED TO PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE CROWN RIGHT IN THE FACE...WRESTLEMANIA 1 HE WAS GREAT...

Always loved Piper & Macho as heels. That was their best work, IMO.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »

Run ins that occur while the interfering wrestler's theme music plays.

Anything done by Randy Orton - that dude is boring as hell.

The New Day -'nuff said.
The pause that occurs after grabbing a throat and delivering (or trying to) a chokeslam.

Divas.

JBL talking.

Daniel Bryans overuse of kicks.

Undertaker's walking on the ropes.
That right there is a complete waste of talent. "A New Day" ... gimme a break.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
That right there is a complete waste of talent. "A New Day" ... gimme a break.

That's it...

Time to resurrect my gimmick!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »

That's it...

Time to resurrect my gimmick!!
Its all about the scrubs and a power drill my friend!  :D ;)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »
The industrys biggest ever telegraph was Hogan's hulking up routine. Didnt change in the slightest for probably a decade, and once he kicked out you knew the routine right until the final most muscular pose in celebration.

I cant stand anything they throw out today, the crowds are as piss poor as the performers. Ive seen rowdier, more involved crowds on day time talk shows.