Author Topic: The New York Pro Show formerly Known as The Night of Champions is Dull  (Read 10361 times)

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
The Night of Champions used to kick ass at the beacon theatre in New York, now it's known as the New York Pro, and I think it's not as Extravaganza as it used to be. Last year the show was plain boring. Shame.
Get Big, or Die Trying

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: The New York Pro Show formerly Known as The Night of Champions is Dull
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 02:54:06 PM »
The Night of Champions used to kick ass at the beacon theatre in New York, now it's known as the New York Pro, and I think it's not as Extravaganza as it used to be. Last year the show was plain boring. Shame.
when iz this year show and where

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
what was different
Z

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 03:16:53 PM »
I did the Night of Champions twice and each time they had to close of half the street because there were so many fans out front cars couldnt get passed , and we (the athletes) had to be guided in through the back of the theater as we couldnt get in via the front for to many fans !!!!

It is a shame it has lost that atmosphere !!!

It was awesom !!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 03:24:46 PM »
I did the Night of Champions twice and each time they had to close of half the street because there were so many fans out front cars couldnt get passed , and we (the athletes) had to be guided in through the back of the theater as we couldnt get in via the front for to many fans !!!!
It is a shame it has lost that atmosphere !!!
It was awesom !!
so, where iz it this year and when?

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »
I was under the under standing that Wayne Demilla owned the name "Night of Champions" in this context, and that when he left the IFBB the name went with him along with the presteige that went with it !!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »
but what changed other than the name?
Z

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:49:27 PM »
Steve Weinberger is now the promoter.  It will be held at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center, (Manhattan City College) on May 20

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
Steve Weinberger is now the promoter.  It will be held at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center, (Manhattan City College) on May 20
know it well.  190 chambers street  downdown near ground zero.  excellent location.  iz there a website?  thanks in advance.

MULTIPLICATION

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:02:51 PM »

the truth has been spoken by timfogarty nugga.

MULT
I'm Mexican.

Dark_Matter

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:46:37 PM »
That is a shitty college auditorium where NPC shows were held(Icompeted at a few shows.) The pros deserve much better! When it was held at the Beacon the crowds out front were so large that you'd swear Bodybuilding had just gained main stream acceptance. They need to bring it back there.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:57:45 PM »
you loved the glitzy glamorous flamboyant Beacon theatre marquee out front didnt you? maybe it was booked. perhaps the Waverly theatre in greenwich village is still available.

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

Well that blows any chance of me ever winning it then if Steve is now the owner!!! :D

Stavios

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »
will you compete again in the futur marc ?

I have only seen 1 pic of you, maybe you could post some

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »
you loved the glitzy glamorous flamboyant Beacon theatre marquee out front didnt you? maybe it was booked. perhaps the Waverly theatre in greenwich village is still available.

This is the second year at the Tribeca auditorium for the New York Pro.  It's where Weinberger holds all his NPC and IFBB contests.  The NY Pro Figure, NY Pro Fitness, and Master's Pro World are also all being held there.  It is also much smaller than the Beacon theater. 

newmom

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 06:19:53 PM »
i went to the 2003 npc and thought it was good but the seats are tiny..i could swear it was at the city center that year

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »
This is the second year at the Tribeca auditorium for the New York Pro.  It's where Weinberger holds all his NPC and IFBB contests.  The NY Pro Figure, NY Pro Fitness, and Master's Pro World are also all being held there.  It is also much smaller than the Beacon theater. 
and lower rent

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 07:31:44 PM »
The Night of Champs had grandure and prestiege attached with it , this was partly due to the name and also the venue, it was well reconised that if you did well there you would go onto greatness. When I did it , both years there where around 45 or more guys there from every part of the globe, there was no room on stage and no room left in the theater, the atmosphere was deafing and electric,it took me 20 mins to get from the Beacon hotel(beside the theater) to inside the theater because of the fans in the morn of the prejudging ,it was crazy, sighning autographs and what not , and I was a nobody !!!
After my second NOC show me Shaun Davis and Ernie Taylor and our partners got a limo to go eat , the limo line was like 2 blocks long and it took us like 30 mins to get through the growd to get in the damm car !!The cops had blocked of half the street because there were so many fans they were all over the road !! It was fantastic
Dont know what the NY show is like now but that is how it was when I was there !!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
chambers street theatre has about 900 seats and is more modern and less glitz in lower manhattan

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 08:30:51 PM »
The Beacon Theater was a real rathole, but the location (NYC) was always cool, and the atmosphere was as jacked as you can get for a bodybuilding event. We always got drunk and called Wayne Demilla, Mrs. Demilla. One time he told us to "Fuck off!" and we started laughing even harder and he got all butt hurt.  ;D
a

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »
The Night of Champions was the Pre-Olympia to me. I miss the intensity, the eager crowd, and all the crazy fans. Last year I attended the Now New york pro. Quite frankly, I felt like I was at an Amateur Show. It was awful, there were Hardly any big name at the Expo. It was truly sad for me to see. but, as a true Bodybuilding fan, I'll always support this show, no matter how it turns out to be.
Get Big, or Die Trying

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »
That is a shitty college auditorium where NPC shows were held(Icompeted at a few shows.) The pros deserve much better! When it was held at the Beacon the crowds out front were so large that you'd swear Bodybuilding had just gained main stream acceptance. They need to bring it back there.

You have $50,000 to rent out the Beacon Theatre/Town Hall??

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »
with enough promotion, 50k shouldn't be a problem. The NOC is the best show in the east coast
Get Big, or Die Trying

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 03:44:26 PM »

What ever the cost of the Theater was , Wayne Demilla managed to make it work for him, the money saved by moving it from the Beacon obviously hasnt gone into a more elaberate production or a raise in the prize purse !!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
I was under the under standing that Wayne Demilla owned the name "Night of Champions" in this context, and that when he left the IFBB the name went with him along with the presteige that went with it !!

You are correct, Wayne does own the name "Night of the Champions".