Author Topic: Stuff That Takes You Out of the Match  (Read 19850 times)

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Stuff That Takes You Out of the Match
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
The industrys biggest ever telegraph was Hogan's hulking up routine. Didnt change in the slightest for probably a decade, and once he kicked out you knew the routine right until the final most muscular pose in celebration.

I cant stand anything they throw out today, the crowds are as piss poor as the performers. Ive seen rowdier, more involved crowds on day time talk shows.

You watch day time talk shows? LOL!
Kidding... But I was so damn set on being a wrestler until I got a taste of it match wise in my early 20's. Used to train in my basement at the age of 12 watching Hogan and company was determined go get big like them and be the next "show stopper"

No idea how they're gonna bring wrestling back. The Attitude era was so bad ass, I'd never miss raw, even taped it!
?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 02:02:52 AM »
One thing that has gotten me is the really big guys like Kane, Khali, Big Show; when they made their debuts they were these totally untouchable unstoppable forces. Fast forward a few months/matches and they are being tossed around just like the average sized wrestler.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 05:18:50 AM »
One thing that has gotten me is the really big guys like Kane, Khali, Big Show; when they made their debuts they were these totally untouchable unstoppable forces. Fast forward a few months/matches and they are being tossed around just like the average sized wrestler.
rusev now too...how about mark henry him too..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
rusev now too...how about mark henry him too..

I think it's too hard/impossible to keep someone a "spectacle" when they are on TV every week. Years ago, guys like Andre were treated as special attractions. I honestly believe that overexposure is killing that type of gimmick now.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
For the last decade its been 5-6 weeks of tv show matchups leading to a PPV match. This then leads to a rematch on Raw / SD & then another at the following PPV. Its never ending, repetitive and dull.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
For the last decade its been 5-6 weeks of tv show matchups leading to a PPV match. This then leads to a rematch on Raw / SD & then another at the following PPV. Its never ending, repetitive and dull.

I can remember watching a cage match between Angle & Benoit on either RAW or Smackdown. it was an incredible match loaded with intense and spectacular high spots and great storytelling. Chris did a diving head-but and Kurt did a moonsault - both from the tops frame of the cage!!

Although thoroughly impressed, I recall my enthusiasm being heavily laced with confusion and disbelief as to why the Fed would ever give away a match of this caliber "for free." I give mucho credit to both men, but looking back, I can easily see how they both became burned out.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
The Hogan / Warrior build up was incredible. Both saving each other from 'Quake & Bravo and almost coming to blows each time. Not a single punch throw until they finally met at Mania. You will NEVER get that kind of build up again.

Ive seen some incredible matched on TV between guys, as you say these were given away for free. Wrestlers always have to better the last performance so, yes, i see how they burn out at the top very quickly. Shame.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
Anytime "The Authority" is listed or shown.  Uggghhhh.  No one gives a shit about you.

Run ins that occur while the interfering wrestler's theme music plays.

Anything done by Randy Orton - that dude is boring as hell.

The New Day -'nuff said.

AAAAAAAAH! LURKERRRRRR!!!!

DON'T YOU DARE BE SOUR!

CLLLLAP FOR YOUR 2-TIME CHAMPS

AND FEEEEEEEEEL THE POOOOOOWERRRRR!

Even Stephanie and Hunter are feeling it.

;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
When only Europeans do European uppercuts.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »
Ok, I am hip to New Day now.   I have to admit they took a shitty gimmick that Vince gave them (probably for his own amusement) and got it over.   The only other people I know that could get stupid gimmicks over white hot were Eddie G and Jericho. 

Things that take me out of the match...

Jim Ross.  Can't stand his announcing.  Years ago, I would actually watch it on Mute unless Flair, Rude, Road  Warriors, Anderson, Jake, etc.. were doing an interview if Ross was on the mic.  I used to wish that someone would slap the shit out of him for his nonstop Steve Williams promoting. 

Now days... when they have a trainer to come in and check on the wrestler and the opponent just stands there waiting.   Cena is the worst at getting this treatment.  WTF?  Could you imaging Tully or Ox Baker or the Spoiler or Freebirds standing by while their opponent was laying on the mat awaiting a check up?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
Ok, I am hip to New Day now.   I have to admit they took a shitty gimmick that Vince gave them (probably for his own amusement) and got it over.   The only other people I know that could get stupid gimmicks over white hot were Eddie G and Jericho. 

Jim Ross.  Can't stand his announcing.  Years ago, I would actually watch it on Mute unless Flair, Rude, Road  Warriors, Anderson, Jake, etc.. were doing an interview if Ross was on the mic.  I used to wish that someone would slap the shit out of him for his nonstop Steve Williams promoting. 

Now days... when they have a trainer to come in and check on the wrestler and the opponent just stands there waiting.   Cena is the worst at getting this treatment.  WTF?  Could you imaging Tully or Ox Baker or the Spoiler or Freebirds standing by while their opponent was laying on the mat awaiting a check up?
JUST THE LAST LINE OF WRESTLERS U MENTIONED MAN WHERE HAS TIME GONE AND SHAME THEY AREN'T BUILT LIKE THAT ANYMORE ...

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 05:06:07 AM »

That's because IMO now they are all pansies. In the 70's and 80's, you were obligated to wrestle or you didn't get paid. Plain and simple. You had your salary but you made your real money by collecting on the gate and if the headliners of the show couldn't draw, you got fuck all as a payout. Hence why Jay Strongbow called Hogan the "golden goose" in the eighties. Every time he headlined a show, he laid another "golden egg" and the boys all made serious money. Now, they get a little scratch and they are out for 5 months and not worrying because they collect "a downside guarantee" which they never had back then.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »
They use the trainers checking up on the wrestlers in a match to give it a "realistic" feel.

Nobody buys into that shit.