Author Topic: white people...  (Read 6173 times)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
Re: white people...
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
I`m sure she was well aware and briefed of what could happen and the situation she was getting into.  She was with Doctors Without Borders.  No indication she was religious at all.  Woman is a true hero.

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=119744

Prescott woman gives aid to Syrian refugees

A man searching for his Syrian family after their refugee camp in Turkey was bombed was reunited with a 6-year-old relative thanks to Prescott resident Kayla Mueller.

After looking frantically for missing family members, he eventually found an 11-year-old girl alive at a hospital, but learned his wife had died, and could not find the boy.

The man turned to Mueller, who works in Turkey with the international humanitarian aid agency Support to Life. He gave her a video image of the boy, and she later found him after he came out of surgery at another hospital.

Mueller spoke Wednesday about her experiences to the Prescott Kiwanis Club, where her father Carl Mueller is a member.

"This story is not rare in Syria," Mueller said. "This is the reality for Syrians two and a half years on. When Syrians hear I'm an American, they ask, 'Where is the world?' All I can do is cry with them, because I don't know."

Mueller said after learning more about the situation in Syria, she was drawn to help and finds now she "can't do enough."

Mueller said she's heard of children being hurt by unexploded bombs, women being forced into early marriages, and children being forced to fight for both sides.

Children as young as 8 are working because there's no access to school, Mueller added, as schools have been targeted by the Syrian government for bombing. People who have lost their homes to the bombs and fighting are living in groups in caves and large businesses, Mueller said.

"Syrians are dying by the thousands, and they're fighting just to talk about the rights we have," Mueller said.

"For as long as I live, I will not let this suffering be normal. (I will not let this be) something we just accept," Mueller said. "It's important to stop and realize what we have, why we have it and how privileged we are. And from that place, start caring and get a lot done."

As part of her work, Mueller draws, paints and plays with Syrian children in the refugee camps and helps with psycho-social interventions.

"We give and get joy from playing with these children," Mueller said.

During one activity, Mueller said they asked the Syrian children to draw their ideal place, and each child drew his or her own home.

"They told us everything about their house," Mueller said. "They said, 'There's a tree in front of my house that I climb.' 'There's this squeaky door that my dad never fixed.'

"Half the 1.5 million refugees the U.N. has registered are children," Mueller continued. "In the chaos of waking up in the middle of the night and being shelled, we're hearing of more children being separated from their families by accident."

Kiwanis Member Kurt Vogel asked what actions Mueller would recommend.

"A no-fly zone over refugee camps would be number one," Mueller said.

The U.S. is one of the biggest donors to humanitarian relief, but Mueller said she believes the media is not portraying the situation accurately, because people would react if they saw what she has.

"The people of the United States would see that something needs to be done," Mueller said.

Mueller also works with a nongovernment organization whose name translates to Dignity to help Syrian refugee women develop the skills they need to support themselves and their family. For more information about the project and how to help, email mitzi_denali@yahoo.com.

nice that you care for Syrian children, perhaps extend same compassion to palestine.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »

if true wtf was she doing over there, too stupid to realize that in muslim middle east there are only two structures dictatorships and theocracies, the former keeps radicalism in check

'Perhaps we didn't appreciate fully enough the depth of the hatred and the complexity of the problems that made the Middle East such a jungle. Perhaps the idea of a suicide car bomber committing mass murder to gain instant entry to Paradise was so foreign to our own values and consciousness that it did not create in us the concern for the marines' safety that it should have.

In the weeks immediately after the bombing, I believe the last thing that we should do was turn tail and leave. Yet the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics forced us to rethink our policy there. If there would be some rethinking of policy before our men die, we would be a lot better off. If that policy had changed towards more of a neutral position and neutrality, those 241 marines would be alive today.' oldman reagan

Silly lefty getting a wake up call to the worlds realities.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »

Silly lefty getting a wake up call to the worlds realities.

