Author Topic: Going to NYC (Manhattan) next week, what's good around there?  (Read 8158 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Going to NYC (Manhattan) next week, what's good around there?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
Flying out Sunday and will be there til Friday night. If any getbiggers fancy a string bourbon based mixed drink and a Cuban cigar let me know...I'll get try first round  :D

Aj isn't Boston 4hrs away by train?

3 by Acela. I wish I had another reason to be down there, but I don't...yet.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
Do NOT go to the NYSC at the Rockefeller Center.  Good lord, you will need a tetanus shot once you leave there.  That is one sorry ass busted up gym.  Right around the corner is a fantastic Equinox that has a lot of equipment geared towards serious lifters. 

Don't let the pavement apes approach you with their "hottest selling CD" either.  "It's free, just listen to it man, you will like it, we just need some feed back... oh we need a donation."  If they put it in your hands or bag or whatever, they won't take it back.  Throw that shit on the sidewalk and leave.  If you do give them a dollar they say "we need bigger donation".  Fuck that shit.  And when you get it home and try to play it, it's blank.  Which I guess sounds a lot better than anything they could have done.

If you ride the subway and have to change trains, it's like a double feature.  Otherwise, my advice is to avoid.  I have never rode it before and judging from the people that I see entering and exiting, and from the pics posted on the random pic thread here, I don't want to either.

Be prepared to wait in line at Shake Shack.

Ruth Chris in Times Square has a great happy hour menu.  Lot of plates (sliders, shrimp appetizers, steak sandwiches, spicy lobster, etc..) for $8 each.  Order two and it will be enough.  No need to gorge yourself.  But they fill up quick. 

Carmines in TS is awesome too.  That is a LOT of food.  Go with at least 4 people.

Best touristy thing to do is the Hop on Hop Off bus.  The tour guides are really informative and will direct you to places you would never find on your own or hear about.  If you find a tour guide that knows the PDT bar... get directions and go.  It's worth a visit and drink.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Try the coke I hear it's great, also 1 out of 4 chicks have herpes so you may want to wrap it up tight

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
Go to Carmines on 91 st on Broadway. The price is right and the food is great. I believe it's the original Carmines. Everything they serve is served family style where they bring out a huge main plate with more than enough food for two.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:51 AM »
A getbigger all through 8)

OT: Get a porterhouse at Peter Luger, medium rare.

This place is awesome!!  As I recall they didn't take Credit card. Be prepared, I took clients and our bill was like $500

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 05:29:30 AM »
Go train with OMR.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
This place is awesome!!  As I recall they didn't take Credit card. Be prepared, I took clients and our bill was like $500

I have a limit on expenses from the company, will see how that goes.....but that stake is hard to resist.

How did your playa trip pan out? I spent those two weeks moving back n forth between London and snowy Denmark.
S

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 05:49:57 AM »
I have a limit on expenses from the company, will see how that goes.....but that stake is hard to resist.

How did your playa trip pan out? I spent those two weeks moving back n forth between London and snowy Denmark.
Does you company know that you cant spell steak correctly?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:42 AM »
Walt's Wine and Dine if you want a good sports bar.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »
Does you company know that you cant spell steak correctly?

Not really. Cos steak won't be coming up in my usual business emails and write ups. Stake and stakes yes.
S

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »

Playa was brilliant! 15 days down there was just what the doctor ordered.  Hit a bunch of the parties, did some scuba diving, relaxing, etc..  You definitely need to make an effort to hit BPM up next year.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:05 AM »
http://www.themorgan.org/

this place is nice
"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:18 AM »
I'll be in the Manhattan area for a week next week as I'm helping some guys do a take over and I'm overseeing the due dilligence process, expecting long hours so only free in the evenings.

I'm not a touristy person, so not intrested in queuing up with euro families to see the usual sights....but at the same time I'd like to enjoy my stay in the evenings...what's good around there and recommendations for a handsome solo traveller? I've pinned down a cigar lounge not far from my hotel....food places haven't thought much about it...is there unmissable things whilst I'm there or shall I just stay in my hotel room and masturbate viciously til I pass out every night?

What's he taking over?  A Falafel stand?  If you want a good cigar lounge go to club macanudo.

26 E 63rd St, New York, NY 10065
(212) 752-8200

As for food.  Pick up a rock, throw it and wherever it lands go to the restaurant near it.  There are just way too many awesome places to eat there.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
What's he taking over?  A Falafel stand?  If you want a good cigar lounge go to club macanudo.

26 E 63rd St, New York, NY 10065
(212) 752-8200

As for food.  Pick up a rock, throw it and wherever it lands go to the restaurant near it.  There are just way too many awesome places to eat there.

Skorpio recommended club macanudo for a meetup, but its not my type of place. That, and I don't smoke cigars.
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »
Avoid Ruth's Chris.  It is great but a chain.  Carmine's is good italian but again there is one in Vegas.  Right now the hipster paradise is Brooklyn. So many great places to eat but otherwise Brooklyn is a shit hole and you'll feel like you're in Birmingham.

