Author Topic: "How much do you bench?"  (Read 18462 times)

TheShape.

• Getbig V
"How much do you bench?"
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
So at least 3 times a day at work, people compliment my physique because it's just too overpowering,with my godlike v taper, small waist, and being 3.27 Heaths wide. But anyways the same bullshit routine of conversation ensues where someone says, "Oh! You must work out? Where do you work out?" And stuff like that. Anyways, this guy who walks with a limp, narrow clavicles, potbelly genetic defective, who looks like he never worked out a day in his life asks me how much I bench. So I tell him I don't ego lift so I don't know, and hope he just goes away after my response. Well, he goes on to tell me that he himself is very strong and benched 450 in his prime. Then he says with a serious face that he still can rep 365 for 5 reps. The story smelled of horse shit so I just nodded and said "That's very good." Where do people get off with these inflated bench claims? A legit 405 bench is rare, hell, even a clean 315 press is rare. Most of the time someone claims a high bench they only go down a half inch and have their buddy deadlift it off of them. /Rant

Knooger

• Getbig V
Re: "How much do you bench?"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
How much do you bench? I can rep 405 about 112 times.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »
hate that question as there is always some dude they know if not them who is bigger and better. Or... "I was your size before, a bit bigger even" Yes.. Always a bit bigger, of course you were!

Then they always pull up their sleeve, flex and say "see, touch, still hard!" and if you agree (just to shut them up) their ego is inflated or if you say what you think, you're an asshole.

Just can't win with these people, lol...
?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »
hate that question as there is always some dude they know if not them who is bigger and better. Or... "I was your size before, a bit bigger even" Yes.. Always a bit bigger, of course you were!

Then they always pull up their sleeve, flex and say "see, touch, still hard!" and if you agree (just to shut them up) their ego is inflated or if you say what you think, you're an asshole.

Just can't win with these people, lol...

The best is when they say something like, "Oh yeah, my brother or father or uncle or friend used to be a bodybuilder. He was huge." Then you see a picture of these so called bodybuilders and they are either skinny with abs or weigh 400 pounds.
X

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
I rarlely see anyone bench even over 315 on the gyms I go to(not as much roids in Sweden as in US i think). If it is then it's a big guy that you can see has power for it. A regular looking guy to tell me he benches those numbers I would just in general say "no you don't".

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
The best is when they say something like, "Oh yeah, my brother or father or uncle or friend used to be a bodybuilder. He was huge." Then you see a picture of these so called bodybuilders and they are either skinny with abs or weigh 400 pounds.

Yup.
Worst is... Lots of skinny ass rakes at my gym can dumbell press 90's-100's but never could do 2 plates.
Not sure which muscles they're using to go from point A to point B but meh... Not important, lol, they all look like shit...
?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
I usually see spotters do more upright rows than the bencher doing bench

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:13:46 AM »
I rarlely see anyone bench even over 315 on the gyms I go to(not as much roids in Sweden as in US i think). If it is then it's a big guy that you can see has power for it. A regular looking guy to tell me he benches those numbers I would just in general say "no you don't".

Very true, but I've been surprised too many times by dudes who can bench more than me, lol! I guess when you don't train back or legs, you can muster out some good bench numbers...
?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:44 AM »
I like the one my arm was twice the size of yours,,,ok wow 34 inches that must have been insane..

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
I usually see spotters do more upright rows than the bencher doing bench

up right rows at first, then flat out bent over rows to assist the clown to then high five him with the standard "it was all you" comment.
?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
up right rows at first, then flat out bent over rows to assist the clown to then high five him with the standard "it was all you" comment.

This skinny clown once asked me to spot him.  I said ok.  He was trying to lift more than he could.  He barely got the first rep up and the second he was at a dead stop about an inch from his chest.  He was essentially going to squish himself so I help him finish the rep.  he gets up all mad at how he had that and how I ruined his set.  I told him to fuck off and find another spotter and went back to my workout.  Delusional fucking idiots.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
about 4 plates , on the hammer , hardcore baby

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
This skinny clown once asked me to spot him.  I said ok.  He was trying to lift more than he could.  He barely got the first rep up and the second he was at a dead stop about an inch from his chest.  He was essentially going to squish himself so I help him finish the rep.  he gets up all mad at how he had that and how I ruined his set.  I told him to fuck off and find another spotter and went back to my workout.  Delusional fucking idiots.

Very good explanation as to why I make 0 eye contact with anyone to avoid living such situations, lol... Not gonna inflate his ego by allowing him to even think he can pull that shit off.
?

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »

This has happened to me before. The guy complained that he usually gets 10 to twelve reps with his usual spotter and only got one when I spotted him.
S

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »
I like the one my arm was twice the size of yours,,,ok wow 34 inches that must have been insane..

Celebrated getbigger MattC wrote a 50-post treatise/meltdown on this topic once.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
Jokes on you guys.  Nobody bothers me about this crap.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
10 plates , ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)course they're all 5's.....
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »
10 plates , ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)course they're all 5's.....

Relax creepy old man schmoe, nobody is accusing your muscleman hero Pat Casey of not being strong.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
I'm too jacked for most to be brave enough to tell me their "has been" stories, but these who does, I simply answer "350lb.....for 6-7 reps.", the next question is usualy for how long I've been training and I say that for well over a decade, then they change topic (as even a though of doing something that requires will and determination for so many years to most is uncomprehensible).
 Drunk guys are the most annoying, I try to escape a possible convo as fast as I can as most likely there will be a question "Yeah man... but why do you do that?" (translation - why aren't you like me... out of shape, drinking and being lazy).

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I'm too jacked for most to be brave enough to tell me their "has been" stories, but these who does, I simply answer "350lb.....for 6-7 reps.", the next question is usualy for how long I've been training and I say that for well over a decade, then they change topic (as even a though of doing something that requires will and determination for so many years to most is uncomprehensible).
 Drunk guys are the most annoying, I try to escape a possible convo as fast as I can as most likely there will be a question "Yeah man... but why do you do that?" (translation - why aren't you like me... out of shape, drinking and being lazy).

was doorman for 6 fuckin' years. Have had my ear chewed off like ya wouldn't believe. If not hearing about their massive and impressive beer muscles, it was their epic fighting skills I'd hear about.
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
this has been posted before but well...i know itīs not really funny but FFS...

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
was doorman for 6 fuckin' years. Have had my ear chewed off like ya wouldn't believe. If not hearing about their massive and impressive beer muscles, it was their epic fighting skills I'd hear about.

One of the most bizarre I ever had was some guy who made it a point to walk clear across the gym and the first words of his mouth to me was, "I could have lifted that much today but my shoulder has been bothering me"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 09:27:42 AM »
The best answer to the Question of "how much do you bench"  is  MORE THAN YOU.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
Relax creepy old man schmoe, nobody is accusing your muscleman hero Pat Casey of not being strong.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D you verrry verrry funnny guy,,,, not funny ha ha funny queer.
F

ramana

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
i love degrading doorman with ILS