Author Topic: what i'd like to see right now........  (Read 4206 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
what i'd like to see right now........
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
 ;D    would like to see a book of all jobbers and their stories in and out of the ring... a chapter devoted to each guy..... i think it would be interesting. rolling stone mag believe it or not is doing this on their website. so far they covered jim powers and barry horowitz.....
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: what i'd like to see right now........
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
I would expect to read a lot of bitterness in a book like that.

Hell, look at how jaded and cynical Piper's and Bret's books are; and they were extremely fortunate and successful in the industry for many years!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
I'd guess most of the true jobbers had day jobs and did wrestling mainly for the excitement and a few extra bucks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
I'd guess most of the true jobbers had day jobs and did wrestling mainly for the excitement and a few extra bucks.

Correct.

It was common to see guys making $35-$50/night.
Actually...it still is in many locales.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
My one buddy was so pissed after receiving only $40 to get color during his match AND volunteering to help break down the ring at the end of the night.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
My one buddy was so pissed after receiving only $40 to get color during his match AND volunteering to help break down the ring at the end of the night.
when i was in college early 70's i got 10 bucks to take down the ring and i didn't even have to bleed. that and any time i wanted i could get in for free just had to mention dominick's name..... never found out who dominick actually was. figured dominic denucci but who knows.allentown pa.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
Jesus....talk about paying your dues...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
when i was in college early 70's i got 10 bucks to take down the ring and i didn't even have to bleed. that and any time i wanted i could get in for free just had to mention dominick's name..... never found out who dominick actually was. figured dominic denucci but who knows.allentown pa.

It may have been DeNucci. He lived in Freedom, PA, which is in Beaver county and not far from Pittsburgh Intl. Airport. Allentown is almost a straight line eastward from Freedom, almost the length of the state.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
Jesus....talk about paying your dues...

Yeah...
Unfortunately, it never paid off for him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
I would expect to read a lot of bitterness in a book like that.

Hell, look at how jaded and cynical Piper's and Bret's books are; and they were extremely fortunate and successful in the industry for many years!
Piper actually thought he drew WM1  ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »

Yep.

Probably still does!

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »

Yep.

Probably still does!

He does. Very interesting dude. I always thought his "character" was an act and his gimmick but I think that's who he really is. I know he broke in the hard way and that he was very young.  I think those two factors are the major reasons he sounds so disillusioned and angry today, as if he's always nervous someone is trying to work him over.

I heard Scott Hall once went in on him for not being willing to put over Savage during his WCW run ( Hogan also claims that Piper wouldn't job to him during his 80s run, that being said good for Piper,  he wasn't going to be another hogan statistic).

No doubt the guy was an all timer and a legend, probably as big of one as he thinks,  but he thinks the legend grows as each year passes, but it only is fading.

Piper, Warrior and Brett, and to a lesser extent Superstar Graham, make curious subjects to the wrestling industry.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
Piper just lacks something. He's normal in a way that makes him completely like an everyman. He was never physically big, never had any crazy skills. The ONLY thing he really had was a kilt and he's not even Scottish. He always seemed like he took everything way to seriously like he isn't in on the joke it's supposed to be fun.
$

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:12 AM »
Good observations in the two posts above!

Piper was indeed an "average joe" in a giant's business, and so he did have to work much harder to stand out. And, I can also certainly understand his paranoia and obsession with protecting his image, standing, and profession because of it.

On a side note: Piper was born in Canada, but I believe he is legitimately of Scottish ancestry, and is also a very decent bagpipe player. In fact, Fred Blassie pulled a rib on Roddy during his first WWWF tryout: Piper went to do his pre-match gimmick of performing the Scottish anthem on his bagpipes, but no sound would come out. The fans started booing, but not the good kind. It killed Piper's shot at getting into the territory. It would be about five years before he got another chance.

Anyway, after the match, Roddy discovered wads of toilet paper stuffed in the pipe's canter (I think that's what it's called). And, years later, he also he learned it was Blassie who did the deed.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
That would be a great book. Frankie Williams, Duko of Dorchester (Pete Doherty), Iron Mike Sharpe, etc...
I used to like watching the Duke and Sharpe, entertaining...

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Piper just lacks something. He's normal in a way that makes him completely like an everyman. He was never physically big, never had any crazy skills. The ONLY thing he really had was a kilt and he's not even Scottish. He always seemed like he took everything way to seriously like he isn't in on the joke it's supposed to be fun.

If you can watch him in Legends House (I get that a lot of this is scripted, but Piper seems like he's trying to work himself, like this show is a punishment).

I've also listened to his podcast a couple times, he seems odd, and you've nailed it, he doesn't get the joke.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Good observations in the two posts above!

Piper was indeed an "average joe" in a giant's business, and so he did have to work much harder to stand out. And, I can also certainly understand his paranoia and obsession with protecting his image, standing, and profession because of it.

On a side note: Piper was born in Canada, but I believe he is legitimately of Scottish ancestry, and is also a very decent bagpipe player. In fact, Fred Blassie pulled a rib on Roddy during his first WWWF tryout: Piper went to do his pre-match gimmick of performing the Scottish anthem on his bagpipes, but no sound would come out. The fans started booing, but not the good kind. It killed Piper's shot at getting into the territory. It would be about five years before he got another chance.

Anyway, after the match, Roddy discovered wads of toilet paper stuffed in the pipe's canter (I think that's what it's called). And, years later, he also he learned it was Blassie who did the deed.
I think a lot of Piper's anger is due to the fact that he was homeless for the longest time jumping from place to place and in a huge way. When he broke into wrestling he was only 16 and the elders in the business treated him like shit. Using him as a gofer to get sandwiches telling him the deli was around the corner meanwhile it was 30 miles away and he'd have to hitch hike...crazy shit.