Go to Katz Deli for the best Pastrami sammy.  So fucking good.  Of course have some pizza.  No matter who you ask you'll get a different answer on who makes the best pie. 

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/10/the_10_best_pizzas_in_nyc.php

That link should help.  Luger's is a fantastic choice for steak.  best burger of your life is  at Minetta's.  Holy fuck, it's the black label burger.

Shake Shack is ok but there are a few now so the lines aren't too bad if you don't go right at lunch hour.  As for clubs, they have clubs that rival those of Vegas.  Some people think they're better but expect to pay and pay a lot to get in and to buy a drink.  You can wait in line or just grease the doorman.  If you're cool just tell him you're from London visiting and he may just let you right in.  It's all about attitude.

For shits if the weather is nice, which lately hasn't been, take a stroll down Madison Ave.  You are bound to see the hottest females in your life.  Of course Times square.  It's the zoo of NYC.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »
dude Manhattan is the fkng truth...just go out, walk around...you're  a strapping handsome fella...the shit will find you.  you'll be working with New yorkers, yes?  find the "cool" guy and buddy up to him.  there is so muhch shit to do in NYC it's ridiculous

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:58 AM »
Avoid Ruth's Chris.  It is great but a chain.  Carmine's is good italian but again there is one in Vegas.  Right now the hipster paradise is Brooklyn. So many great places to eat but otherwise Brooklyn is a shit hole and you'll feel like you're in Birmingham.

Go to Katz Deli for the best Pastrami sammy.  So fucking good.  Of course have some pizza.  No matter who you ask you'll get a different answer on who makes the best pie. 

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/10/the_10_best_pizzas_in_nyc.php

That link should help.  Luger's is a fantastic choice for steak.  best burger of your life is  at Minetta's.  Holy fuck, it's the black label burger.

Shake Shack is ok but there are a few now so the lines aren't too bad if you don't go right at lunch hour.  As for clubs, they have clubs that rival those of Vegas.  Some people think they're better but expect to pay and pay a lot to get in and to buy a drink.  You can wait in line or just grease the doorman.  If you're cool just tell him you're from London visiting and he may just let you right in.  It's all about attitude.

For shits if the weather is nice, which lately hasn't been, take a stroll down Madison Ave.  You are bound to see the hottest females in your life.  Of course Times square.  It's the zoo of NYC.

Ruth Chris is a chain, but the food is great and you can't beat the Happy Hour menu if you are looking for good food without dropping a decent coin by NYC prices.  

Katz is the pits.  $18.50 for a sandwich?  On bread that is way too hard and too dry?  No thanks, made that mistake once.  It's a landmark and has some history to it, but I would not recommend it to anyone on their first visit to NYC.  Too many other places to go.  

Agree about Brooklyn.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
dude Manhattan is the fkng truth...just go out, walk around...you're  a strapping handsome fella...the shit will find you.  you'll be working with New yorkers, yes?  find the "cool" guy and buddy up to him.  there is so muhch shit to do in NYC it's ridiculous

I second this notion.  Just go walk around.  Shit finds you there.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »
New York Giants TE Larry Donnell on plane that skidded off runway in NYC

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »

yes, but it gets old. Ive lived here my whole life. But for tourists, its definitely fun.
X

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
yes, but it gets old. Ive lived here my whole life. But for tourists, its definitely fun.

i know thats your stomping grounds, but i was there twice on vacation didnt like it at all, loved boston and chicago waaay more

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »

i know thats your stomping grounds, but i was there twice on vacation didnt like it at all, loved boston and chicago waaay more

Ive  been to boston and chicago. I love NYC. I think its the best city in the world!  ;D ;D but of course I am biased!

But manhattan got old for me. Ive been to pretty much every museum, zoo, historical site, etc. The last time I was in manhattan was over 2 years ago. I only go if I have to.
X

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »

That's to be said about anywhere you reside.  I've seen too many people move here to Ft Lauderdale thinking that they are going to be partying all the time, hitting the beach every chance they get, etc...  and three to six months later they are going "ok, now what is there to do?"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »
Ruth Chris is a chain, but the food is great and you can't beat the Happy Hour menu if you are looking for good food without dropping a decent coin by NYC prices. 

Katz is the pits.  $18.50 for a sandwich?  On bread that is way too hard and too dry?  No thanks, made that mistake once.  It's a landmark and has some history to it, but I would not recommend it to anyone on their first visit to NYC.  Too many other places to go. 

Agree about Brooklyn.

I've noticed Carnegie and Katz has had issues with quality, sort of banking on their legacy but the kids who run it aren't as passionate as their parents were, but it's still a good place if you like pastrami.  They are landmarks though and fun to at least go once.  Best dessert if you like cheesecake is Juniors.  I know that Skorp loves his desserts. But their prices are a little jacked up lately as well.  I can't stand these fucking places that are historic based on good food and quality then turn themselves into tourist traps raping visitors.

Don't forget the Cronut at Ansel's.  hahaha.  I haven't eaten one but have heard they are just sick.  they lines are horrible, and if you preorder you have to plan a few days in advance.  I still want one though  189 Spring St, New York, NY 10012

falco

• Getbig V