Author Topic: New England snow roll call  (Read 12553 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: New England snow roll call
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2015, 07:10:21 AM »
So, we have the storm tonight. That'll probably bring 12"-18" and then GFS has another Nor'easter dumping vast amounts of snow on Wednesday. NE Peeps, you will never again -- God willing -- see another winter like this. Just insane.

It seems like there's a weather pattern that keeps repeating. I'm 50 and I don't remember any NE major city getting hit with 12-18" storms that many times in a single winter.

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Happy Valentines Day!  :D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
 ;D  only animals that like this type of weather..... that and polar bears...
F

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »
Bummer how many boots/shoes are made OUS! My kicking around boots are the American made Red Wings and you can't kill them!

I always wore Redwings out in the field. They last for years!

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
WalterWhite, AJ and I must grab a beer / lunch soon and discuss GetBig activities.

Sounds good if we can ever dig out of this mess!

It seems like there's a weather pattern that keeps repeating. I'm 50 and I don't remember any NE major city getting hit with 12-18" storms that many times in a single winter.

I'm with you and it's making the blizzard of 78 seem mild!

I always wore Redwings out in the field. They last for years!

My buddy owns a moving company and that's all he wears too. They aren't cheap but usually have a sale once a year.  

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
Baffin is the most popular brand among Ice Fisherman:

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
This is funny (but true)!  :o

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »

LOL, could be a long, lost brother of mine,  living up in my old home state of NH ;D

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:30 PM »
LOL, could be a long, lost brother of mine,  living up in my old home state of NH ;D

He is a really funny guy and says what we are all thinking when we hear the NH forecast!

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »

That's funny, but that's a Maine accent for sure.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 05:56:35 AM »
We are getting crushed again today.  My buddy had a cyclone fence around his back yard...whole back lawn is full to the top of the fence.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2015, 06:03:35 AM »
We are getting crushed again today.  My buddy had a cyclone fence around his back yard...whole back lawn is full to the top of the fence.

Up here isn't too bad. Since it started yesterday, we've only gotten about 8". That said, it ain't over yet. The wind is making some interesting problems. Hoping we don't lose power with the raging cold about to descend on us.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2015, 06:16:37 AM »
Up here isn't too bad. Since it started yesterday, we've only gotten about 8". That said, it ain't over yet. The wind is making some interesting problems. Hoping we don't lose power with the raging cold about to descend on us.

Yeah - the wind is making this look much worse than it actually is.  Unreal....this snow won't be fully melted until about May.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
Yeah - the wind is making this look much worse than it actually is.  Unreal....this snow won't be fully melted until about May.

I'm already worried about the spring thaw floods. The rivers around here bloat after regular winters...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:15 AM »
I'm already worried about the spring thaw floods. The rivers around here bloat after regular winters...

Yeah...as stated, my whole fight has been to keep the part of the roof where we get ice damage in the best shape possible.   We finally re did the room - paint/carpet, some custom storage benches, etc....if it gets hit again this will be bad.
Y

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
Yeah...as stated, my whole fight has been to keep the part of the roof where we get ice damage in the best shape possible.   We finally re did the room - paint/carpet, some custom storage benches, etc....if it gets hit again this will be bad.

That's a pain in the ass.

I don't know how you're attacking it, but one technique is to attach a brush or a scraper to a Painter's extension pole, and hit it that way.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
That's a pain in the ass.

I don't know how you're attacking it, but one technique is to attach a brush or a scraper to a Painter's extension pole, and hit it that way.

Too much damn snow for a standard rake. I'm gonna have to get up there with a shovel in the few places where it's becoming concerning.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:31 AM »
Install a galv steel roof.  Add a heating option to the plenum if you want.  Shingles are an unsuitable roofing material for freezing conditions.  Every year you hear the lamentations of the homeowners.  Why they continue to be used when ply & shingle is more expensive than steel is a mystery.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:55 AM »

:o

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
Too much damn snow for a standard rake. I'm gonna have to get up there with a shovel in the few places where it's becoming concerning.

Do you have any salt left?

If so, you could throw some up there to soften up the snow/ice before attacking it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
Install a galv steel roof.  Add a heating option to the plenum if you want.  Shingles are an unsuitable roofing material for freezing conditions.  Every year you hear the lamentations of the homeowners.  Why they continue to be used when ply & shingle is more expensive than steel is a mystery.

Would be a massive expense.    So far, the $70 heating coil I've put up there is doing the trick.  I also have a coupler so I can attach a garden hose to my upstairs bathroom, then use a gutter cleaner attachment to spray hot water up and into any ice spots I want to manage.

New roof would be idea.  My house is under 15 years old, and the builder did some really poor work in spots, mostly with the roof.
Y

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2015, 07:29:47 AM »
Would be a massive expense.    So far, the $70 heating coil I've put up there is doing the trick.  I also have a coupler so I can attach a garden hose to my upstairs bathroom, then use a gutter cleaner attachment to spray hot water up and into any ice spots I want to manage.

New roof would be idea.  My house is under 15 years old, and the builder did some really poor work in spots, mostly with the roof.

Unless you've got a cut up roof you could probably DIY when the time comes.  Even good shingles might be on the way out after 15 years.

Bathroom hose connection nuthin'.  Cylinder, CO2, mapp gas bottle, fuel, hose, metering valve, trigger gun.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
Unless you've got a cut up roof you could probably DIY when the time comes.  Even good shingles might be on the way out after 15 years.

Bathroom hose connection nuthin'.  Cylinder, CO2, mapp gas bottle, fuel, hose, metering valve, trigger gun.

I made the exact same thing in the video, but decided to stick with the hot water this time.  Steel roof installation might change my mind, as it would resist the flames.

Can't do this one myself - too high up, too steep an angle.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:10 AM »
The wife put together some Getbigger fuel: a haunch of beef with some potatoes and carrots, beef stock and some salt and pepper. Eight hours to go!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »
Well ok but a needle valve at the gun's inlet would really let you fine tune the flow so nothing gets overtoasted.  When you try diesel through the airless paint sprayer let me know if it works!  Handles oil paints & solvents.  Probably tolerate it fine.

:D