Author Topic: Book(s) review  (Read 3384 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Book(s) review
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
Was on a diving trip last week and caught up reading in my down (land) time.

Hogans book - I was surprised I liked this so much.  I mean, it was really good.  Definately not the Hogan you have in mind when you are thinking about the one on TV.  He was very frank about his steroid use, the way he got started in the biz (had his leg broken first day of training camp to discourage him) and his personal/family life.  Would recommend reading. 

He talked about how the night he beat the Iron Shiek for the belt, he shattered his kneecap into 4 pieces with a knee drop but never took a day off afterwards.  Spoke about how he was so disappointed and pissed off in WCW when after the nWo build up with Sting for their epic (haha) match that took over a year to come to materialize, Sting showed up for the match fat and out of shape.  And blew the ending by being so gassed out and blown up that he couldn't lift his shoulder to kick out after Hogans pin attempt, thus screwing up the entire outcome and angle.  He had a year to get in amazing shape and instead didn't do shit mostly.  Even the Sting in the rafters was not the real Steve Borden most of the time.

Read Jerichos second book Around the World In Spandex (or something like that) and his was good too.  He is probably the only person to write in depth about Chris Benoit.  Said he knew something was "off" with Benoit at Eddy's funeral.  How Chris ran up to him and embraced him in a rib crushing hug for over 5 minutes just crying.  Then was pissed off Jericho was not a pall bearer.  Told Jericho "here take this flower and put it on his casket before they lower.  Here take it.  Promise me you will do that.  Eddy would want you to.  Here take it".   But when Jericho tried to take it, Benoit wouldn't let go.  Very frank with his time in WWE and how he fucked up in the beginning by having a "WCW" attitude.

Red Harvest - Zombie Star Wars book - had potential but didn't reach what it could have been.  Yeah, not a wrestling book but I read it anyway.  Fuck it.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Book(s) review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:37:02 AM »
Interesting accounts.

Why was Sting off for a year - did Hogan mention? I know he appeared in a couple of movie roles around that time.

I seem to remember reading other Jericho anecdotes regarding Benoit. I recall watching one of Piper's shoot interviews recorded several years before the incident. Piper mentioned Benoit had kind of a glassy-eyed, "hundred-yard stare" backstage, and Roddy told him to take it easy and don't burn out.

I suspect Benoit's problems had been brewing and growing for some time. He didn't suffer just some acute "snap" attack.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
Interesting accounts.

Why was Sting off for a year - did Hogan mention? I know he appeared in a couple of movie roles around that time.

I seem to remember reading other Jericho anecdotes regarding Benoit. I recall watching one of Piper's shoot interviews recorded several years before the incident. Piper mentioned Benoit had kind of a glassy-eyed, "hundred-yard stare" backstage, and Roddy told him to take it easy and don't burn out.

I suspect Benoit's problems had been brewing and growing for some time. He didn't suffer just some acute "snap" attack.
Sting suffered a shoulder injury so he took a good 8 months off. I remember hearing about it and reading about it afterward. When Sting returned he "found God" and got off the gas and looked pretty shitty.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:05 AM »
Sting suffered a shoulder injury so he took a good 8 months off. I remember hearing about it and reading about it afterward. When Sting returned he "found God" and got off the gas and looked pretty shitty.

Thanks!!
I never knew that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »

Thanks!!
I never knew that.
Lol..your welcome brother  8)
Let's not forget about "finding God".... ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
Lol..your welcome brother  8)
Let's not forget about "finding God".... ::)

Everybody "finds God" when they fuck up!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »

Everybody "finds God" when they fuck up!
Lets see.....Lugar, Blanchard, Michaels, DiBiase, Jake Roberts, DDP, Eddie G....any more?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
Lets see.....Lugar, Blanchard, Michaels, DiBiase, Jake Roberts, DDP, Eddie G....any more?

Even Benoit placed Bibles by the corpses of his victims.

Good job, Chrissy. I'm sure that'll get you into Heaven!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »

Even Benoit placed Bibles by the corpses of his victims.

Good job, Chrissy. I'm sure that'll get you into Heaven!!
But of course  ;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:05:08 AM »
Interesting accounts.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Hogan didn't offer any explanation about Sting's shitty conditioning.  Just that he was away from the business that long and didn't do shit.   Except rack up money on the merchandising sales.  Half the time the Sting in the rafters was an imposter.  The times that Steve Borden actually did show up was when he was needed in the ring or for close up camera work. 

But Hogan was extremely pissed that Sting looked fat and disgusting when he came back and had the stamina of an 85 year old asthma patient. 

Hogan did talk a lot about his divorce and his son Nicks accident that left the other guy messed up. 

One thing I was surprised he didn't really talk about was the entire WCW Ultimate Warrior fiasco and shitty angle.  That was all Warrior's idea and the higher ups allowed him to write the entire angle himself.  (I did read Bischoff's book as well a while back - see my other review - and the story matched up)  Hogan went along with it because he had no choice.  Except to exercise contract character control and disappear. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Also in Jerichos second book I listed above (it was actually so good I plan on reading his first one again when I am in Europe for three weeks next month), he goes into details on his backstage fight with Goldberg and how after Goldberg charged him and Chris locked on a front face lock and rode him to the ground, Bill spent the next ten minutes struggling to escape and trying to power his way out of the hold to no avail.  When Jericho finally did let him go, Bill jumped up and ran to Vince to whine and complain.  The entire locker room watched the entire thing play out and was laughing and texting all their friends while it was going on. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
Also in Jerichos second book I listed above (it was actually so good I plan on reading his first one again when I am in Europe for three weeks next month), he goes into details on his backstage fight with Goldberg and how after Goldberg charged him and Chris locked on a front face lock and rode him to the ground, Bill spent the next ten minutes struggling to escape and trying to power his way out of the hold to no avail.  When Jericho finally did let him go, Bill jumped up and ran to Vince to whine and complain.  The entire locker room watched the entire thing play out and was laughing and texting all their friends while it was going on. 
Yup..true story. Just cause you have big muscles doesn't make you a fighter. Good for Jericho.

Reminds me of Paul Orndorff lumping out a 400lb Vader in WCW. After the fight, Vader cried like a suck to the WCW upper brass.