I think she was well aware of the dangers, otherwise she would not have been there in the first place. from what I have read about her, she has had other experience of going into bad places and doing aid work. she was well aware of the realities of the world which is why she engages in this sort of work.
X

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
nice that you care for Syrian children, perhaps extend same compassion to palestine.

why, nice (10 m high) concrete walls protect them from harsh desert wind  :)

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »
Workplace violence.
A

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »

i don't see syrian teenagers throwing cinderblocks at cars on the highway full of women and children.

imagine if they had AKs.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
I think she was well aware of the dangers, otherwise she would not have been there in the first place. from what I have read about her, she has had other experience of going into bad places and doing aid work. she was well aware of the realities of the world which is why she engages in this sort of work.

Was she really aware of the dangers, I meat time and time again we have seen these aid workers kidnapped and killed. Their help is not appreciated. Whilst my comment was off the cuff and somewhat frivolous, the concept of doing aid work in these countries is like "pissing against the wind" its pointless.
Im not trying to belittle her efforts, for sure the desire to go and help other people in times of need is a good thing, and the world would be a worse place without those people, but trying to help a people who neither want the help, nor will benefit from it, is a waste of time.

Its like sending aid to africa and supporting charities, what are you supporting. Keep giving food to a people who cant control their rate of reproduction, keep feeding them just enough so they keep on churning out more and more kids tha they cant feed. Whats the point? Charity for Africa is the biggest waste of money possible, every time a person in the west thinks about donating to an african charties can save themselves time and also help save the rain forests, by wiping their asses on dollar bills instead of toilet paper. This would be a whole lot more productive.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
She was aware of the dangers, but tried anyway.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
Naive white person syndrome. When working for a non-profit I saw it many times.  The end result is someone gets hurt.  They have literally no concept of human nature.   They mentally live in a fantasy land in which life is like a bad cliché movie where the hero teaches the downtrodden to lift their voices.

During my first deployment, my direct supervisor was the prime example of this. A bright blonde National Guard chick from Seattle who saw the goodness and beauty in everything...that lasted until the first string indirect motar fire went down. It didn't change her mindset too much though...just temporarily.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »
During my first deployment, my direct supervisor was the prime example of this. A bright blonde National Guard chick from Seattle who saw the goodness and beauty in everything...that lasted until the first string indirect motar fire went down. It didn't change her mindset too much though...just temporarily.

Usually you always see these women at protests for human rights of some turd who entered the country illegally and left a trial of destruction and benefit fraud. You can never get through to these people, even if they are getting raped at the time by some terrorist they will still justify oh they must have had a disadvantaged upbringing or something.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
Was she really aware of the dangers, I meat time and time again we have seen these aid workers kidnapped and killed. Their help is not appreciated. Whilst my comment was off the cuff and somewhat frivolous, the concept of doing aid work in these countries is like "pissing against the wind" its pointless.
Im not trying to belittle her efforts, for sure the desire to go and help other people in times of need is a good thing, and the world would be a worse place without those people, but trying to help a people who neither want the help, nor will benefit from it, is a waste of time.

Its like sending aid to africa and supporting charities, what are you supporting. Keep giving food to a people who cant control their rate of reproduction, keep feeding them just enough so they keep on churning out more and more kids tha they cant feed. Whats the point? Charity for Africa is the biggest waste of money possible, every time a person in the west thinks about donating to an african charties can save themselves time and also help save the rain forests, by wiping their asses on dollar bills instead of toilet paper. This would be a whole lot more productive.

Now youre stating a different premise. My response was only an acknowledgment that she was most likely aware of the danger and the reality of the situation. I made no argument about whether or not her actions were meaningful or needed or justified or if they would matter or just a waste of time. just that she was probably well aware of the dangerous situation she was in.

discussing whether or not her actions are going to matter, is a whole different argument.
X

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
Now youre stating a different premise. My response was only an acknowledgment that she was most likely aware of the danger and the reality of the situation. I made no argument about whether or not her actions were meaningful or needed or justified or if they would matter or just a waste of time. just that she was probably well aware of the dangerous situation she was in.

discussing whether or not her actions are going to matter, is a whole different argument.

ok

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
I agree it's pretty dumb to go over to those regions, BUT, let's not bash the victim here.

She's a victim of her own stupidity. We have a responsibility, to humanity, to "bash" "victims" of their own stupidity. They shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. In her case, she seems to have taken care of that problem, because her stupidity got her dead, and that's a good thing for humanity.